Slight confusion regarding vans for BKK to Pattaya

beerBear

Hi all,

I've been living under a rock and just came to know that vans (to pattaya pier and others) that used to be available near victory monument have been relocated to somewhere else?

I am planning a trip to Xanadu Beach Resort, Koh Larn (samue beach). Can anyone tell me where can I get a van to the appropriate ferry pier in Pattaya starting from Bangkok (near victory monument/ekkamai?)

Thanks!

Edited by beerBear

Why take a van and risk your life? Buses go every half hour or so from Ekamai, and perhaps less frequently from Morchit. The information will be on line anyway. Baht buses from the North bus terminal will take you to the pier.

So, take a bus reach pattaya's bus terminal and then take a baht bus to ferry pier? Are the baht bus next to bus terminal in pattaya? Any specific pier I need to go to for koh larn?

20 minutes ago, beerBear said:

So, take a bus reach pattaya's bus terminal and then take a baht bus to ferry pier? Are the baht bus next to bus terminal in pattaya? Any specific pier I need to go to for koh larn?

Yes. If you can get to Victory Monument, you can get to Ekamai. It's on the skytrain route. Morchit is more difficult to get to.

Ticket office to Pattaya is clearly marked.

When you get out at Pattaya North bus terminal the baht buses are waiting for passengers from the bus. They will be on your left as you get out of the bus.

They will probably want at least 50 baht to take you direct to Bali Hai pier. If you are willing to get off at Walking Street and walk the remaining distance it would be less. You should set the price before getting on the baht bus. 

Be sure not to get the wrong boat to Larn. I'm not sure, but the normal ferry should be less than 100 baht. There is a company that charges about 200 baht or more to go on their crap boat, but that is a private company. Last time I went, I bought the ticket at the boat. The rip off company sells tickets in the Bali Hi building.

To get to your beach, you'll have to take a baht bus on Larn. They wait outside the ferry building. 

Yes. If you can get to Victory Monument, you can get to Ekamai. It's on the skytrain route. Morchit is more difficult to get to.
Ticket office to Pattaya is clearly marked.
When you get out at Pattaya North bus terminal the baht buses are waiting for passengers from the bus. They will be on your left as you get out of the bus.
They will probably want at least 50 baht to take you direct to Bali Hai pier. If you are willing to get off at Walking Street and walk the remaining distance it would be less. You should set the price before getting on the baht bus. 
Be sure not to get the wrong boat to Larn. I'm not sure, but the normal ferry should be less than 100 baht. There is a company that charges about 200 baht or more to go on their crap boat, but that is a private company. Last time I went, I bought the ticket at the boat. The rip off company sells tickets in the Bali Hi building.
To get to your beach, you'll have to take a baht bus on Larn. They wait outside the ferry building. 

Thanks for details.
I am planning to rent a bike on larn; just need to reach the island [emoji4]

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why take a van and risk your life? Buses go every half hour or so from Ekamai, and perhaps less frequently from Morchit. The information will be on line anyway. Baht buses from the North bus terminal will take you to the pier.

on Wednesday they went every ten minutes !

And even if it is just every 30 minutes. What is 30 minutes compared to arriving in an urn ?

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Be sure not to get the wrong boat to Larn. I'm not sure, but the normal ferry should be less than 100 baht.

If I'm not mistaking, I think it's 30 bt, for all people, tourist and Thai, one way.

Schedules are online:
Pattaya to Koh Larn

07:00 10:00 12:00 14:00 15:30 17:00 18:30

Koh Larn to Pattaya
06:30 07:30 09:30 12:00 14:00 15:30 16:30 17:00 18:00

I know of MANY Thai's that live on 9500 to 12000bt a month.  Its not much of a life but they manage to have that 48 inch wide screen TV with 40+ channels to watch, pay rent, eat well, and have motorcycle and pay for fuel.

20,000bt a month is a good income, executive secretary pay is around 24,000(+) IF the person has a college / university degree.

Extra income, have a food cart / coffee cart business.. Not much start up cost...and remember the 20,000bt a month steady income.

Stay away from a bar, MANY people open and close within 1 year.

big bus to Pattaya, from Ekamai, bus station, the ticket office is the first booth on your right facing the bus station, the mini bus booth is inside on the left, the fare is 108 baht.nice air con, plenty of leg room about two and half hours journey, do not take the mini bus ok.

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

I know of MANY Thai's that live on 9500 to 12000bt a month.  Its not much of a life but they manage to have that 48 inch wide screen TV with 40+ channels to watch, pay rent, eat well, and have motorcycle and pay for fuel.

20,000bt a month is a good income, executive secretary pay is around 24,000(+) IF the person has a college / university degree.

Extra income, have a food cart / coffee cart business.. Not much start up cost...and remember the 20,000bt a month steady income.

Stay away from a bar, MANY people open and close within 1 year.

Eh? What about vans, or did you only read the "Slight confusion" part of the thread title?

The Bangkok to Pattaya vans leave from the Morchit bus station (they are supposed to have their own Morchit station soon).  Getting to the Morchit bus/van station requires a taxi or motorcycle taxi trip from the BTS or MRT stations.  There was supposed to be a free bus service to the van stations from Victory Monument but I don't know if it actually exists or not.

The BKK/Pattaya vans drop you off on South Pattaya Road about a block toward the beach from Tuk Com.  You take a motorcycle taxi from there or you can walk to Bali Hai pier (its a bit far but can be done).

Safer and easier to access is the Ekamai bus to Pattaya.  The bus stops at the North Pattaya Bus Station on North Pattaya Road about a block toward the beach from Sukhumvit.  The fastest way to get anywhere from there is by motorcycle taxi.  If you are going to a hotel there is a songthaew service from the bus station that runs 40+ baht. 

If you walk across the street and a 100 ft toward Sukhumvit songthaews will stop and pick you up.   The cost is 10 Bt/leg, which can be to the Dolphin traffic circle or all the way to walking street.  It is a reasonable walk from the corner of Beach Road and Walking St. to Bali Hai pier and there is a motorcycle taxi stand on that corner.

last time in bkk [2 months] i decided to go by ekamai bur  last bus..It stopped many times on the way to pattaya dropping off thai people all over the place .not using the expressway .the journey took

over 3 hours.

Hi

For Pattaya,you can get the van at Mochit for 92b.The driver will ask all passengers where they want the stop.For the Bali Hai,just tell the driver.

If you stay in Rachada area,take the bus 136.It stops in the Mochit bus terminal for 8b.

Lot of good responses here for you.

if you still have doubts about not taking a minivan.....think of it this way. If something hits the minivan it will probably roll over and everything that is entailed in that horrible experience, and hopefully it doesn't catch fire.  When you are sitting in the Big Bus in your comfy seat nice and high up with plenty of leg room.....and you look down and casually notice a minivan hitting the bus and you barely spill your coffee or cocktail......it is a no brainer.

another thing about minivans is you have to keep your luggage on your lap or pay for a seat for it. Stores underneath on the bus. And hard to sleep in the minivan as you watch the horrible driver weaving in and out of traffic at speed and tailgating five feet behind the guy in front. Ride safely.

Far better off with the bus from Ekamai. Apart from the dangerous driving the minivans can be very unpredictable. I came back up from Pattaya to Chonburi a couple of weeks ago and he stopped twice for over 20 minutes, took well over 2 hours. First time was near Laem Chabang, quite a few passengers got out so he just waited until full again before moving on. Somewhere between Sri Ratcha and Bang Saen he just pulled up in the middle of nowhere. After what seemed like an eternity some of the passengers got out and into a minivan that had pulled up behind.

At least with the big bus they generally stick to the schedule.

If you are not familiar with Pattaya better to hire a bahtbus or you could end up in Naklua. You should expect to pay 100/150, I think the 50 that was suggested is a bit optimistic but no harm in trying. As you get off the bus you could ask if anyone is going to South Pattaya and try and share.