Boarding without credit card

zlodnick

I just booked a flight from Bangkok to India with Expedia.

I dont have a credit card, so my sister let me use hers and I paid her back by a bank transfer.

Then I was reading everything emailed to me about the actual flight and in one place it says, at check-in, I must show the credit card used to pay for the flight.

I dont have the card, so will I be allowed to board?

Your sister (credit card holder) has to do a credit card verification with the airline before you can check-in.

(not all but at least many airlines require this)

As far as I know the procedure varies from airline to airline.

Your sister should immediately contact the airline.

What airline is it?

A news story with some enlightening posts (example for Air Canada).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/925266-air-canada-credit-card-verification-policy-leaves-woman-stranded-in-thailand/

I  moved this thread from Suvarnabhumi to the general Thailand Travel forum.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Your sister (credit card holder) has to do a credit card verification with the airline before you can check-in.

What airline is it?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/925266-air-canada-credit-card-verification-policy-leaves-woman-stranded-in-thailand/

I've had the experience of booking tickets by phone with Bangkok Airways, tickets for my son and his wife, the phone call asked me for the name on my CC, then said sorry we can't accept your credit card details because you are not the passenger.

They did immediately send me an e.mail with payment reference and all paid within minutes at 7/11.

If you booked via an online travel agent or high street travel agent then you will not have any problem.

It's only when you book online DIRECT with an airline that you will often (in my experience) be asked for the credit card, especially if not in your name. 

Alternatively most VISA credit cards can overcome this by having previously registered with "verified by visa".

The credit card that purchased is NOT required when booking through a travel agent like Expedia and is only required when booking direct with most airlines.  I've flown my brother (own my dime) using Expedia for the last 5 years and never traveled with him.

Assuming the ticket was indeed booked through Expedia not to worry.. only your passport will be required to travel.

Kurt

I have no recollection of ever being asked for my credit card at the airport when departing (Thai Airways or Qantas mostly). That could be because (1) I book directly with the airline on their internet site, not through a booking agent of any kind, or (2) because I check-in on the internet & print out my boarding pass either at home or on arrival at the airport, but my business at the airport is really just a bag drop.

The airlines I fly (TG, SQ, LX) have never asked for my credit card for many years. It happened about 8 years ago that SQ wanted to see it in Singapore, and as the credit card I booked with was abused and meanwhile replaced, the credit card details were different, and I had to fill in a form - that was all. Recently I booked for a couple who had no credit card for a flight from Chiang Mai to Singapore with Silk Air and SQ to Zurich, and I only had to quickly verify my credit card at Silk Air's downtown office in Chiang Mai. I think this is an old rule which becomes more and more obsolete.

1 minute ago, vsigrist said:

The airlines I fly (TG, SQ, LX) have never asked for my credit card for many years. It happened about 8 years ago that SQ wanted to see it in Singapore, and as the credit card I booked with was abused and meanwhile replaced, the credit card details were different, and I had to fill in a form - that was all. Recently I booked for a couple who had no credit card for a flight from Chiang Mai to Singapore with Silk Air and SQ to Zurich, and I only had to quickly verify my credit card at Silk Air's downtown office in Chiang Mai. I think this is an old rule which becomes more and more obsolete.

Getting to be obsolete but still invoked in some circumstances. A friend has just told me of his woes with a Starwood group hotel in Bangkok along those very lines just this week

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I have been asked to show my credit card used for the payment with Thai many times,

Having always had it on me do not know how serious things could get if could not show

Very. I made the mistake of showing up for a THAI domestic flight without my credit card and had to argue long and hard with a supervisor to be accepted for the flight. Only thing that got me on was being a Gold Card holder.

I think the 'must have the credit card' rule though only applies if you've bought the ticket within the last 72 hours. I might be wrong. It should say when you are booking on-line. Always a good thing to read the small print when spending a decent sum.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Better be careful. I usually book online with Thai in either business or first class. I am always asked for my card when I check in. One time my old card expired and showed new card ((same Visa card) and I had to go to the ticket counter and rebuy the ticket (same price). I would not trust what they tell you on the phone. My guess without the actual card (in your name) you will not get on the plane! But up to you......

6 hours ago, zlodnick said:

Thanks Kun BENQ,

Sister just called Thai. No need to show credit card.

Do Not believe them !! Just get it sorted otherwise you could be confronted with not being able to board. 

I flew roundtrip on EVA between BKK and the U.S. recently, after purchasing the tickets online direct from EVA. As has long been their practice, they have a written advisory with the reservation that you will need to show the booking credit card when checking in.

However, on this most recent trip, none of the EVA ground staff asked for it either in BKK or on the return trip from the U.S.  And, despite their stated policy, I can't recall the last time they ever asked me to show my booking credit card at check-in.  But I always carry it with me just in case, because you don't want to have a trip suddenly go down the drain.

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

What airline is it?

I don't know were you got that information from but I traveled all over the world and not once I have been asked for my credit card at the check-in counter.

Edited by Gerard052

9 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

I don't know were you got that information from but I traveled all over the world and not once I have been asked for my credit card at the check-in counter.

Some have all the luck.

The story n the link is not the only one and not "mine".

The topic has been discussed in multiple threads in the forum and obviously not made up.

Your text does not say that you traveled on a trip paid with someone else's CC?

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some have all the luck.

The story is not the only one.

The topic has been discussed in multiple threads in the forum and obviously not made up.

Your text does not say that you traveled on a trip paid with someone else's CC?

Of course if name from CC matches name of traveler is a different story but not what is discussed in this topic.

I have always used my own CC and a couple of times I book for a friend on Air Asia with my CC and he was never asked to show a CC at Don Mueang or Nakhon Phanom if it is those types of situations you are referring to, I would like to know.

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

I have been asked to show my credit card used for the payment with Thai many times,

Having always had it on me do not know how serious things could get if could not show

A friend of mine bought his Thai Airways flight with his credit card a couple of months in advance of travel. He received his replacement Credit Card upon expiry of his previous card before his flight.

Upon check in when asked to provide his Credit Card, he provided the new one, he was not permitted travel and had to purchase a new ticket and claim a refund on the previous ticket (the new ticket was more expensive of course)... My friend was extremely angry about this.

So... as I understand it, if you are unable to provide the card with which you purchased the flights you may be preventing from travelling.

This is quite concerning - I lost my card just before flying a few weeks ago, fortunately it was just an ATM card.

I really don't understand why airlines do this... Surely proof of ID is sufficient.

Have traveled all over on many diffrent airlines always use credit card. Not once have I ever had to produce it at check in not once.

1 hour ago, Gerard052 said:

+ 1

Many have... It would always be safer to air on the side of caution and ensure you have either purchased the ticket through an agent, through your own card which is in your possession upon check-in, to use someone else card and have the relevant documentation covering you...

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I have no recollection of ever being asked for my credit card at the airport when departing (Thai Airways or Qantas mostly). That could be because (1) I book directly with the airline on their internet site, not through a booking agent of any kind, or (2) because I check-in on the internet & print out my boarding pass either at home or on arrival at the airport, but my business at the airport is really just a bag drop.

Ditto, only when I check in hotels I have booked on-line have they asked me for credit card, never for a plane ticket.  I can think of several reasons why they would do that, but never happened to me.  Nuther thing, I could not survive in this world without at least one or two credit cards, would like to know his trick.

Edited by TunnelRat69

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many have... It would always be safer to air on the side of caution and ensure you have either purchased the ticket through an agent, through your own card which is in your possession upon check-in, to use someone else card and have the relevant documentation covering you...

I haven't use a travel agent for years, I don't have to pay their salaries, I always book on-line and you get a much better deal, I never had any problems and I was never asked for my CC at the check-in counter.  It is the first time I've ever heard of it.

I sometimes have to buy tickets for my student-in-North-America son, on my own credit-card, because his own bank won't yet issue him with a card of his own. They refuse to let me guarantee his card, up to an agreed limit, either.

I believe that there's no problem, when the ticket is purchased via an online travel-agent, because any payment-problem would be between the agency & airline, not directly with the card-holder.

Some 25-years back, I was at an IATA/BSP meeting in the UK, where it was generally acknowledged  by some eighty airlines that provided the passenger had a valid issued-ticket & had paid the agent, the commercial-risk of non-payment rested with the airline. If an agent had subsequently gone bust, before a ticket had been used, this was the airline's problem & not the passenger's.  There used to be a LOT of fraudulent--tickets issued, by agents who were about to fold, criminality was definitely involved back then !  IIRC this scam once featured in an episode of 'The Sopranos' ?

However sometimes the ticket is booked direct with the airline, and in that case I always give my son a covering-letter authorising the charge on my own card, just in case the airline does a spot-check at check-in.  So far that letter (and copy of both sides of my card) hasn't actually been needed  ...  but better safe than sorry.

I've also heard, perhaps someone else can confirm, that the credit-card company doesn't actually pass the money to an airline, until the service (the flight) has actually been provided. That's despite the card having been successfully debited up-to eleven months earlier ! If that's so then one can therefore understand the airline's wish to double-check at check-in, where the ticket has been paid-for by someone-else's card, someone who isn't actually travelling themselves.

Edited by Ricardo
Sorry, dodgy space-bar on my new laptop !

I guess I am just unaware, but why would you travel without a credit card? Not having one is asking for issues for everything from bookings for travel and accommodations to getting more money and purchasing your way out of trouble.

If your answer is I can't get a credit card; then, I guess I would stay home until I cleared my credit and was able to get a card.

If you book through a travel website you will not need to show your credit card and the ticket will not show that payment was made by credit card as it would if you do a direct booking. You are paying to expedia and they pay the airlines. If you book directly with the airline you may have to show if they ask. For thai airways (dont know what airline you booked) I never had to show on international flights only on national.. An option is your sister takes you to the airport and shows the card at check-in if required.