Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry criticized as tourists left waiting at Bali Hai

webfact

You can't blame the operator for the stormy weather which must have come to them as a big surprise at this time of the year. But this just shows you need to check the weather forecast before you book any tickets.  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Why are you defending the ferry ? You are taking on everyone that have a problem with or see potential problems. Are you financially involved with the operation. If so declare your vested interest.

Give me one rational reason for me not to defend the ferry service.  Why is everyone else attacking it unreasonably, albeit in typical Thaivisa fashion?  Just because most posters like to see problems that don't exist does that mean that I have to agree with them?  Is there any logical reason for me not to "take them on" (your words) or have a different opinion?

How would it be your business if I was involved in the operating company and as for your instruction to declare my interest (if, indeed, there is any) you know where you can shove that demand, don't you?

10 hours ago, Alan Deer said:

I don't think iis's anything to do witth "hope" - one way or the othjsr - this service is as far as I can see exactly the same as the previous models which have failed - almost every critic of the service has taken an intelligent look at the information available both on this and other services and find it raises questions - basing a business plan on hope is just daft.

You've obviously misunderstood/misread what I said.

As a consumer, If I was living In either centre, I would be hoping It met with success, because It would give me another travel choice.

I have no Idea, as most/all of us don't, whether It Is an Identical service to those previously offered, nor do I care.

Neither do I know whether the owners have completed a business plan based on other than hope, but I presume so.  No doubt others, presumably those who have access to the business plan, Or perhaps just based on cynicism/negativity, will say they haven't.

Let me say It once more.......I think that pouring scorn on another's business venture, hoping for failure, Is just plain silly.

I wish them well, and I do hope the venture Is a success, because I may be a future user.

Edited by F4UCorsair

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

You've obviously misunderstood/misread what I said.

As a consumer, If I was living In either centre, I would be hoping It met with success, because It would give me another travel choice.

I have no Idea, as most/all of us don't, whether It Is an Identical service to those previously offered, nor do I care.

Neither do I know whether the owners have completed a business plan based on other than hope, but I presume so.  No doubt others, presumably those who have access to the business plan, Or perhaps just based on cynicism/negativity, will say they haven't.

Let me say It once more.......I think that pouring scorn on another's business venture, hoping for failure, Is just plain silly.

I wish them well, and I do hope the venture Is a success, because I may be a future user.

No, we aren't, we are making perfectly valid comments as to the nature of this project - it's called debate.

Your own egocentric perspective seems to be based primarily on your own admission a position of almost complete ignorance and a vague notion of "hope" rather that critical thinking and the possibility that you personally might occasionally  use the service at some time.  Hardly a good basis for any conclusions about this service?

Edited by Alan Deer

38 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

No, we aren't, we are making perfectly valid comments as to the nature of this project - it's called debate.

Your own egocentric perspective seems to be based primarily on your own admission a position of almost complete ignorance and a vague notion of "hope" rather that critical thinking and the possibility that you personally might occasionally  use the service at some time.  Hardly a good basis for any conclusions about this service?

Whatever you think.

I'm concluding nothing about this service, just hoping it succeeds, because it will offer another travel option, not just for me, but for many.   I'm not into analyzing business plans, particularly ones I don't have access to, as it seems you, and possibly others, do??!!

I don't need to "critically think" about this project.  Why should I??

I believe the thread was about tourists missing a 'sailing', and were pouring derision on the operators, when in fact, they hadn't bothered to check the schedule.   If you want to discuss further, that's the topic.

Edited by F4UCorsair

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Whatever you think.

I'm concluding nothing about this service, just hoping it succeeds, because it will offer another travel option, not just for me, but for many.   I'm not into analyzing business plans, particularly ones I don't have access to, as it seems you, and possibly others, do??!!

I don't need to "critically think" about this project.  Why should I??

I believe the thread was about tourists missing a 'sailing', and were pouring derision on the operators, when in fact, they hadn't bothered to check the schedule.   If you want to discuss further, that's the topic.

Despite not living in either area, and acknowledging that I may never use the service, I'm going to jump in and suggest that the business plan is not based on hope, as I see from an article that if the initial ferry works out with the one 150 pax vessel, they plan on introducing a second, 262 pax vessel, to the route.(which is specific)

so I hope it succeeds..... and hope the "business plan" is not actually based on hope.

i also note that TiT are hoping that the service sparks growth in business around the area of both piers, so perhaps TiT are supsidising the venture.

mmmm.... altogether too much hoping above... I could well be wrong about it... hope not.

On 1/11/2017 at 1:12 PM, farcanell said:

i also note that TiT are hoping that the service sparks growth in business around the area of both piers, so perhaps TiT are supsidising the venture.

Did you mean TAT?  :unsure:

On 1/10/2017 at 5:26 PM, balo said:

You can't blame the operator for the stormy weather which must have come to them as a big surprise at this time of the year. But this just shows you need to check the weather forecast before you book any tickets.  

I have done oil and gas exploration in the Gulf of Thailand, offshore Malaysia and offshore Vietnam for about 20 years. Nobody does much exploration between October and March because the seas can get too rough since weather patterns are very changeable. Mores so in the shallow water Gulf of Thailand where seas pick up (get rough) quite rapidly when inclement weather passes through. By the same token, shallow water seas lay down (smooth out) fairly quickly as well but a single ferry hoping to run a same-day turnaround in these waters at this time of year was all a bit of a stretch.

But I am pretty sure the Pattaya harbour master was all thumbs up.... since he doesn't even have a harbour to master.

• 2 weeks later...

It's curious what the previous guy said about storms and rough seas this time of year. I just got off the ferry RT today. Pattaya to Hua Hin was OK, an old man got too stressed out and sick. The return trip was another story. I thought we would possibly capsize. The seas were storm like, though not 4 feet when they cancelled trips before but very rough and high. The boat right away started bouncing. The front half would lurch up and slam down with a big thud almost all the way to Koh Larn area. I thought it would break in two. All the Thai girls and ladies were vomiting in bags the whole trip some never even looking up out of their bags. The entire staff had to hover around giving out bags and tissues and hold people up going to the bathroom. 

Now the problem was that the Captain did nothing to help out the situation. He kept up the regular fast speed and never slowed down. He never once like on an airplane got on the mike or his English staff and tell people what was going on. Tell people nothing to worry about or when the lurching would stop...nothing was said by anyone and you know Thais never complain. Never said this boat cannot capsize. Never asked people to put on lifejackets. Never put on music or the two big TVs to help the nerves. Maybe he should have gone back, there were so many sick people. This captain needs training or a lesser job.

The regular problems is that they need a foreigner to help them. They stopped taking people in about 8:30 and sent some people home, but the boat was half empty. They don't have signs or tell you there is no food/drinks/coffee going or coming and no food at Hua Hin if you return. Only free water. The TVs were not on and many people were bored BECAUSE they don't tell you in advance you cannot go outside to enjoy the sea. They said it was too dangerous. Sure on the way back, that's cool. Free trip, what do you expect.

4 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

It's curious what the previous guy said about storms and rough seas this time of year. I just got off the ferry RT today. Pattaya to Hua Hin was OK, an old man got too stressed out and sick. The return trip was another story. I thought we would possibly capsize. The seas were storm like, though not 4 feet when they cancelled trips before but very rough and high. The boat right away started bouncing. The front half would lurch up and slam down with a big thud almost all the way to Koh Larn area. I thought it would break in two. All the Thai girls and ladies were vomiting in bags the whole trip some never even looking up out of their bags. The entire staff had to hover around giving out bags and tissues and hold people up going to the bathroom. 

Now the problem was that the Captain did nothing to help out the situation. He kept up the regular fast speed and never slowed down. He never once like on an airplane got on the mike or his English staff and tell people what was going on. Tell people nothing to worry about or when the lurching would stop...nothing was said by anyone and you know Thais never complain. Never said this boat cannot capsize. Never asked people to put on lifejackets. Never put on music or the two big TVs to help the nerves. Maybe he should have gone back, there were so many sick people. This captain needs training or a lesser job.

The regular problems is that they need a foreigner to help them. They stopped taking people in about 8:30 and sent some people home, but the boat was half empty. They don't have signs or tell you there is no food/drinks/coffee going or coming and no food at Hua Hin if you return. Only free water. The TVs were not on and many people were bored BECAUSE they don't tell you in advance you cannot go outside to enjoy the sea. They said it was too dangerous. Sure on the way back, that's cool. Free trip, what do you expect.

As an English man I crossed the channels many times and it could be rough - really rough.  The Mediterranean has its moments! People who are not from seafaring  nations assume traveling by boat is always smooth.  It's not. Sea sickness is a dreadful feeling. Compounded with fear it makes for an unwanted adventure, which has after all is the true nature of real travel.  Regarding Entertainment - I guess a book or smart phone is in order.  These are guinea pig runs which is why they are free. I'll wait and pay when the teething problems are sorted out. 

After the RN, I see the Thai marine staffas just doing a job noithing more, I would not get o any boat staffed and run by them . I looked at some boats whgen I last went to Phuket and I can tell you they are disasters waiting to happen.

The seas in the Gulf can become very dangerous very quickly and subside again however it would seem the so-called Captain as little if any experience, with the boat he is in charge of.

personally I might miss out on an adventure or two but I will not subject my life to the whims of a person who does not understand the sea at all.

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

After the RN, I see the Thai marine staffas just doing a job noithing more, I would not get o any boat staffed and run by them . I looked at some boats whgen I last went to Phuket and I can tell you they are disasters waiting to happen.

The seas in the Gulf can become very dangerous very quickly and subside again however it would seem the so-called Captain as little if any experience, with the boat he is in charge of.

personally I might miss out on an adventure or two but I will not subject my life to the whims of a person who does not understand the sea at all.

It's funny but I remember seeing most of the staff during the trip coming and going on and off the boat but I do remember one fellow in an officer marine uniform like an airline pilot coming out of the cabin a few times, maybe to go to the bathroom, and the thing that struck me the most was he looked like a captain off one of the Koh Larn ferries. I bet he was the captain, a really swarthy character who looks like a trawler worker. Probably was the captain and that's why he was not on the mike telling us anything. Royal Seas probably had to hire him to get a license. 

10 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

It's funny but I remember seeing most of the staff during the trip coming and going on and off the boat but I do remember one fellow in an officer marine uniform like an airline pilot coming out of the cabin a few times, maybe to go to the bathroom, and the thing that struck me the most was he looked like a captain off one of the Koh Larn ferries. I bet he was the captain, a really swarthy character who looks like a trawler worker. Probably was the captain and that's why he was not on the mike telling us anything. Royal Seas probably had to hire him to get a license. 

Also they handed out a questionnaire on the way over when everyone was OK, but on the way back nothing for the new passengers.

On 23/01/2017 at 8:13 PM, ronjomtien said:

Free ticket, free water, free sick bags, free tissues and still moaning. If I was cap'n I'd of made you walk the plank me hearty!