MFA now asking compulsory proof of funds before allowing to marry a mighty thai

14 hours ago, Nokawou said:

Just got married at Bangrak last week, got a "freedom to marry" certificate at the Dutch embassy AND had to give proof of income that included my title in the company. This was in the form of a letter from my employer and had to be translated and legalized at some Thai government department along with the "freedom to marry" letter from the embassy. The letter of income was scrutinized at Bangrak and did not have the amount in Bath, this was calculated and inserted into the document and the marriage was finalized. It seems that this proof of income was important and without it the marriage could not proceed. To conclude the OP is correct without proof of income the Thai authorities will not marry a foreigner and Thai.

If you have a printer you have one. Your Thai scrutinized part (by a Thai!) made me laugh :-)

On 1/7/2017 at 7:38 PM, Mangostin said:

So, as the thai MFA it's still involved, and this requirement originated from them, they can possibly still deny to recognise the marriage if no proof of funds it's submitted to them?

Whoever here, has connections (wink wink) at the MFA, should try to find out a bit more, especially if this new rule will apply to all the nationalities of the old continent (EU), as it's often the case, or just to some...

If the marriage certificate of a country recognized "de jure" by Thailand is confirmed by the Embassy concerned and its translation, then all the MFA, consular department does is to put a stamp of confirmation on the translated certificate. The Thai national then proceeds to an Amphur and gets his/her marriage registered and gets a Thai certificate. Quite straight forward. Isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Jackie66 said:

So poor people are not allowed to marry?

Evidently not, and they don't even have to be necessarily that poor.

In other places, as someone i think already pointed out here, you can't get married if you are 50 y.o. or over (Cambodia), that's probably because nobody would have been expected to reach that age under the Khmer Rouges or something...

• Like 1

I have heard from many Italians that the Italian embassy is strict on whatever doc is needed for the issuance of any doc for any reason from the consulate. This is an Italian only requirement. All embassies set their own rules for what they issue.

The title of this thread is misleading and likely just cause confusion.

I couldn't care less what the Italian Embassy does or doesn't do.

But the Thai MFA does NOT ask for any document related to the finances of anyone when certifying a translation.

It's as simple as that.

23 minutes ago, thedemon said:

The title of this thread is misleading and likely just cause confusion.

I couldn't care less what the Italian Embassy does or doesn't do.

But the Thai MFA does NOT ask for any document related to the finances of anyone when certifying a translation.

It's as simple as that.

Well put! 

I am sure that many here will just prefer to give credit to the opinion of "Thedemon", rather than the material published on an official website that belongs to an embassy in Bangkok, other users experiences that posted here, doesn't count either.....:giggle:

On 1/8/2017 at 10:51 AM, Autonuaq said:

Nothing new, because needed to show proof of income 7 years ago too when married. Just a normap document of the embassy that  certified you income.

Am a Western Europan national by birth.

Not needed when i got married 18 years ago from the Dutch Embassy.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote before the MFA does not want financial proof to certify the translation of affirmation of permit to marry.

The people that have said they needed financial proof meant it was needed at their embassy to get the affirmation and a few perhaps needed it an Amphoe.

While i agree that this is required AT the embassy, we got one embassy which went to the extra length of detailing the fact, that even if it is required before they will produce a piece of paper necessary to get married, the requirement originated FROM the THAI MFA, i think we should all appreciate the clarification they have made, and not pretending it's only something that an embassy has decided to ask like this, out of the blue, there is a substantial difference between the two.

While i agree that this is required AT the embassy, we got one embassy which went to the extra length of detailing the fact, that even if it is required before they will produce a piece of paper necessary to get married, the requirement originated FROM the THAI MFA, i think we should all appreciate the clarification they have made, and not pretending it's only something that an embassy has decided to ask like this, out of the blue, there is a substantial difference between the two.

Yes, it makes a big difference whether an embassy writes on its website that the MFA wants evidence of income or whether the embassy gives a copy of a document from the MFA stating that the MFA wants evidence of income.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mangostin said:

...we got one embassy which went to the extra length of detailing the fact, ...

Which is reason enough for the subject of this thread to be edited to reflect the reality of the UNIQUE situation the OP is reporting. It is totally incorrect and may lead people to think that there's a new MFA directive in place at Thai embassies and consulates worldwide.

It would seem to me that proof of "adequate funds" on the Thai citizen part of the equation would prevent / solve a lot more problems rather than worrying about the farang side.  Just think of the reduction in land and house scams, sick buffalo scams, etc etc that would alleviate. We'd have nothing to talk about here in TV

@Craig Savage The text on the website of the embassy mentioned in the OP does not mention a specific minimum amount of income or "adequate funds"

Regarding the requirements of the district (amphoe) office, I is possible that they must record the amount of net assets of each of the two applicants for marriage, but generally do so without requiring corresponding documentary evidence. I doubt very much, though, that they also have to record their income.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Fact: A webpage of the Italian embassy in Bangok states that since September 2016 Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs requires peremptorily a statement regarding the income of an Italian citizen who wants to marry and that for this reason an Italian citizen applying for the certificate of freedom to marry must submit proof of his financial situation.

Source: http://www.ambbangkok.esteri.it/ambasciata_bangkok/it/informazioni_e_servizi/servizi_consolari/stato_civile

Fact: Neither the Italian embassy nor the member who started this topic nor anybody else have so far provided a copy of the alleged communication from Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the Italian embassy in Thailand.

Conclusion: This topic is based on an uncorroborated rumour started by the Italian embassy in Thailand.

Therefore, this topic is now closed.

:mfr_closed1:

• Like 1