Can bring an unopened liter of spirits in Hand Luggage or not?

DLang

You will not be allowed to take it on the plane in hand baggage.

A few months ago I was given at a bottle of wine as a gift while in Bangkok attending a conference. My wife and I were forced to drink it the night before our flight back to here since we had no checked baggage.

On 10/01/2017 at 4:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will not be allowed to take it on the plane in hand baggage.

A few months ago I was given at a bottle of wine as a gift while in Bangkok attending a conference. My wife and I were forced to drink it the night before our flight back to here since we had no checked baggage.

Blimey, that must have been a chore! :whistling:

If it is in an approved sealed tamper-proof bag, with receipt of purchase, then you can hand carry it.

Did this myself very recently.  Arrived on an international flight, purchased at arrivals duty-free, and then caught a domestic flight with it as hand carry.  No issues.

On 1/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, ubonjoe said:

My wife and I were forced to drink it the night before our flight back to here since we had no checked baggage.

A whole bottle of wine, between two of you ? God, travelling can be tough, and we all have to make some big sacrifices from time to time. Hope you got through the ordeal without any ongoing PTSD

• 2 weeks later...

One day, the liquor lobby will lose, common sense will prevail and there will be a ban on flammable liquids like booze in carry on and in checked bags.

Several times on international flights my baggage has come out stinking of the booze that apparently broke in someone else's bags and saturated all the bags under their's, mine included.  Forgetting the fact that I (and several other innocent passengers) show up at my destination with no clean, wearable clothes, sooner or later there's going to be an airplane burning in midair from spilled booze.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

One day, the liquor lobby will lose, common sense will prevail and there will be a ban on flammable liquids like booze in carry on and in checked bags.

Several times on international flights my baggage has come out stinking of the booze that apparently broke in someone else's bags and saturated all the bags under their's, mine included.  Forgetting the fact that I (and several other innocent passengers) show up at my destination with no clean, wearable clothes, sooner or later there's going to be an airplane burning in midair from spilled booze.

That's why I use a flask, a stainless steel one which greatly reduces the possibility of breakage and or leakage.

flask.jpg

55 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

That's why I use a flask, a stainless steel one which greatly reduces the possibility of breakage and or leakage.

Great idea.  

And if you think about it, there's a huge market opportunity for someone to come up with an inexpensive  pouch/ pack that would cushion a bottle of booze from breaking, and contain the liquids if it did break.  Patent it, get it approved by the FAA and other international airline regulators as a requirement to carry booze on board and license it to every duty free shop in the world for a $0.10 royalty per unit.  Your family wouldn't have to work for generations (or at least until money collapses- whichever comes first)

Edit:  Of course, the tough part is getting the regulatory thing done.  The design would be easy.

In the old part of Athens there is a very quirky bar called Brettos which hasn't changed since the first time I went there in 1967 (and apparently for many years before that). They also make their own Ouzo, and they sell a line of it in Aluminium bottles, designed specifically for putting in checked baggage without fear of breakage. I'm not sure what the effect of the aluminium would have on the taste - maybe none; after all, beer comes in aluminium cans. But it does seem a practical solution to the worry of glass bottles getting broken en route.

Archived