Butt naked farang lets the western side down in Pai!

webfact

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I am not from the UK but when I travel there or any other country including my own I am respectful and conduct myself with decorum.

I do not get my ideas from the Post- I hardly read it.

As far as Thais not speaking out- this is part of their culture and they would not speak to you as a foreigner about important changes they want in the country. If you are part of a Thai community and family- they may let you in on their thinking if you can speak Thai.

It is so obvious to me that there are many casual visitors and even expats who know nothing about Thailand or its people and refuse to learn and simply  dwell in their own preconceived ideas. It's really too bad because there is so much real information out there right in front of you.

I have lived here 15 years plus another 10 years on and off visiting.  I speak Thai and some local language of my area.  Thai Friends sure don't hold back speaking to me about changes they want to make or what they think is right or wrong (usually after a few drinks). 

I always live in rural areas... I don't like big city lifestyle.  My neighbours are farmers, low income families, all very down to earth and no 'high so attitude'. 

Why you seem to think us farangs are worse in our behavior in general than Thai people is beyond me.  I can only assume you don't get involved in the average Thai life on a daily basis.

We farang are no better or worse on average from the Thais... from wife beating, secret lovers, incest, gambling, drug and alcohol addictions, thieves etc etc.

My area is vitally all Thai people.  There are fights, drunk road accidents and deaths, children smoking and taking drugs, animal abuse, wife battering, robberies, child abuse, racism and the list goes on.  A large percentage of my Thai female friends have children form different fathers, their husbands have second wives, and third ones and kids with them. 

Monks at the temples are corrupt from illegally cutting down 100 year old trees to see the wood, driving the temple (brand new expensive)  truck out late at night, dressed in normal clothes, having ear splitting loud parties (even the same day when someone very important died)

There are scantly clad young women flirting with the boys, head man, and his gang in the village bars.  There are short time hotels with are used 100 percent by Thai people. 

There have been murders and shootings, knifings and the like. Thai men walk around the street bare chested with only shorts and flip flops, Thai women in short skirts and long boots, sexy dancing girls are the village or Tessabaan parties on stage. 

I think you must just be staying in your house watching TV, or going to cultural Thai shows with your high so friends.

The gently speaking, respectful smiling and bowing Thai people you think all Thai people are is mostly a mask to make day to day life more pleasant on the surface.  This is not because Thai people are bad, same as us farangs are not all bad.  But for you to think Thai people are morally superior in their behavior to farangs is a big mistake. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I have lived here 15 years plus another 10 years on and off visiting.  I speak Thai and some local language of my area.  Thai Friends sure don't hold back speaking to me about changes they want to make or what they think is right or wrong (usually after a few drinks). 

I always live in rural areas... I don't like big city lifestyle.  My neighbours are farmers, low income families, all very down to earth and no 'high so attitude'. 

Why you seem to think us farangs are worse in our behavior in general than Thai people is beyond me.  I can only assume you don't get involved in the average Thai life on a daily basis.

We farang are no better or worse on average from the Thais... from wife beating, secret lovers, incest, gambling, drug and alcohol addictions, thieves etc etc.

My area is vitally all Thai people.  There are fights, drunk road accidents and deaths, children smoking and taking drugs, animal abuse, wife battering, robberies, child abuse, racism and the list goes on.  A large percentage of my Thai female friends have children form different fathers, their husbands have second wives, and third ones and kids with them. 

Monks at the temples are corrupt from illegally cutting down 100 year old trees to see the wood, driving the temple (brand new expensive)  truck out late at night, dressed in normal clothes, having ear splitting loud parties (even the same day when someone very important died)

There are scantly clad young women flirting with the boys, head man, and his gang in the village bars.  There are short time hotels with are used 100 percent by Thai people. 

There have been murders and shootings, knifings and the like. Thai men walk around the street bare chested with only shorts and flip flops, Thai women in short skirts and long boots, sexy dancing girls are the village or Tessabaan parties on stage. 

I think you must just be staying in your house watching TV, or going to cultural Thai shows with your high so friends.

The gently speaking, respectful smiling and bowing Thai people you think all Thai people are is mostly a mask to make day to day life more pleasant on the surface.  This is not because Thai people are bad, same as us farangs are not all bad.  But for you to think Thai people are morally superior in their behavior to farangs is a big mistake. 

You no under-sa-tand!

They are better, because they are Thai and we are just guests here and if you don't like go home...ad nauseam!

You are talking to a Thai'er- than-Thai!

There will always be an excuse for Thai-behavior and a full on attack on western behavior!

Also in this case: two nobs are taking a bath in a river- big deal!

But they are from the west, so they are druggies or alcoholics and they have no culture...and the fragile Thai- soul is once again at risk of being shattered!

By the way: do I think, that every westerner should hold his naked @$$ into some camera or even bath naked in every river?

No!

But do I think "outraged netizens" and a man hunt in the (social) media should be coming out of that?

Hell, no!

You read me wrong sir- I do not think Thai people are superior to anyone nor do I think foreigners are bad people. I agree with most of your post about what you have seen and I have seen the same things. I have lived all over Thailand- both small and large cities. As I said in one of my posts Thailand has the good, the bad and the ugly. I have also said that I have had discussions with Thai people of all economic and cultural classes from the poorest to the richest and most have varying opinions. Since you speak Thai as do I- Thai  will open up more.

The thrust of the thread is simple- Thais do not like foreigners telling them what to do; how to act; what to think and definitely do not like foreigners behaving in ways that Thais see as an insult to Thai cultural norms. It doesn't matter how Thais act. It matters how we as foreigners act. All other arguments are simply extraneous.

I don' think there should be a manhunt either.  I don't even think they should be arrested or deported if known. I do however see this incident and the others reported almost daily of foreigners have sex in public; pissing on the street; getting drunk and fighting; stealing; bothering local people with their demeanor etc as a problem.  Simple as that. Yet- we constantly read from people about how bad the Thais are; how messed up their country is; how there is no freedom. I still wonder- if one dislikes this place so much- why do you stay? If I really did not like this place- I would move on rather than constantly complain about things I cannot change.

If tourists came to your country and stripped of naked in front of kids etc are you telling me that's ok? And as for walking in a bikini  they should show respect to local customs and beliefs. I am sure you all would be up in arms if a tourist disrespected your customs and beliefs. The Thai cops were too slow I know in UK the guy would be done for indecent exposure. 

If we live or visit a foreign country we should respect their customs, it called good manners.

I get the impression on this site you guys just blame the Thais for everything, I lived in a seaside town In. Uk and you would not see women walking down the high street in a bikini and it would be frowned upon if a person sat in a cafe, restaurant or a bar just wearing g swim wear. 

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I don' think there should be a manhunt either.  I don't even think they should be arrested or deported if known. I do however see this incident and the others reported almost daily of foreigners have sex in public; pissing on the street; getting drunk and fighting; stealing; bothering local people with their demeanor etc as a problem.  Simple as that. Yet- we constantly read from people about how bad the Thais are; how messed up their country is; how there is no freedom. I still wonder- if one dislikes this place so much- why do you stay? If I really did not like this place- I would move on rather than constantly complain about things I cannot change.

For every misbehaving foreigner there are probably thousands who behave well but that doesn't sell newspapers.

28 minutes ago, Anon999 said:

Have you been drinking too much? They would not be prosecuted for being a sexual predator back home!!!! In the UK, as you should know well, that would not even be mentioned.

I also resent you referring to my family and friends who come here as tourists being "evil". A public apology would be more than in order along with refraining from making any more unqualified generalisations! 

Where you live in LoS they must be underwhelmed with you from your sad views on others, both expats and visitors.  Difficult to know where you are as you claim to be in the UK but write posts as if you exist here. A sad case you definitely are.

If you cannot make constructive comments it's better to say nothing. 

You are saying I am drunk???!?!!

This is a personal attack and you should be BANNED IMMEDIATELY

If tourists came to your country and stripped of naked in front of kids etc are you telling me that's ok? And as for walking in a bikini  they should show respect to local customs and beliefs. I am sure you all would be up in arms if a tourist disrespected your customs and beliefs. The Thai cops were too slow I know in UK the guy would be done for indecent exposure. 
If we live or visit a foreign country we should respect their customs, it called good manners.
I get the impression on this site you guys just blame the Thais for everything, I lived in a seaside town In. Uk and you would not see women walking down the high street in a bikini and it would be frowned upon if a person sat in a cafe, restaurant or a bar just wearing g swim wear. 

If some guy came over and stripped, pulling out and waving his John Thomas in my missus face, yes I'd be angry and probably violent as well. But if I saw two girls walking down the high street in bikini's in Bangkok, I'd be suprised but in Pai, not really. But then again it depends on the bikini. If it was a thong, so you could see all of her bum, then yes. If it was a pants bottom bikini, mmm, not suprised. Tops don't matter. Unless the girl has stars glued to her nipples. Nothing is suprising with bikini tops.

The problem in Pai is that it's built up a bit of a reputation as a place where "anything goes". So while this sort of behaviour is deplorable it also isn't altogether surprising. A lot of tourists come to Thailand ignorant of the laws and traditions of the country and are perhaps taken off guard that a region, which has a lax attitude (by "lax attitude" I mean things like funny smelling cigarettes and milkshakes which can distort one's perception of the world) then contradicts itself by crying foul of girls wearing bikini tops. I think the phrase "you can't have your cake and eat it" rings true here. If Pai doesn't want hordes of tourists invading it and cavorting around then maybe it should shut down or restrict sale of otherwise aforementioned goods or at least put up big signs like they have done with "no smoking" signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

The problem in Pai is that it's built up a bit of a reputation as a place where "anything goes". So while this sort of behaviour is deplorable it also isn't altogether surprising. A lot of tourists come to Thailand ignorant of the laws and traditions of the country and are perhaps taken off guard that a region, which has a lax attitude (by "lax attitude" I mean things like funny smelling cigarettes and milkshakes which can distort one's perception of the world) then contradicts itself by crying foul of girls wearing bikini tops. I think the phrase "you can't have your cake and eat it" rings true here. If Pai doesn't want hordes of tourists invading it and cavorting around then maybe it should shut down or restrict sale of otherwise aforementioned goods or at least put up big signs like they have done with "no smoking" signs.

The owner of one resort is complaining, they are hardly voice of Pai, they might not even be from the area.

11 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

"Some foreigners are walking down the main street in Pai in bikinis" 

A visit to a German or a Scandinavian beach would be a real shocker for the resort owner from Pai.

But (pun intended) this isn't Germany or Scandinavia...this is Thailand...what don't you understand about that? We are guests, so please act like one. 

A single photograph only tells a single story. During my several visits to Pai in 2559. I never saw or smelled ganja in the streets of Pai.

Perhaps, occasionally someone or somebody exposes themselves on river banks. One suggestion would be live your life. If someone offends your moral codes, either confront them of immediately contact authorities.

I think that Thailand has to decide whether they want western tourism with all it's pitfalls and tourist money or whether they want to "preserve" the so called local Thai culture.  Thailand is awash with contradictions when it comes to morality and ethics and as we all know the great god money usually wins the day!

When will some Thai start to feel ridiculous ? Because they are !!!!

Cannot stand these people shocked by anything in 2017 ! Go back to your cave if you do not want tourists money !

No respect for this kind of Thai ! You deserve all the hate in the world !

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think that Thailand has to decide whether they want western tourism with all it's pitfalls and tourist money or whether they want to "preserve" the so called local Thai culture.  Thailand is awash with contradictions when it comes to morality and ethics and as we all know the great god money usually wins the day!

Right !

The only solution is that hey all shut their mouth definitively ! Because of course they want our money !

3 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

It'd be naive to think just one person holds this view in Pai.

You think all do?  As that would be what is implied with a comment like "If Pai doesn't want..." based on the complaints of a resort owner.  You now assume others will agree but that also does not make this assumed group of people the voice of Pai, if the majority were not happy in the current situation, which does witness a lot of hedonism, then things would not go as smoothly as they do in Pai and in reality the hedonism would not have been encouraged in the first place.

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Absolutely no contest between morality and money which is a lack of the former in any case.

You think all do?  As that would be what is implied with a comment like "If Pai doesn't want..." based on the complaints of a resort owner.  You now assume others will agree but that also does not make this assumed group of people the voice of Pai, if the majority were not happy in the current situation, which does witness a lot of hedonism, then things would not go as smoothly as they do in Pai and in reality the hedonism would not have been encouraged in the first place.

I agree in part with what you're saying. Obviously hedonism is encouraged in Pai and this has seemingly led to a perception that running around butt-naked in public is an ok thing to do. However you're taking it literally that one resorts owner's views are the minority in Pai just because it's part of the story. Putting the population of Pai aside for one moment I've no doubt that the ire of Thai netizens on kapook and the wider social media community will be irked by the inferior morals of the Western tourists. My point is that if people encourage this hedonistic behaviour for monetary gain, they can't then turn round and complain about it too. I would also caveat that by saying tourists should respect the laws and traditions of the country they are visiting. It is not a country that is ok with nudism, hell even topless women on beaches. The contradiction between modesty and hedonism is well known in Thailand, and I think the responsibility lies with both parties to make sure people have a good time without taking it too far.

13 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

I agree in part with what you're saying. Obviously hedonism is encouraged in Pai and this has seemingly led to a perception that running around butt-naked in public is an ok thing to do. However you're taking it literally that one resorts owner's views are the minority in Pai just because it's part of the story. Putting the population of Pai aside for one moment I've no doubt that the ire of Thai netizens on kapook and the wider social media community will be irked by the inferior morals of the Western tourists. My point is that if people encourage this hedonistic behaviour for monetary gain, they can't then turn round and complain about it too. I would also caveat that by saying tourists should respect the laws and traditions of the country they are visiting. It is not a country that is ok with nudism, hell even topless women on beaches. The contradiction between modesty and hedonism is well known in Thailand, and I think the responsibility lies with both parties to make sure people have a good time without taking it too far.

What you are assuming is that the same people are complaining as also encourage just because at least one of them is in Pai, what I am suggesting is that they are different people and the conservative types who complain are not the only voice of Pai, nor Thailand as a whole, just because they shout louder.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I am not from the UK but when I travel there or any other country including my own I am respectful and conduct myself with decorum.

I do not get my ideas from the Post- I hardly read it.

As far as Thais not speaking out- this is part of their culture and they would not speak to you as a foreigner about important changes they want in the country. If you are part of a Thai community and family- they may let you in on their thinking if you can speak Thai.

It is so obvious to me that there are many casual visitors and even expats who know nothing about Thailand or its people and refuse to learn and simply  dwell in their own preconceived ideas. It's really too bad because there is so much real information out there right in front of you.

I agree with much of that but...

People go to Thailand for various reasons but hardly ever for the "Thai Culture".  It is a gap year favourite because of cheap accommodation, easy access to cheap drugs and booze and some pretty wild full moon and the like parties.  Others come to Thailand for the sex, drugs and hangovers and others for the beach scene.  It's a hedonists paradise.  There are also some (though not that many) that do come for the culture and obviously they are careful to abide by the local cultural ways.  Thailand advertises itself far more on the nightlife and beach scene than the cultural side because that is what attracts the tourists.

Being an expat is a totally different thing.  You don't sh*t on your own doorstep if you want to reap the rewards of Thailand.

9 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Simply past new laws and get rid of all the farangs in Thailand, be it expats, workers, investors, or tourists. enough is enough..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................lol!

I vote for either just getting rid of ALL of them by ejection or just having a mass execution after torturing them.  (then employ Soylent Green techniques)

And special attention should be given to any human being who shows the audacity to walk down the hippie  town street wearing a bikini.

MrsKaen and i were in Pattaya some months ago.We were on the beach side of beach road at the walking street end.There were about 50 Thai guys all looking over the rails at something.Being curios and downright nosey we went to see what was going on.There were two Russian girls laying on the beach topless.The thai guys were shouting and catcalling(if there is a version of Thai cat calling)and they were pushing each other out of the way to get a better look.I could see just how outraged they were and how embarrassed they were by this show of European flesh.Even the plod that arrived stood staring at them for at least 3 minutes before he said something and they put their tops back on.You could hear the audible disappointment from the crowd when they put they covered up. But needless to say the guys were all so disgusted at this obscenity, that they were all standing around laughing and making childish gestures 15 minutes after the girls had left the beach.It suggests that the most ignorant of the spectators must assume that all foreign white girls are like this,and therefore easy.