Pizza Sauce.

NoshowJones

anyone know a recipe for making pizza sauce with just fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion and oil? tomato sauce and tomato paste are as hard to find in my area as a good pizza...I suppose I could just cook the toms in the other ingredients and mash up with a potato masher or put in a blender...ain't got no oregano or italian spices but I brought back some za'atar from saudi...

One I use requires no cooking.

1 (14 1/2oz0 can diced tomatoes w/ juice

1 (6oz) can tomato paste

2T olive oil

2T chopped basil (or 2t dried)

1 1/2 t dried oregano

1 1/2 t sugar

1 t minced garlic

3/4 t salt (or1 1/2 t kosher salt)

Mix in a bowl & adjust salt to taste.

Lasts 5 days in refer or 2 months in freezer.

Fast & easy & tasty

On 1/12/2017 at 9:06 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

anyone know a recipe for making pizza sauce with just fresh tomatoes, garlic, onion and oil? tomato sauce and tomato paste are as hard to find in my area as a good pizza...I suppose I could just cook the toms in the other ingredients and mash up with a potato masher or put in a blender...ain't got no oregano or italian spices but I brought back some za'atar from saudi...

Easy. 

Fry garlic and onion in (olive) oil. Add diced fresh tomato's and a sprig of fresh basil. Add some water. 

Let simmer it till the water is evaporated and you have a thick sauce. Sir occasionally, especially at the end to prevent burning. Your sauce should become quite thick otherwise your pizza will become too soggy.

No need to use stuff from cans, everything you need you can find on the market except maybe olive oil - the Italians who invented the pizza hundreds of years ago never went to Tesco or ordered ingredients online.

Edited by U235

14 hours ago, U235 said:

Easy. 

Fry garlic and onion in (olive) oil. Add diced fresh tomato's and a sprig of fresh basil. Add some water. 

Let simmer it till the water is evaporated and you have a thick sauce. Sir occasionally, especially at the end to prevent burning. Your sauce should become quite thick otherwise your pizza will become too soggy.

No need to use stuff from cans, everything you need you can find on the market except maybe olive oil - the Italians who invented the pizza hundreds of years ago never went to Tesco or ordered ingredients online.

I make one similar to this but don't add water. A low simmer with lid on. The natural moisture from the tomatoes is enough. I blitz it then run through a sieve.

Can add vinegar and a little sugar to taste.

Don't throw away what is left in a sieve. Use it to make the base of the next ragu that you make. I know it sounds picky but waste not want not.

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

thanx, gents...just what I was lookin' for...

when ye make pizza, what sort of toppings does yer thai family like? I was gonna guess anchovies to start, they got 'em at lotac...ground pork? chiles?

To be honest, I am not really interested in recipes, too much hassle looking around for things, much easier just to buy ready made to pour on.

42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

To be honest, I am not really interested in recipes, too much hassle looking around for things, much easier just to buy ready made to pour on.

sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...but the question of pizza sauce preparation from available ingredients came up as I ain't got no easy access to any prepared tomato based sauces...but there's plenty of tomatoes, garlic and onions available...

a good thread as I've been holding off tryin' to make pizza because of the persistent sauce problem...the kids really like pizza...

6 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

thanx, gents...just what I was lookin' for...

when ye make pizza, what sort of toppings does yer thai family like? I was gonna guess anchovies to start, they got 'em at lotac...ground pork? chiles?

Just the classics; pepperoni, ham, seafood, mushrooms, mozzarella, artichoke, anchovies, capers, etc.

I never change recipes of Western food so that  they better fit the Thai taste. After all, the kids have my falang genes so it is only natural that they learn to eat Western food too. Never had a problem with it. Only my wife can be a bit picky but I can always seduce her with a pizza Margaretha or a seafood one.

Just be careful with anchovies, they might be too salty for many people (Thai and Non Thai). 

But whatever you decide the make, always keep in mind that 'less is more' counts especially for pizza's: use just a little bit of toppings your pizza's can bake in a couple of minutes. Pizza Hut is a very bad example! (and has nothing to do with pizza's anyway...)

Edited by U235

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...but the question of pizza sauce preparation from available ingredients came up as I ain't got no easy access to any prepared tomato based sauces...but there's plenty of tomatoes, garlic and onions available...

a good thread as I've been holding off tryin' to make pizza because of the persistent sauce problem...the kids really like pizza...

There is no reason why a basic tomato sauce of the passata type cannot be made at home except that the tomatoes are generally lacking in flavour. You could try the method above, which works, though I would suggest roasting them first as this will eek out a little more taste. I've also seen Thai branded tomato powder in Mom and Pop stores. Like the chicken or pork packs often added to soups.