'I hope I've made you proud,' Michelle Obama gives final speech as FLOTUS

rooster59

'I hope I've made you proud,' Michelle Obama gives final speech as FLOTUS

606x341_354255.jpg

Two weeks to the day before the next president is to be inaugurated, Michelle Obama delivered her final remarks as First Lady of the United States.

She appeared cheerful and upbeat as she honoured the ’2017 School Counselor of the Year’ in the White House. But the speech was clearly an emotional one and the first lady broke down towards the end.

“If you or your parents are immigrants, know that your are part of a proud American tradition. The infusion of new cultures, talents and ideas, generation after generation…that has made us the greatest country on earth. You see, our glorious diversity, our diversities of faiths and colours and creeds. That is not a threat to who we are. It makes us who we are.

“Being your First Lady has been the greatest honour of my life, and I hope I’ve made you proud.”

Her husband, President Barack Obama, is to make his final public speech in Chicago on Tuesday (January 10).

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-07

Afficher l'image d'originemarch 2009 photographed by Annie Leibovitz

Afficher l'image d'origineAfficher l'image d'origine2011

Getty images

Edited by Opl

Afficher l'image d'origineBarack and Michelle Obama in Regent's Park (photostream)

Afficher l'image d'origineAfficher l'image d'origine2013

parade magazine

Edited by Opl

Nell Irvin Painter, an emeritus professor of American history at Princeton: " “Her power is a symbolic power,” Painter said, noting the way Obama “has conducted herself as first lady. She has grace, there is no question, but I would add elegance. It’s a kind of assurance that is also something new for a black woman in public life. She is the symbol of what an American can be. Michelle Obama has presented a universal American identity.”

How Michelle Obama became a singular American voice  By Peter Slevin / The Washington Post

https://www.abqjournal.com/908033/essay-how-michelle-obama-became-a-singular-american-voice.html

An exclusive look at how the First Lady mastered social media " A First Lady who can turn up with a turnip and make the country swoon, but still advance serious initiatives." 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11179572/first-lady-michelle-obama-vr-interview-social-media-pictures

Afficher l'image d'origine

Edited by Opl

24 minutes ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Because she has spent more money than any other first lady except emalda marqez look up the facts, they should clone her with Hillary make satin look like a saint

She wore it well!

rs_560x329-150115142907-1024-flotus-bday2.jpg?zoom=0.8099999785423279&resize=560%2C329

"Mrs. Obama has spread her fashion choices among a huge stable of them — often promoting lesser-known names, and taking care to promote American designers at such high-profile events as inaugurations, conventions and state dinners."

And that includes wearing fashion that ordinary women could potentially afford — like cardigans from the retailer J. Crew. “She’s made an effort to wear accessible fashion,   It’s a very short list of first ladies who are going to leave that kind of legacy.”

http://nypost.com/2016/12/26/how-the-fashion-industry-will-miss-michelle-obama/

Edited by Opl

12 hours ago, timber said:

One of the few people able to bring the U.S. back together Post DT

Madam  President ,    after DT  ,  has a  very short term in office .

I'm not sure what this love fest is for Michelle Obama. I can't say she did anything bad, but what good did she do? When those schoolgirls were kidnapped by Boko Haram she was all over it for a few days, then when it dropped from the fornt pages, she dropped the cause like a hot brick. Seemed to me like she was a publicity hound, chasing the limelight, then when the cause no longer brought her front pages she walked away. Hardly the endorsement for a potential President.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I'm not sure what this love fest is for Michelle Obama. I can't say she did anything bad, but what good did she do? When those schoolgirls were kidnapped by Boko Haram she was all over it for a few days, then when it dropped from the fornt pages, she dropped the cause like a hot brick. Seemed to me like she was a publicity hound, chasing the limelight, then when the cause no longer brought her front pages she walked away. Hardly the endorsement for a potential President.

Michelle Obama is not a trophy wife -

Let Girls Learn is a U.S. government initiative launched by the President and First Lady that helps adolescent girls attain a quality education and enables them to reach their full potential.

https://letgirlslearn.gov/

"She's said in the past that she put the Let Girls Learn initiative together in part because she was disturbed by the story of the kidnapped schoolgirls."

"Why, two years ago, would terrorists be so threatened by the prospect of girls going to school that they would break into a dormitory in the middle of the night?" she said, describing the crime.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35948362

Edited by Opl

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Perhaps if you had done some research into her accomplishments, you'd understand why so many like her.  Easy to do.  Google "Michelle Obama accomplishments".

44 minutes ago, Opl said:

Michelle Obama is not a trophy wife -

Let Girls Learn is a U.S. government initiative launched by the President and First Lady that helps adolescent girls attain a quality education and enables them to reach their full potential.

https://letgirlslearn.gov/

"She's said in the past that she put the Let Girls Learn initiative together in part because she was disturbed by the story of the kidnapped schoolgirls."

"Why, two years ago, would terrorists be so threatened by the prospect of girls going to school that they would break into a dormitory in the middle of the night?" she said, describing the crime.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35948362

Sorry OPL…..looks like just another PR campaign to me. What are the results? How many girls have lived up to their potential due to this campaign? And how do you measure it anyway. It just looks like some more photo-ops…as I say, publicity hound. Not that I have anything against the woman….she's just got no qualifications at all for being a POTUS….at least Hillary was a senator and SoS, not that I can find much good beside this to say about Hillary.

19 hours ago, jesimps said:

Just another leftie with a pretty face. Recipe for disaster.

Wait for the time after January 20 and you will remember the outstanding qualities of your former First Lady Michelle.

After January 20, you will see a pretty label on a wine bottle, but inside only air. In contrast, before you saw a pretty label on a bottle with an excellent wine quality inside. Michelle was a diamond for her husband and the USA. And some blind righties would like to throw dirt on this gem.

BTW, the former First lady didn't have to tolerate a pussy grabber.

she has.

it could never be a straight line upward to a better and more rational world. 

there has to be a kickback, a "kink"... but not in these past 8 years.

and we ain't even begun to hear the last from this FLOTUS nor her POTUS husband either.   oh yeah!!!!!!!  

I wanna see lots of Obama tweets!!!!

Edited by maewang99