The ugly truth behind Cambodia’s beauty industry

geovalin

By: Sam Bradpiece -

Despite the grave dangers associated with cosmetic procedures in Cambodia, the beauty business in Phnom Penh is booming

Photography by Merja Yeung

In November last year, Ros Sokny, an ambitious and friendly 36-year-old businesswoman from Kratie in eastern Cambodia, made the five-hour journey to Phnom Penh’s De Beaute Clinic, a private cosmetic surgery hospital tucked away in the capital’s western fringes. She had been considering breast augmentation surgery for several months, but in October, the mother of four came across an advert from De Beaute promoting the procedure at a discounted price on her Facebook feed. After discussing the idea with her husband, she booked in the operation, handed over a reported $3,000 to De Beaute and drove to Phnom Penh for a consultation.

Somany Yen, manager at MD7 clinic Somany Yen, manager at MD7 clinic

What should have been a relatively straightforward surgery took a tragic turn once Sokny was anaesthetised. Following an undisclosed complication, she was rushed to the intensive care unit of a nearby private hospital with an organ infection. Three days after going under the knife, she died. The clinic was subsequently closed and is currently under police investigation for possible evidence of malpractice. Sokny’s death made national news headlines but, according to police officials, suspects at De Beaute “escaped” before they could be questioned. Despite being unclear how many suspects were at large, deputy municipal police chief Song Ly assured a reporter from the Cambodia Daily that the police were “looking for them”.

Speaking to Southeast Asia Globe almost a month after his late wife’s death, Phai Veasna expressed his anguish. “My tears have run dry. Right now, I’m scrambling to my feet to pay back the loans that we took for the surgery and to take care of my children’s school fees and expenses. I don’t really know if I can do all this alone without her,” he said, adding that the clinic had not contacted him or offered any compensation.

LONG AND COMPLETE REPORT HERE http://sea-globe.com/cambodia-business-beauty/

" Right now, I’m scrambling to my feet to pay back the loans that we took for the surgery and to take care of my children’s school fees and expenses.  "

at least he has his priorities in the right order........not sure why " an ambitious and friendly 36-year-old businesswoman  " would get her family into such a debt for a boob job.....

Edited by bangon04

• 2 weeks later...

I have talked to many girls about the cost of "silicone" in Thailand. 45-60 k baht for

locals (Thais) at locals hospitals (not the western level private hospitals. 

Some girls had them, others wanted then. All the ones I saw where

outstanding. I guess the surgeons get lots of practice with lady-boys. Not sure

why it is so much more expensive in Cambodia.