Holiday road-death toll soars despite authorities’ crackdown

webfact

so what was the final stat then. there was one more day to go,that is what they are trotting out. i want to see final figures, as they have passed last years figure already, you cannot tell me that no one died on the last day.

what sort of a boss would congratulate, the transport minister and all the safety experts for a job well done, as to road safety,when statistics prove otherwise, ah this was the same guy who congratulated, the cops for solving the murder of the 2 English kids.

I'm sure there is an explanation, but I fail to see how these days are particularly more dangerous than other days of the year on Thai roads. Thailand has 26 000 deaths on the road each year, which is about 71 per day. 426 in six days is about 71 per day, quite the usual daily death toll.

16 minutes ago, Calach said:

I'm sure there is an explanation, but I fail to see how these days are particularly more dangerous than other days of the year on Thai roads. Thailand has 26 000 deaths on the road each year, which is about 71 per day. 426 in six days is about 71 per day, quite the usual daily death toll.

Exactly. Not to mention that during the long holiday period there are bound to be more people on the roads, so the hype is largely unjustified - but it has reached the international media now due to the very tragic accident in Chonburi so they are trying to show that they are doing something.

Edited by arithai12
typo

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I was more interested in some of the details rather than the simple head count. They reckon speeding and alcohol was each around 30% contributory. Motorcycles were around 80% of total accidents so nothing new there. The only new statistic (to me) was the majority of all accidents happening between 4 PM and 8 PM. The mad rush to get home/fed/watered before sun down maybe? Or the driver fatigue inevitably kicking in after maybe 6 to 8 hours on the road, the failing light and the 5 PM local rush hours in provincial towns and villages?

Yeah, that one interested me as well, I was thinking about this last night and I came to the same conclusions that you did, I think your last sentence has probably hit the nail on the head. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Six of the so-called seven dangerous days saw 426 deaths and 3,761 injuries in 3,579 road accidents – marking an across-the-board increase from 340 deaths and 3,216 injuries in 3,092 accidents over the same period last year – the Road Safety Directing Centre announced yesterday.

Take a bow Mr. Prayuth you did a wonderful job again this year. Your message is not resonating. Makes one want to cry. I tried to picture 426 people lined up end to end and gave up to mind boggling. My best wishes go out to the injured. May you live to live another day. 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

You cannot fix stupid, Meek and mild Thais become stupid crazy idiots when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Have all the campaigns you want, it will make no difference what so ever.

You may not believe this Colin, but I have found that the driving and riding in Bangkok has really improved a lot in recent years.

The worst driving and riding I have seen in my motorbike travels, is without doubt in Isaan, particularly in Roi Et. Really dreadful.

One theory of this 4-8pm time factor may be the Thai drivers unwillingness to turn on their headlights..?

(Well that may contribute towards accidents between 5.30pm & 6.30).

Many drivers in town forget alltogether to turn on their lights..Where-as m/cycle riders turn them off to save power...

..or put a dog in the basket as a 'headlight de-fuser'... Numptys!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Udon Thani reported the highest number of accidents

no surprise, ... feels like New Years up here all year long...

FWIW, every study I have ever seen shows that the number one way to reduce accidents and fatalities is improving driver training. That is not an overnight fix... 

12 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

FWIW, every study I have ever seen shows that the number one way to reduce accidents and fatalities is improving driver training. That is not an overnight fix... 

Yes, but unfortunately a driver or rider would need to want to be trained, and that does not apply to Thai drivers. Forcing them to do driver or rider

training would be meaningless once they are on the roads by themselves, there is just no road awareness or common sense among them.

12 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

I wonder how the PM and the people in charge feels when every long holiday that

comes they KNOW that 400-500 of their people will parish in a matter of few days

from now? dose it bother any body up there or this is a case of ' Oh well, we are

doing the best already" kind of situation?....

Nice typo. I make lots myself.

I agree with what you said.

The "powers that be" don't know how to deal with the situation, so it continues year after year. They need help but will not ask for fear of losing face.

Over the holiday there were several parties in the village.  It appears the same people where <deleted> faced by lunchtime everyday.  My guess is the same scene was repeated a million times all over LOS.   It's sad to see how stupid people really are. :sad: 

On 1/5/2017 at 6:20 AM, dbrenn said:

Another sign that nobody listens to the old general anymore. 

And just yesterday he commended all government staff on a job well done. Me thinks he's off his meds again.

A few weeks ago we started a loose pool to guess the number of road fatalities. My wild guess was 475. The final was I read 478. I decided to donate the10,000 THB to an orphanage which has taken a number of parent-less children from many type of losses of family members.