Police sold my underage daughter into sex trade, says mother

webfact

This really is a world-wide problem.  If I ever have kids and my child is a girl born in Thailand, I'm certainly going to have a panic attack for about 1 week and then make long term plans to move to a western country.  the mentality here is "paycheck first"....but not in my head.  anything that i am responsible for, i worry.  if a member on TV gets sold into sex, well we can all make fun and go have coffee.  but if it's my daughter....yea, this is when you start filming Rambo 9.  

Edited by puukao

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Of course things like this are going on.

Of course looking away by those meant to do something about it is happening.

But please don't generalise on Thailand, it is also and maybe even worse in your own country.

A myth?

Not really.

But why this western attention to the problem here, and why not in their own country.

Indeed, the subsidies.

There is a huge rescue industry not making much difference to anything.

It is all a matter of degree and the effort made to stop it. In Thailand it is widespread an openly available everywhere and the people meant to stop it are running it. That is the crucial difference 

I still do not understand why farangs bash Thai blemishes, yet feel so strongly about the superiority of their own country, they actually chose to live in Thailand. You ain't gonna change this society. My Thai wife just smiles, shakes her head and says "Farang baa"....

53 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Most Thais sell their children, usually through marriage.

If you are referring to the Sin Sot here in Thailand, I wouldn't call it selling their children, as it still is common amongst European's in their villages, i.e. when it originally it started off with I will give you two donkeys for your daughter to marry my son, or I will give you one buffalo if your son marries my daughter, and with progress comes $'s.

I gave 200,000 baht to my wife's parent's 10 years ago because I could see that they were on struggle street, nothing since, was my suggestion at the time, not once did my wife suggest a Sin Sot, and when I suggested the money, she said "up to you", I kept up my end of the deal and also keep the in-laws at bay, the wife takes them a meal (treat) a few times a week and as she other sisters, they all look after their parents.

Have heard some shocking stories of farangs in the village paying 10 times more to build their houses, with Sin Sots that make mine look cheap, I suppose there is a sucker born every minute.

As for my daughter, who ever is deemed fit enough to marry them will have to have a large Sin Sot 555  

She said that her daughter, now 19, was forced to service businessmen, traders and civil servants. If she refused she was beaten, reports Daily News.

Where was mommy during this sex slavery? How long did it take place and when did it start? I don't understand the Thai news links, leaves alot of unanswered questions for me, but I'd bet anything the cop is guilty of something along with others maybe even the complainant.

cops control the prostitution rackets in KK and UDON, back street whorehouses where young laosian girls are forced to work,          i know ive seen them in there,        ive seen them drinking outside them many times.          seems recently that they have closed or moved a lot of them but up untill 3 years ago there were many with up to 20 girls locked away in a room.

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

This is a lot more common than people think. :thumbsup:

You got that right.......... Some of the 'cops' in Thailand ( and a couple monks, it seems) are so crooked that snakes can't even make themselves as crooked.......

My Thai wife has two older brothers who are cops and although they don't 'traffic' any girls (at least i don't think they do) they are commonly 'Stumbling Drunk' when on duty at night. They would be totally useless to some citizen who needed police assistance in their rural village..........

2 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Seriously...everday there is some article about bad cops and crooked cops in the Thai police force...when is there actually going to be a police reform. The NCPO and Gen Prayut should use section 44 and dissolve the Royal Thai Police Force and let the army takes its place. Just today in the Bangkok post there is an article about another senior cop involved in murder. At least the Thai Army has been doing a very good job abd I suggest that they stay in power for another 30 years please. No elections please, there are no decent politicans . Gen Prayuth has been doing a fine job so far, so please remain.

No problems renewing YOUR next visa, then. 

It's not easy to come forward and speak out against something like this, whether you're the victim, the parents, or even a witness. The reality is very powerful people are involved in this kind of stuff and Thailand is a country where 20K baht can arrange to have someone killed, that is if you're not willing to just do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Seriously...everday there is some article about bad cops and crooked cops in the Thai police force...when is there actually going to be a police reform. The NCPO and Gen Prayut should use section 44 and dissolve the Royal Thai Police Force and let the army takes its place. Just today in the Bangkok post there is an article about another senior cop involved in murder. At least the Thai Army has been doing a very good job abd I suggest that they stay in power for another 30 years please. No elections please, there are no decent politicans . Gen Prayuth has been doing a fine job so far, so please remain.

Wow. There's one believer left then. I'm impressed.

Sure, no corruption in the army. At ease, now.

And Thais have no morals so they don't deserve democracy. Faultless reasoning.

Edited by Lannig

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you are referring to the Sin Sot here in Thailand, I wouldn't call it selling their children, as it still is common amongst European's in their villages, i.e. when it originally it started off with I will give you two donkeys for your daughter to marry my son, or I will give you one buffalo if your son marries my daughter, and with progress comes $'s.

I gave 200,000 baht to my wife's parent's 10 years ago because I could see that they were on struggle street, nothing since, was my suggestion at the time, not once did my wife suggest a Sin Sot, and when I suggested the money, she said "up to you", I kept up my end of the deal and also keep the in-laws at bay, the wife takes them a meal (treat) a few times a week and as she other sisters, they all look after their parents.

Have heard some shocking stories of farangs in the village paying 10 times more to build their houses, with Sin Sots that make mine look cheap, I suppose there is a sucker born every minute.

As for my daughter, who ever is deemed fit enough to marry them will have to have a large Sin Sot 555  

Why wouldn't you call it selling their children?  It's comical that you start with that and then describes a situation where the in-laws are kept "at bay" and then ends with laughing at people who paid more than you.  

You used the phrase, "farangs in the village paying 10 times more" and if you would care to look up the definition of "pay" it means to give money for goods or services.  Sounds like people being sold to me.  

1 minute ago, digibum said:

Why wouldn't you call it selling their children?  It's comical that you start with that and then describes a situation where the in-laws are kept "at bay" and then ends with laughing at people who paid more than you.  

You used the phrase, "farangs in the village paying 10 times more" and if you would care to look up the definition of "pay" it means to give money for goods or services.  Sounds like people being sold to me.  

Each to their own translation of the word "pay"

In Thailand it is the kids that have to repay their parents for bringing them into this life, and repaying them by looking after them is a part of life, i.e. the kids work and sent mum and dad money as opposed to us foreigners who live independently to our parents. Village or farmers living off rice have no other source of income and are generally uneducated, not having completed high school, let alone attended.

I didn't buy or pay for my wife, however having read up on Thai culture, it is a custom for a Sin Sot to be given to the parents of the girl, I have been to a few Thai wedding in the village and ranging from 20,000 to 50,000 baht is the norm, it assist the parents because they will lose the income or most of it that the daughter would be providing them with as she makes a life of her own, and if she is the only daughter, the husband has to live with the in-laws.

I look at the Sin Sot as helping out the old, keeping them at bay is my choice, I don't speak their language and have had trouble with in-laws before, so best keep them at bay (arms length), see them every now and again, and that's enough.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Each to their own translation of the word "pay"

In Thailand it is the kids that have to repay their parents for bringing them into this life, and repaying them by looking after them is a part of life, i.e. the kids work and sent mum and dad money as opposed to us foreigners who live independently to our parents. Village or farmers living off rice have no other source of income and are generally uneducated, not having completed high school, let alone attended.

I didn't buy or pay for my wife, however having read up on Thai culture, it is a custom for a Sin Sot to be given to the parents of the girl, I have been to a few Thai wedding in the village and ranging from 20,000 to 50,000 baht is the norm, it assist the parents because they will lose the income or most of it that the daughter would be providing them with as she makes a life of her own, and if she is the only daughter, the husband has to live with the in-laws.

I look at the Sin Sot as helping out the old, keeping them at bay is my choice, I don't speak their language and have had trouble with in-laws before, so best keep them at bay (arms length), see them every now and again, and that's enough.

Please don't try to explain to me what sin sot is.  I know what it is.  

It is a grotesque perversion of an old tradition.  I know Thai guys, not farangs, who have had to borrow obscene amounts of money to pay sin sot.  It's a huge money grab.  Why would parents ask a Thai guy making 25K a month to pay 1,000,000 baht sin sot?  It's greed.  It's about flashing all of that cash in front of their friends like they just won the lottery so they can gain face about how much their daughter is worth.  

Hey, I'm not against the tradition of sin sot as a tradition.  I'm sure there's a reason us farangs carry our new brides over the threshold that is based entirely on some tradition none of us even remember.  But when parents don't gift it back to the kids (especially when it's Thais marrying Thais since there is no big fat pile of farang money to pay for it), it's a money grab, plain and simple.  

2 minutes ago, digibum said:

Please don't try to explain to me what sin sot is.  I know what it is.  

It is a grotesque perversion of an old tradition.  I know Thai guys, not farangs, who have had to borrow obscene amounts of money to pay sin sot.  It's a huge money grab.  Why would parents ask a Thai guy making 25K a month to pay 1,000,000 baht sin sot?  It's greed.  It's about flashing all of that cash in front of their friends like they just won the lottery so they can gain face about how much their daughter is worth.  

Hey, I'm not against the tradition of sin sot as a tradition.  I'm sure there's a reason us farangs carry our new brides over the threshold that is based entirely on some tradition none of us even remember.  But when parents don't gift it back to the kids (especially when it's Thais marrying Thais since there is no big fat pile of farang money to pay for it), it's a money grab, plain and simple.  

I agree with the part about the Thai's guys you know who had to borrow an insane amount as you suggest, personally I would have moved on as it doesn't add up and the girl would have been out of my league, let the parents keep their million baht daughter.

If parents are in a position to give back to the child being married, I am all for it, that is if they are wealthy, but then wealth can breed greed I am told, especially in the old and senile.

Personally I have seen first hand what Thai parents are capable of when it comes to thinking farangs are walking ATM machines (which I am), but I don't flaunt it, and this ATM only works when it has to, i.e. for immediate family ONLY ! 

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I agree with the part about the Thai's guys you know who had to borrow an insane amount as you suggest, personally I would have moved on as it doesn't add up and the girl would have been out of my league, let the parents keep their million baht daughter.

If parents are in a position to give back to the child being married, I am all for it, that is if they are wealthy, but then wealth can breed greed I am told, especially in the old and senile.

Personally I have seen first hand what Thai parents are capable of when it comes to thinking farangs are walking ATM machines (which I am), but I don't flaunt it, and this ATM only works when it has to, i.e. for immediate family ONLY ! 

I'm fortunate that my wife has the same sick sense of humor as I do.  

Her:  You know you have to pay something for sin sot.  

Me:  Why?  

Her:  It's Thai.  It shows that you have enough money to take care of me.  

Me:  How does that make any sense?  If I give them all of my money how am I supposed to take care of you?  

Her:  You know what I mean.  It's Thai tradition.  

Me:  Okay, let me print out my brokerage account statement and put it on the sin sot thingy instead of cash.  Everyone can ooooh and awwww over that.  It proves I got the money, right?  

Her:  You're an a-hole. 

Walks out

Me:  Baby, what if I put my accountant on speakerphone and he can read my financial statement.  

Her (from the other room):  Only if he speaks Thai.  

19 minutes ago, digibum said:

I'm fortunate that my wife has the same sick sense of humor as I do.  

Her:  You know you have to pay something for sin sot.  

Me:  Why?  

Her:  It's Thai.  It shows that you have enough money to take care of me.  

Me:  How does that make any sense?  If I give them all of my money how am I supposed to take care of you?  

Her:  You know what I mean.  It's Thai tradition.  

Me:  Okay, let me print out my brokerage account statement and put it on the sin sot thingy instead of cash.  Everyone can ooooh and awwww over that.  It proves I got the money, right?  

Her:  You're an a-hole. 

Walks out

Me:  Baby, what if I put my accountant on speakerphone and he can read my financial statement.  

Her (from the other room):  Only if he speaks Thai.  

That's tight as a fishes a-hole 555