Savannakhet SETV

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

I agree. I would have thought that having a Thai bank account proved hat you were NOT a 'genuine'  tourist. But Hey! We are dealing with Lala Land here!

Also surely having 20,000thb in cash should suffice. I carried this last December just in case I was asked....but was not. I was, however, asked for a copy of my flight ticket back to the UK which isnt till April when the SETV issued will expire in February!

" I was, however, asked for a copy of my flight ticket back to the UK which isnt till April when the SETV issued will expire in February!"

which embassy or consulate asked you for this because it used to be that you could produce a ticket to go virtually anywhere such as a neighbouring country but if you are implying they specifically insisted that the ticket needed to be back to your home country surely that  for many people will be a difficult criteria to meet at the end of every Visa expiry period

Edited by Asiantravel

23 hours ago, elviajero said:

I very much doubt that a Thai bank book is compulsory and IMO should be avoided if making repeat applications. The MFA requirement is to show 20K which could be in cash.

Well, seeing as the notice posted says a rental agreement can be shown instead of a hotel booking, a thai bank account seems less 'incriminating' than a tourist having rented a room?

The tour itinerary requirement could cause some hassle.  No report of it being required yet, but its there in black and white

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asiantravel said:

" I was, however, asked for a copy of my flight ticket back to the UK which isnt till April when the SETV issued will expire in February!"

which embassy or consulate asked you for this because it used to be that you could produce a ticket to go virtually anywhere such as a neighbouring country but if you are implying they specifically insisted that the ticket needed to be back to your home country surely that  for many people will be a difficult criteria to meet at the end of every Visa expiry period

The topic is about SAVANNAKHET SETV. It was December 6. I was asked if I had a ticket back to UK and then she asked to see it, after inspecting it he instructed me to provide a copy. Search previous threads on this to see more detail on what happened.

13 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

The topic is about SAVANNAKHET SETV. It was December 6. I was asked if I had a ticket back to UK and then she asked to see it, after inspecting it he instructed me to provide a copy. Search previous threads on this to see more detail on what happened.

If you didnt have one, you couldve shown a ticket to anywhere, he said UK because of your passport.

The picture posted on page 1 states round air ticket or bus ticket

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jonw8uk said:

If you didnt have one, you couldve shown a ticket to anywhere, he said UK because of your passport.

The picture posted on page 1 states round air ticket or bus ticket

yes that's what I think. And in any case who in the hell would want to go to Savannakhet consulate if their rules are even more rigourous than everywhere else in the region?:giggle:

I.e. Phnom Penh accepts a ticket to anywhere, Ho Chi Minh City accepts a ticket to anywhere and there hasn't even been any mention yet of Penang asking for any of this particularly if it's done through an agent.

10 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

yes that's what I think. And in any case who in the hell would want to go to Savannakhet consulate if their rules are even more rigourous than everywhere else in the region?:giggle:

I.e. Phnom Penh accepts a ticket to anywhere, Ho Chi Minh City accepts a ticket to anywhere and there hasn't even been any mention yet of Penang asking for any of this particularly if it's done through an agent.

It's good to hear that PP, HCMC, and Penang aren't asking for any of this yet. It would be good to hear more updates on this over the next few weeks as people begin to hit up those places for their visas.

Keep the comments coming, guys. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to more good information from you folks. 

• Like 1

For those that asked if requirements for a non-O multiple entry visa based on marriage conditions had changed at Savannakhet, I applied, as normal, Wednesday (4th) and collected 1 year visa on the following day, as normal. No changes there - but a lot of people were being rejected initially for SETVs as stated previously because of the new rules proving finances etc.

• Like 2

Can never understand this ongoing problem with visa that people have. Have traveled the world extensively for 45 years and had extended holidays (stays) in Thailand for 40+ years and never had this problem anywhere. During my 40 years I have done 1 visarun from Pattaya but didn't like the ride in the minivan. The visa rules for Thailand is not the worse in the world, there was a time when visit some countries was tabu and you got your stamps and visa on loose papers in the passport so you would not be banned from other countries. If you plan your stay and obtain correct visa and tickets in out you will always be fine. Wait until Thailand also requires health insurance to enter as some countries do. There is inexpensive inbound travel insurance to optain in Thailand in done that the last 12-15 years.

I am here today and lots of people got turned away for not having the correct paperwork at the window mostly it  was not having bank statement copies to show monies in account at your home bank or your thailand account  ,and it didn't matter if you had 20,000 bhat cash on your person they wasn't interested in that either they wanted copies off your bank statement , so off they went back to the border to get their 30 day exempt stamp and then enter Thailand that way.

Few people who had girlfriends / wifes  with them tried to talk to the guy at the window but he wasn't interested in what they had to say to him and still turned them away.So its not as easy as people think now as it once was to get a tourist visa here.

• Like 1

I am here today and lots of people got turned away for not having the correct paperwork at the window mostly it  was not having bank statement copies to show monies in account at your home bank or your thailand account  ,and it didn't matter if you had 20,000 bhat cash on your person they wasn't interested in that either they wanted copies off your bank statement , so off they went back to the border to get their 30 day exempt stamp and then enter Thailand that way.

Few people who had girlfriends / wifes  with them tried to talk to the guy at the window but he wasn't interested in what they had to say to him and still turned them away.So its not as easy as people think now as it once was to get a tourist visa here.

Thanks for the info, so it sounds like they are not asking for proof of a flight out of Thailand? can you confirm please as I am. Going next week.

Also is the visa free?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

To be fair, he had a lot of SETV's. He also had a note written in his passport from the last time he got a visa.

I think the visa run company were being honest and decent about it. 

I went to Vientianne on Sunday with a visa run company, as I arrived at the meeting point in BKK they were telling a guy they would not take him as he had the "proof of income etc" written on his last tourist visa, he had not spotted this before

He didn't look very happy when he was walking away but to be fair to the visa run company it's pointless them taking him if he is not going to get a visa

9 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Thanks for the info, so it sounds like they are not asking for proof of a flight out of Thailand? can you confirm please as I am. Going next week.

Also is the visa free?

Yes they also ask for your flight ticket ,I was lucky with that as I work in the offshore industry my company hadn't sent my ticket yet but he spoke to his supervisor and he gave the okay for that so I was not turned away .But if you don't have one you can "hire" a plane ticket from websites costs $10 I think.

Yes the visa is free.

Edited by paul18620
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

Yes they also ask for your flight ticket ,I was lucky with that as I work in the offshore industry my company hadn't sent my ticket yet but he spoke to his supervisor and he gave the okay for that so I was not turned away .But if you don't have one you can "hire" a plane ticket from websites costs $10 I think.

Yes the visa is free.

This 'Hiring' of tickets is another reason why a lot of this is happening. You don't actually get a ticket as such so that may well not work. Immigration are not idiots although a lot of people assume they are. I've no idea what the penalty would be if and when you get caught but I would assume it's going to be a world of pain as far I am aware it would be attempted fraud.

Yes the visa is free.

So dose the plane ticket have to be to your own country?

Sorry but what do you mean you can hire one for $101?

Also the fact that he asked his supervisor means they might be a bit relaxed on it

If it's not for your own country dose anyone know if the budget Airlines refund your money?

This 'Hiring' of tickets is another reason why a lot of this is happening. You don't actually get a ticket as such so that may well not work. Immigration are not idiots although a lot of people assume they are. I've no idea what the penalty would be if and when you get caught but I would assume it's going to be a world of pain as far I am aware it would be attempted fraud.

Dose sound a bit suspect I won't be doing it.

I went to Vientianne on Sunday with a visa run company, as I arrived at the meeting point in BKK they were telling a guy they would not take him as he had the "proof of income etc" written on his last tourist visa, he had not spotted this before

He didn't look very happy when he was walking away but to be fair to the visa run company it's pointless them taking him if he is not going to get a visa

Are you sure it was tourist visa assuming it was 3 months ago I have never herd of proof of income being asked for a tourist visa in 16 years.

Also are they asking for a ticket out of Thailand?

Since your applying for a tourist visa then you are considered a "tourist" so I am sure you have forward travel plans in 2-3 months since thats the period the tourist visa lasts for ,and I doubt it would be to your own country as long as its out of Thailand after the visa expired.

You can hire a plane ticket for 48 hours for $10 from a website I can't remember the name of it but Goole will be your friend there .(Flyonward).

I asked him to ask his supervisor about me not showing air ticket as I am waiting on my company to send me a ticket back to Africa ,and I had my employment contract with me ,so I am sure that was in my favour, and I talked nice and calm to him ,others didn't  as they was angry that they got refused.

3 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Dose sound a bit suspect I won't be doing it.

Suspect? It's fraud pure and simple. I would assume attempting Fraud with immigration would carry a deportation notice. No doubt that immigration are on to the back to back Tourist visas for people living here. People won't be happy until it is completely limited and then having to return to your own country to get another. 100% the end result of all this is that eventually there will be a limitation on the amount of Tourist visas possible.

1 minute ago, juice777 said:

Are you sure it was tourist visa assuming it was 3 months ago I have never herd of proof of income being asked for a tourist visa in 16 years.

Yes they are asking for proof on income for tourist visa now, they did today when I was there and 5 people got refused I was there 15 minutes.

Yes they are asking for ticket out of Thailand as well.

3 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Yes it was a TV and the proof of funds is not something new that is being asked for

17 hours ago, brizz said:

It's good to hear that PP, HCMC, and Penang aren't asking for any of this yet. It would be good to hear more updates on this over the next few weeks as people begin to hit up those places for their visas.

Keep the comments coming, guys. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to more good information from you folks. 

HCMC are asking, check the website, I have a friend who went their on Monday, I am waiting to see him to see what they said

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How many people were getting refused a Tourist visa ?

Percentage of applicants .

there was 7 falangs there when I was in line and 5 got turned away ,me British and an American was the one ones who was successful but there could of been more that I never seen as I didnt stay to see.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Ive never previously heard of anyone having to show any funds at all when applying for a tourist visa .

Well you do now in Savannakhet and if you don't show you will get turned away like people did today .

I am just informing people what I seen today so people are aware of the changes as these people complained saying I haven't heard of this before why change the rules ,but as I said before the guy at the window wasn't interested ,he needed the correct paperwork before giving you a ticket so you can go and collect your visa the next day.