NLA member proposes 90 km/h speed limit for passenger vans

webfact

41 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Max the speed limit on mini vans busses trucks and pick ups till 85 km.ban these vehicles from using the right lanes.this will surely bring accidents down so makes it more pleasant and save on these roads for us all.btw in Europe this been implemented for years already.

'... ban these vehicles from using the right lanes ... ... in Europe this been implemented for years already.' And enforced. But TiT.

Above 90, van explodes and everyone gets their money back.

Just put a 2 cylinder engine in a tank and we should be fine..

on all "dangerous sections", all passengers walk

if the van tries to switch lanes, the steering wheel locks down and all tires go flat

this is why i'm a top consultant... 

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

The device is called a tachograph and has been a legal requirement for all public transit and commercial vehicles in Europe and probably the US since the 1980s.

Now, these things are not cheap, who is going to pay?

Who is going to enforce?

Are the penalties going to be sensible?

I am not holding my breath :(

when i drove a truck, there was a device that would limit the speed to 60 mph...would this be a viable option as well, or too expensive/ineffective?

nobody has mentioned one of the main problems: Almost all drivers take amphetamines or sip at least 5 bottles of Red Bull per round-trip, so they can stay awake during their usual 24 hours shift they need to perform, as otherwise they won't be able to make a profit due to the requirements set by the greedy van operators

54 minutes ago, ezrider62 said:

All I had to do was read the headline and say this, "It does not matter in this country what laws are made, nothing is ever enforced". 

How old is the law restricting darkness of films? Effective and enforced?

48 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

nobody has mentioned one of the main problems: Almost all drivers take amphetamines or sip at least 5 bottles of Red Bull per round-trip, so they can stay awake during their usual 24 hours shift they need to perform, as otherwise they won't be able to make a profit due to the requirements set by the greedy van operators

I think your onto to something. The van drivers are in the front line of the mayhem and the owners are the bean counters. There must be a lot of potential drivers walking around who are willing to bend or break the rules. Collateral damage. 

Just want to mention that 16 years ago when i was in the military, the military vehicles all have a Speedometer reading Limiter. If anyone goes above 60km/hr for more than 5 or 10mins, he/she will be charged accordingly to military laws.

I was not a driver then but We all knew how to open the dashboard and disconnect the Device and would go at 80km/hr fast fast when its time to RTU ( Return to UNIT).

YES!! 90 on the mainroads and ALWAYS stay on the left lane....They also can NOT occupy 2-3 lanes infront of the malls together with the taxi's.

Also they can NOT stop on the middle of the road, only along the sidewalk and if there are cars parked they have to drive untill there's an empty spot.

Also why do they have to wait infront of the malls? Passengers have to wait for them, not the other way.

It won't stop drivers sleeping at the wheel,  using 'brake failure' as a standard excuse or running away after accidents if they survive.

All Public Service Vehicles should be fitted with speed governors and all drivers of same should have to pass rigorous tests before being handed a Public Service License.  There is also the small matter of vehicle maintenance.

Dream on !

I would suggest that the van that's NGV gas tank exploded and burnt to death 25 people was a tragic accident. Wrong place at the wrong time accident. Stop looking for ways to solve a freak accident and instead enforce the laws that exist presently. Such as the seatbelt law.

Some of the posts have got a grip on the real problem, but the first thing is to stop blaming the mechanical elements of the minivans. The design and compliance to safety regulations are just ignored, and any lack of maintenance or modifications are conveniently overlooked with the help of a few "purple problem solvers".

The biggest thing that causes accidents in every country, and much more so here, is one VITAL component:

The nut behind the wheel....!

Suggesting all these speed governors etc will help is a waste of time.

The BiB do not enforce the laws of the road and there is no serious attempt to enforce the laws on vehicle maintenance ("minivan with bald tyres allowed to continue journey on a promise").

Even the new four hour written test will not help.

Until Thailand get a police force worth the name, and drivers are properly trained, and lose this "Mak Ngai" (me first) attitude, nothing will change.

I'm staying in and trying not to cross the road, got a 7/eleven and an ATM, gym etc in the building, and a supermarket next door, everything else I get delivered...

Still, I love it here!!?

Signed:

The Prisoner of Condo Block H.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
typo

11 hours ago, siam2007 said:

Yes, finally someone mentions the operators. The operators should be held responsible.

If laws would be enforced and operators held responsible for their drivers then we would start to see a difference. 

However... Thats going to take 20 years at least.. Enforcement and responsibility are like taboo words here in thailand.

Fire all of the drivers , and give the jobs to Army men.......

put GPS tracking and 100km speed limiter on all the vans ,

plus bring the German TUV over to set up an inspection station program

German big trucks have speed limiters so its doable.

If the Army guy does wrong ,  firing squad time  :shock1:

no one is serious about any of these crackdowns , so it needs to be drastic !

20 hours ago, hobz said:

Yes, finally someone mentions the operators. The operators should be held responsible.

If laws would be enforced and operators held responsible for their drivers then we would start to see a difference. 

However... Thats going to take 20 years at least.. Enforcement and responsibility are like taboo words here in thailand.

In my post (ID: 59) I mention the operators, the safety inspectors and the police?