Friend Overstayed

Hello

I have a friend who has overstayed for about 3 years now. She is 87 and doesn't have any money apart from what a few friends donate.

She has been living in Thailand since the early 70's and was ripped off of her savings by some scumbag.

She is happy living here but I am worried about what happens is she is ever caught by the immigration police.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks

The Laird

54 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

The Legal solution would be to surrender herself at the Airport (not at a Immigration office as this would lead her to being locked in a cell) pay the overstay fine and accept the overstay ban that would come her way, probably 5-10 years

If she has no desire to return home for good or return after her ban her only other option is to do nothing, hope for the best and hope that she is never caught

Sounds like she is not in a good position, I wish her well

She would surrender herself to who at the airport if she wanted to avoid immigration? 

11 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

She would surrender herself to who at the airport if she wanted to avoid immigration? 

I meant Immigration at the Airport as opposed to a Immigration office within Thailand

Although not clearly stated I would have thought that  "pay the overstay fine and accept the overstay ban that would come her way, probably 5-10 years" would make it clear she would be dealing with Immigration at the Airport as it would be them that deal with the fine and the ban

Hope this clears things up for you

While no one can help with her immigration issues (the advice already given to keep a low profile and do nothing is the best that can be done) I wonder if everything has been done to check her eligibility for financial assistance. Depending on her nationality, she might have an automatic right to some state assistance.

Unfortunately this is a fate which awaits many of the first expat generations in Thailand. Especially if you don't have any Thai relatives. The government made it officialy clear that they don't want any of these in their country. There is also no law which could make any exceptions like Extraordinary circumstances if you live here already for decades and have no other home. Just can only hope that the immigration lets you walk on if they find out. But if you get into any legal troubles you would always end in IDC or deport back to that far planet where your passport is from.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Doesn't she just check-in in the usual way and when she attempts to pass through the Immigration checkpoint she'll be apprehended? At that point she has a ticket out of the country and a boarding pass, so it then gets to be an over-stay issue

Sorry, I didn't know I needed to be a poster of the year to post here.

Her nationality is not your concern and doesn't matter.
She is very healthy and can travel.
Her passport is valid but she doesn't want to go anywhere. Al three of her husbands have died and she has no relatives left abroad.

There's a few friends give her an amount of cash every month. Frankly, you should learn from us and look after your friends. this includes finding out how she could be saved from possible jail or deportation.

She;s an old friend of 20 years and has lived here for over 40 years.

Thanks to all the positive replies.

Well said mate!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheLairdofCockPen said:

Sorry, I didn't know I needed to be a poster of the year to post here.

Her nationality is not your concern and doesn't matter.

She is very healthy and can travel.

Her passport is valid but she doesn't want to go anywhere. Al three of her husbands have died and she has no relatives left abroad.

There's a few friends give her an amount of cash every month. Frankly, you should learn from us and look after your friends. this includes finding out how she could be saved from possible jail or deportation.

She;s an old friend of 20 years and has lived here for over 40 years.

Thanks to all the positive replies.

A good one and I fully agree.

I do some voluntary work for an organization that helps certain nationals in emergency situations but I haven't seen anything that she needs a babysitter. 

Reading the OP, I don't want to know her nationality. That would only be of interest if she'd need immediate help. 

Can you imagine- if American- she might be sent to a "concentration camp" in the States by the helpful poster? 

Or they might convict her to become a Mormon or similar? Let it be.....

"Take your time for your friends before time's taking them away from you." :stoner:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, darrendsd said:

The Legal solution would be to surrender herself at the Airport (not at a Immigration office as this would lead her to being locked in a cell) pay the overstay fine and accept the overstay ban that would come her way, probably 5-10 years

If she has no desire to return home for good or return after her ban her only other option is to do nothing, hope for the best and hope that she is never caught

Sounds like she is not in a good position, I wish her well

She has no money,  read again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, berybert said:

Has she got health insurance ?

Has anybody that age got health insurance? Only the very rich I would think, I do not know the full facts, but this being Thailand, I would think any health insurance company would keep increasing her annual payments until she could not afford it any more.

If she is from the UK, which from the OP it doesn't look like, what was the state pension for a woman thirty odd years ago?

Normally, when you start early with health insurance, the company put aside some money so at old age the fee increase is minimal. May be not in Thailand. But saying, only the "very" rich can afford health insurance, is nonsense. That might be valid only when you are 70 years or older if they take you at all.

1 minute ago, bermannor said:

Normally, when you start early with health insurance, the company put aside some money so at old age the fee increase is minimal. May be not in Thailand. But saying, only the "very" rich can afford health insurance, is nonsense. That might be valid only when you are 70 years or older if they take you at all.

A high percentage of posters propally fall in to that category.or not far of it