Dengue Vaccination

Oxx

This is actually something I'm interested in getting, so I asked Samitivej for the cost.  For the 3 shots it's 9,600 baht, plus 1,000 - 1,500 for the doctor.  Can't help but thinking this is on the expensive side.  Is it worth it? Will the cost come down if I wait? Any opinions?

There's no vaccination for dengue, only partially effective methods that are in the development stage. Those you can get for a few hundred bucks might work or might not. 

Even the body can't develop full resistance to dengue. The antibodies it creates during the first infection are useless if you get infected again. 

There is a vaccine, and it is new and under patent so will be many years before the price comes down.

You might get it for a little less at a less expensive hospital - certainly the doctor fee would be less - but the difference won't be huge and not that many hospitals yet have it. In fact last I heard Samitivej was the only place that so far did.

You could also give this place a call and ask if they expect to have it any time soon, if so they'll be as inexpensive as anywhere  http://www.medconsultasia.com/vaccinations

It's not on their list currently, but who knows, they may get it in sometime in the forseeable future especially if enough people express an interest. The savings will be small though. Most of this cost is the drug itself. Bear in mind it took decades of testing to develop.

Up to you what you want to do but as one who has had Dengue (3 times!) I can assure you it is well worth the vaccine cost to avoid. Risk is quite small until the rainy season starts though so waiting a few months won't matter (unless you're down south) but i wouldn't wait beyond that.

problem with any vaccine, will be   :

how much of a harm reduction does it provide ,  vs.  personal risk  of contracting said  disease.   which will vary . 

If your in dengue endemic area, indefinitely ? 

if the cost is $1000, and its reducing disease by only 40%,  of hemorraghic type dengue  or something,   and like the Typhoid Vax,  lasting only 5 years, then requiring another $1000  , then  whom knows.

If you find out the availability and cost  please post  back  here, I'd be interested ....

9 minutes ago, chubby said:

If you find out the availability and cost  please post  back  here, I'd be interested ....

Available at Samitivej Sukhumwit and Srinakarin.

To quote from an email:

"As per your request, the price of dengue fever vaccination package is 9,600 THB (3 doses), this price exclude doctors fee and hospital service charge about 1,000 - 1,500 THB.

We recommend you to come and have initial consultation with our doctors and they will prescribe the vaccine during the consultation. You can walk-in to see our doctor everyday from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM, please contact our registration counter (1st Floor, Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital)".

and it works on  all type of dengue?  and reduces  risk   how much  for each  , you have to return later for the next 2 injections, so each time, your going to add 1000Baht  for the doctor , how far apart are the 2nd two  injections ?

4 minutes ago, chubby said:

and it works on  all type of dengue?  and reduces  risk   how much  for each  , you have to return later for the next 2 injections, so each time, your going to add 1000Baht  for the doctor , how far apart are the 2nd two  injections ?

Effectiveness covered in previous link, post #3.

Based upon previous experience with other vaccines, you only need to see the doctor the first time.

Six monthly.

28 minutes ago, chubby said:

hmm only to age  45  ,  too bad 

all four dengue virus serotypes in preadolescents, adolescents and adults, 9 to 45 years of age living in endemicareas.

No.  It just means they haven't got the research to confirm its effectiveness in the 45+.  No scientific reason to think it won't work on one's 46th birthday or thereafter.

so a year and a half and 12,000B   maybe it could be worth  it, if you got the time, money and risk profile .....; be interested to hear back how it turns out if you do do it ..

I thought Dengue mozzies were daytime,  and  Malaria  mozzies  were  dawn/dusk , hmmmmmm

The mosquito that transmits dengue feeds mainly at dawn and dusk and can breed in very small amounts of standing water, making it a formidable foe for public-health workers and endemic community residents alike. Dengue is a painful disease that is also known as ‘break bone’ fever due to the terrible bone and joint pain it causes. In addition to this human suffering, dengue also has the ability to break the back of local healthcare systems during outbreaks. Globally, dengue is estimated to cost 9 billion USD annually in direct and indirect costs.5

I wish that Thailand does not respect the patent and just copy it to sell it cheaper in public hospital, just like they do with HIV medicines !

No respect for labs making so huge profit, wish them to get sick and not being able to buy medicines !

One of the myths of dengue is that it is only in densely-populated urban areas.  WRONG!

I knew a woman in Brazil who lived in a place that is so small it wasn't even on the map, and she had it more than once.

On 1/5/2017 at 5:57 PM, A1Str8 said:

Even the body can't develop full resistance to dengue. The antibodies it creates during the first infection are useless if you get infected again. 

My understanding is that there 4 variants of Dengue Fever. If you have been unfortunate to catch one of those variants you cannot catch the same variant again.

One of the myths of dengue is that it is only in densely-populated urban areas.  WRONG!
I knew a woman in Brazil who lived in a place that is so small it wasn't even on the map, and she had it more than once.

Well dengue spreads faster if there are a lot of people. But sure it can spread in small villages too.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app