expired Thai passport in OZ

The wife is going to Thailand on the 18th jan,before you could travel Thai airways on an expired Thai passport .when reading Thai Embassy what to do on expired passport,,they say you have to get a certificate of identity from Canberra,[we r in Perth] only Thai consulate,anyone know anything different.

Temporary passport is issued for a traveler who does not have a usable Thai passport and needs to travel to a Third country. If you only need to go back to Thailand, you should apply for a Certificate of Identity (CI) instead.

Believe meaning is if you do not have a passport to show.  An expired passport is usable for entry to Thailand.  If no passport then a CI could be used for entry to Thailand but not to other countries so a Temp passport would not be required.

Some dumb questions:

Does your wife have a Thai passport only?

If so, does Australia stamp her permission to stay/enter in passport or is there a separate alien ID card?

In any case make her aware that she carries the old (voided) passport back.

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some dumb questions:

Does your wife have a Thai passport only?

If so, does Australia stamp her permission to stay/enter in passport or is there a separate alien ID card?

In any case make her aware that she carries the old (voided) passport back.

Australia doesn't stamp passports anymore but you make a good point on thinking that she must have a second passport. An Australian visa in an expired Thai passport would not be valid.

Even though Thailand allows travel to the country on an expired passport I'm also wondering whether the airline would know that when she tries to check in.

I renewed my Thai passport at the Royal Thai Consulate in Sydney once. Not difficult to do but I don't recall whether they have an express service. Might be worth the OP checking out. 

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Australia doesn't stamp passports anymore but you make a good point on thinking that she must have a second passport. An Australian visa in an expired Thai passport would not be valid.

Even though Thailand allows travel to the country on an expired passport I'm also wondering whether the airline would know that when she tries to check in.

I renewed my Thai passport at the Royal Thai Consulate in Sydney once. Not difficult to do but I don't recall whether they have an express service. Might be worth the OP checking out. 

Oz visa can be in expired passport just as true for most countries.  You just need a valid passport to be stamped in on.

The Australian Government does not require a person holding a valid Australian visa to have a label stuck in their passport to travel to, enter or remain in Australia.

Airlines have full rules available on computer and if you input expired passport on IATA web site but are Thai you are fully cleared for travel to Thailand.

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Yes they get the info from the IATA database.

No info on the Canberra embassy website about how to long get one but there is no express service. On other embassy websites they state it can take up 6 weeks to get a new passport.

• 1 year later...

Hi

My wife and two girls are traveling to Thailand on expired Thai Passports soon.

They will all have current Aussie passports and return flights with Thai Airways.

Looking at posts here all SHOULD be ok to enter Thailand BUT is there any catch to be aware of?

I see some say that Thai Airways will be ok as a direct flight.

Do they need to put down on arrival card BOTH citizenships ie: Thai and Aussie?  {BIG QUESTION}

This caught me many yrs ago entering aussie on a NZ passport but declaring my new Australian citizenship also. Result ....small room and 2 hrs of questions before letting me in as UNDOCUMENTED Australian! 

Thanks for any help on this subject.

10 hours ago, F1 Aviation said:

Hi

My wife and two girls are traveling to Thailand on expired Thai Passports soon.

They will all have current Aussie passports and return flights with Thai Airways.

Looking at posts here all SHOULD be ok to enter Thailand BUT is there any catch to be aware of?

I see some say that Thai Airways will be ok as a direct flight.

Do they need to put down on arrival card BOTH citizenships ie: Thai and Aussie?  {BIG QUESTION}

This caught me many yrs ago entering aussie on a NZ passport but declaring my new Australian citizenship also. Result ....small room and 2 hrs of questions before letting me in as UNDOCUMENTED Australian! 

Thanks for any help on this subject.

If your kids are entering Thailand on expired Thai passports note that they won’t be able to renew their thai passports in Thailand unless they meet all of the following requirements:

- are on a thai house registration 

- have ID cards (if over 15)

- have BOTH parents/legal guardians with them at the passport office (with the foreign parent bring their passport too for ID purposes)

it is also probably worth bringing along their Thai birth certificates for any avoidance of doubt. 

The reason you were held up was that as an Australian citizen, you have an unrestricted right to enter the country. If you entered on your NZ passport they would have technically been using a visa - which by definition- restricts your conditions of stay, which is why they had to prove your bonafides an oz citizen before they’d let you in. 

As as a result Australia makes pretty clear that Australian citizens should only enter Australia on Australian passport 

Edited by samran
  • Like 1