Thailand aims for rabies free goal in 2020

webfact

Thailand aims for rabies free goal in 2020

BANGKOK, 10 January 2017 (NNT) – The Department of Livestock Development (DLD) is working to achieve its goal to make Thailand free of rabies by the year 2020, through a dog and cat population control campaign. 

DLD Director-General Apai Suttisunk revealed that fatalities from the disease have increased from two years ago, despite a general decline in the infection rate over the past decade. 

Rabies is commonly found in dogs at a rate of 86 percent,= and has been exacerbated by the increase in stray dog and cat populations. The department head has said the most effective solution is to control the dog and cat populations through permanent sterilization, which can reduce the rate of reproduction by 10 for every female sterilized. 

The DLD has therefore launched a population control campaign in risk areas, including the provinces of Samut Prakan, Chonburi, and Nakhon Ratchasima, with cooperation from local authorities and animal clinics. 

Director Apai revealed that the campaign is running from December 2016 to February 2017, with the aim of tackling the source of stray animals, suppressing the smuggling of dogs to neighboring countries, supporting the royal intentions of Her Royal Highness Princess Chulabhorn to rid Thailand of animal diseases, and realizing the national goal of eliminating rabies from the Kingdom by 2020.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-10

I am surprised the percentage is that high given Thailand exports it's scabied and hairless and rabid Soi dogs by the truckload  to Vietnam. No stray dog or cat problems in Vietnam. Does a sterilized dog taste better than a non-sterilized dog?

At least the campaign runs for two months which is longer than the road safety campaigns run for. Dogs must be more important than humans? Figure that out!

52 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

I am surprised the percentage is that high given Thailand exports it's scabied and hairless and rabid Soi dogs by the truckload  to Vietnam. No stray dog or cat problems in Vietnam. Does a sterilized dog taste better than a non-sterilized dog?

At least the campaign runs for two months which is longer than the road safety campaigns run for. Dogs must be more important than humans? Figure that out!

So in 2 months they'll catch EVERY soidog and sterilize it? Or only the females?

Anyway, that's not gonna happen, there are millions of soidogs in Thailand.

And why catch them, sterilize them and release? Just a bullet works much faster with much faster results as well. Sell the meat to the Chinese and everybody is happy.

People who have issues with shooting soidogs can catch them and keep them in their garden. Don't forget to walk them and they need food/water/vets...

Right now we have 2 kittens in the garden crying all the time...they are stray cats so i won't feed them. I hope they die soon because we have far too many straycats already and they like to shit in my garden and terrace. Also they make a lot of noise...if they even have rabies i'll shoot them myself.

So can cats really have rabies??

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Rabies is commonly found in dogs at a rate of 86 percent,

That's not the same text as in the original article...which reads:

Eighty-six percent of the rabies in Thailand was commonly found in dogs and was exacerbated by an increased number of stray dogs and cats

BANGKOK, 10 January 2017 (NNT) – The Department of Livestock Development (DLD) plans to make Thailand free of rabies by 2020, given a dog and cat population control campaign. 

DLD Director General Apai Suttisunk said that fatalities from the disease have increased over the last two years, despite a general decline in the infection rate over the past decade. 

Eighty-six percent of the rabies in Thailand was commonly found in dogs and was exacerbated by an increased number of stray dogs and cats. The department head said the most effective solution is to control the dog and cat populations through permanent sterilization which can reduce the rate of reproduction by 10 percent. 

The DLD has launched the dog and cat population control campaign in risk areas, including the provinces of Samut Prakarn, Chonburi and Nakhon Ratchasima. 

The director said the campaign has been carried out since December 2016 until February 2017 with the aim of containing stray dogs and cats, suppressing the smuggling of dogs to neighboring countries and supporting Her Royal Highness Princess Chulabhorn's initiative to rid Thailand of animal diseases, and realizing the national goal of eliminating the rabies by 2020.

Information and Source

Reporter : Tanakorn SangiamRewriter : Benjamin RujopakarnNational News Bureau & Public Relations : http://thainews.prd.go.th

23 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So can cats really have rabies??

All land mammals can, including us.

A quick fix to the Soi dog/cat menace would be to introduce a tail or foot bounty as seen in the UK prior to 1970 to eradicate vermin and certain introduced species.

Edited by evadgib

Will never happen.

Apart from open land borders to several other countries, it's more than cats and dogs that carry and spread the disease.

I read a report recently where they tested a lot of the dogs outside 7-11 in BKK. The number that tested positive for rabies was high.

Also there was the story of a taxi bike driver who died from a virulent form of rabies 24 hours after being bitten by a dog he was feeding outside a 7-11.

I like dogs, but out here, I now go nowhere near them if possible.

A laudable aim, but by 2020 surely the by then democratically elected government will... Whoops. 2020 it will be and the NCPO will be patting themselves on the back for yet another task that is making progress, but will take another couple of years or so before they can finally hand power back over to the civilians. Just let them finalise the constitution first which will take a little while longer and Thailand will be good to go...

Fine every idiot that feeds these mongrels.

Load the strays up and get it over with once and for all, it's a national disgrace.

Yes I am a pet lover but my kids lives are far more important. 

Our Soi is now dog free thanks to a few baht to the right people.

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Every Soi dog and stray cat, rat, mouse will

be treated for rabies....Yea, when pigs fly!!

just after the Thais have built a giant wall and animal proof fence all along the Cambodian, Laotian and Burmese borders

Interestingly,  I was talking with our vet last week. Getting my dog her yearly shots. What she said startled me.

According to her. There is a huge rabies problem with household dogs and cats here. People forgetting to vaccinate. Or thinking that it's not warranted as the pet is an inside on property pet only.

It's these pets that get bit by a rat. Get rabbits and bite everyone in the household.

She just had an entire family get bit by there golden reliever.had the dog for years. Must have got bit in the yard or house.

So...it's not just the soi dogs we need to worry about. 

Get bit.verify with the vet that gave the shots. 

14 hours ago, phetphet said:

Will never happen.

Apart from open land borders to several other countries, it's more than cats and dogs that carry and spread the disease.

I read a report recently where they tested a lot of the dogs outside 7-11 in BKK. The number that tested positive for rabies was high.

Also there was the story of a taxi bike driver who died from a virulent form of rabies 24 hours after being bitten by a dog he was feeding outside a 7-11.

I like dogs, but out here, I now go nowhere near them if possible.

Of course it'll never happen.   The soi dog debate repeats every few months on TV.  Last time around one dim bulb was minimizing the rabies threat as almost non-existent while others were trying to give dog-whisperer lessons on how to deal with soi dogs without - heaven forbid - doing any harm to them, and preferably even feeding them.  If foreigners coming from countries where strays are rounded up and either successfully adopted out or humanely euthanized can't recognize the danger, by what wizardry would you expect the locals to?

• 9 months later...

Stray dogs problem was not solved with previous government, with current government and won't be solved with next government. This is dead end, there is no legal way to solve this problem at the moment. Government intentionally do everything to increase soi dog population and remove from people any opportunities to defend.

Before 10 years ago they collect dogs and dispose them. They do not do that anymore. They had dog trade to Vietnam, now they banned it.  Before 2014 it was no law against poisoning and killing stray dogs, now they have.

The only legal and highly inefficient way is sterilization, government for sure stopped financing all sterilization programs.  I can only guess why they introduces laws like that, may be some parliament members like to feed soi dogs, may be pharmaceutical companies lobbying, may be it is a conspiracy. One thing am 100% sure it is not because pressure from animal rights activists. I saw one animal activists protest involved 20 people only, mostly young girls, old woman and few ill looking man. Sure government afraid these protests and passed laws under pressure.

In few words government do not do anything to solve that problem and at the same time it prosecutes volunteers trying to reduce dog population. You know when there is no solution and only dead end then sparks of revolution start lighting in people hearts.