Salaeng

roger101

I've been using one for 10 years, ideal for shopping and getting around the place with lots of people or goods, transporting dirty stuff like garden waste to the village rubbish dump, and so on. The dog loves riding in it too, moreso than in the car. 

They're classed as an illegally modified vehicle so in principle you're liable to a 1000 Baht fine if you come across a cop with toothache. 99.9% of the time, though, they simply look the other way. I've had two fines in ten years, just pay up and be on your way. No need to wear a crash helmet either. Plus I had a sun awning fitted so it keeps it nice and shady, especially at the hottest time of the year when the sun is right overhead. The dog may like it but as I get older I find the AC in the car gets more and more attractive.

Rayong is full of salaengs and the police don't seem to bother people on them, Ban Phe town centre is clogged with them. We have one and I'm not keen on driving it as it's only stable in a straight line depending on road camber and wants to go off the road to the left when you open the throttle, close the throttle or use the brakes. We had a scooter converted so that we could carry around a petrol lawnmower and garden tools + waste instead of piling everything into a Ford Fiesta.  As Guderian said dogs love riding in one but you then have to put up with being chased by dogs when spotted.  I think the main reason I dislike driving one even though I had big bike experience in the UK is that my brain is hardwired into a motorbike leaning in a corner and I still find myself putting my feet down when coming to a stop.