Smoke in air in Pattaya seems extreme today?!

joeyg

Pollution in Pattaya is horrific. I have the proof with full histology report of partial lung and plenty of lymphnodes removed. Non-smoker and in town for 20 years. Dr.'s asked me if I had worked in a coalmine & next question was, where do you live in Thailand? BKK or Pattaya? And this was in a European University hospital. I am still in town, but only with proper mask if on road, as more and more people.

I was very lucky to have a "high-capacity" lung, been rerasonably fit and had fantastic rehab for several weeks in special clinic and was able to go beyong pre-op lung-volume within 3 months. Had I been smoking I would probably be on an oxygen bottle now. Visit one of these cancer clinics if you still smoke. Very, very sad to see these people suffering.  MS>

12 hours ago, Sunak said:

Another "smoke in the air", "can't see Ko Lan" thread.

What gives you the idea that this is smoke/smog?

How often during the year can you see Ko Lan?

Do you know that you are living at a big gulf/sea?

It's not a desert area.

Do you know that the weather all over Thailand is unusually humid for this time of year?

Relative humidity in Pattaya today is 80%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist

Yes I knew the weather report and live visibilty that I saw.  This morning was burning acid smoke until about 1:00 PM, the it started to clear.  Could not see the outline of Koh Larn until then.  Of course TV being what it is though we have to debate weather there was a heavy smoke around burning the eyes and throat here or wether or not it was perfectly clear.  Sad state of affairs.

5 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The simple fact is that air pollution in Pattaya is high most of the time. Pattaya is a very unhealthy and dirty city to live in. It is way overbuilt. Couple this with the high temperature and humidity one's quality of life in the city is very poor.  Life on the darkside is much better and the further you get away from Pattaya it gets even better.

Yes but I hear getting "jacked up " is fairly common at night and possible the get you head busted as well as your cash and ride stolen.

12 hours ago, Sunak said:

Another "smoke in the air", "can't see Ko Lan" thread.

What gives you the idea that this is smoke/smog?

How often during the year can you see Ko Lan?

Do you know that you are living at a big gulf/sea?

It's not a desert area.

Do you know that the weather all over Thailand is unusually humid for this time of year?

Relative humidity in Pattaya today is 80%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist

No I don't know anything, I just know what I see and feel, you sound like and expert explain it to all us.

17 hours ago, joeyg said:

Yes.  Lot of sick people around.  I often think of Pattaya being a giant Petri dish.  With all the international arrivals, generally substandard cleanliness, concentration of population etc.etc.  It's a ticking time bomb for an epidemic.

I spent some time in Epidemiology.  Somewhat of a "medical nerd"  I pay attention to the different "coughs" around me.  I know weird but interesting to see patterns of pathology when you can.

Sounds like the same could be said for any large town! Pattaya is hardly Beijing.....

Is it burning season?

8 hours ago, joeyg said:

Yes I knew the weather report and live visibilty that I saw.  This morning was burning acid smoke until about 1:00 PM, the it started to clear.  Could not see the outline of Koh Larn until then.  Of course TV being what it is though we have to debate weather there was a heavy smoke around burning the eyes and throat here or wether or not it was perfectly clear.  Sad state of affairs.

But G. - aren't you the one who started the topic? check your weather, whether... 

18 hours ago, jobsworth said:

when the wind blows from the north, pattaya receives the exhaust from the oil refinery at lam chabang which is only 30 kms away. otherwise the air is good with a nice sea breeze.

Nice try. But your not kidding me.

On the odd occasion I go to Pattaya, once south of BKK there is always smog/haze in the air most time you cant even see the hills what there are of them. Once you have arrived theirs always the car fumes. Thanks for the laugh about nice sea breeze. 

Just like to add that when I leave my white car overnight its always covered in some sort of Black soot in the morning.

Edited by fredob43

On 1/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, joeyg said:

Amazing I must be in a "micro climate" phenomenon.  Or you are?  Yep definitely cannot see Koh Larn and "chocking here.

Am in Chiang Mai. Air is clean as a whistle. It has been cold and spitting rain. Great weather! CM Music Fest this weekend. Y'all come now you hear?

1 hour ago, onemorechang said:

Don't park next to the Wat.  :shock1:

Didn't know that they had a Wat near the Dolphin R/About. Will look next time. Thanks for the tip. 

49 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Am in Chiang Mai. Air is clean as a whistle. It has been cold and spitting rain. Great weather! CM Music Fest this weekend. Y'all come now you hear?

I will confirm same on or around the 23rd. Will be going with the lads for the annual fishing trip.

I did see that there was no mention of the 3+ months of crap you get every year. That's the time everyone leaves. If my memory's correct.

As it's lets tell what it's like where we live, I'm half way between BKK & Chang Mai it's clear blue stuff not a cloud in sight.  Oh and no smog.

We must be getting your sea breeze!!!

Edited by fredob43

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

So on a clear day you can normally see Koh Larn from Chiang Mai?

On January 7, 2017 at 2:04 AM, Suradit69 said:

From the ground level it is not that noticeable, but from my 15th floor balcony looking south there is definitely a haze. There have been days in the past month or so when it has been much worse. Some days I have felt it when it comes to breathing, but today it's not that bad.

It happens every year. Have no idea why.  Maybe people to the south and in Malaysia are burning to clear fields.Maybe just low hanging clouds/ fog that comes with cooler temperatures. . No noticeable smell to it.

A few years ago in the Pattaya Trader an American fishing columnist wrote that smog from China gets blown down this time every year. That it gives everyone a cough then gets pushed out with southerly winds in Feb. I also notice it every year.