Tip Box at Immigration - Against the law

ThaiCitizen

20 minutes ago, al007 said:

Please, give them a break

Why? They are paid to do their job. On top of that many of them benefit from a lot of under the counter payments for "services rendered". I would be ashamed to expect tips on top of that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daryle said:

Would be good if I could donate, instead of having to deal with visa hassles.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

That is far too sensible for the Thai mindset, what would be more sensible than paying your local immigration office a set fee every 90 days or whatever depending what visas or extensions you are on, instead of risking your life traveling to some border for an in/out stamp.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UTH001 said:

Udon Thani staff openly and strongly ask for a tip when doing 90 days reporting...

This is one instance when it would not be stupid to put something in, for very obvious reasons. If it was me, I would donate a couple of bits of blank paper, they are not going to know who made that contribution.:cheesy:

Edited by possum1931
changed word
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, al007 said:

Please, give them a break

You can quietly ignore it, a box is very different from demanding money

Those of us with any brains who have been here any time at all know how it all works here

And yes I do oil the hinges on my front gates, they work better that way, and also do not squeak, the cost is not lifestyle threatening

Khon Kaen also has a tip box, and thats very ok by me

Personally I would send the moaners and groaners home, it would be a better place without them, and the overall quality of Thai Visa would also improve

"and the overall quality of Thai Visa  would also improve",  

Do you really believe that? All Thai immigration ever do is make it harder as the years go by.

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

And if you don't contribute what is the result?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

"excuse me sir, would you mind putting some money in the tip box"?  "I am not putting any money in your tip box".

Do you really not know what the result would be? They would sure remember you in the future, wouldn't they?

• Like 2

I tried to tip one before the services and he said " no that is illegal ". Then when finished he said ok now you tip if you like. I gave him 200 baht and he held it up and announced that I gave a tip, then they all turned to me and smiled. I tip people here for nearly everything as I know they don't get paid much. I don't fault anybody else for not tipping, it should be your choice.

57 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"and the overall quality of Thai Visa  would also improve",  

Do you really believe that? All Thai immigration ever do is make it harder as the years go by.

I can only speak from my own experience

I am an inpatient man, I do not suffer fools gladly

I keep up to date on immigration requirements, I do my best to give them what they ask for

I do not challenge them about what they say they require

(I do not agree with what they ask for but this is their country not mine)

I dress very smartly as does my wife when we go to immigration

WE ofter run into immigration officials at restaurants, I always smile and buy them a drink

I try to treat them as equals  

I travelled the world on my own 60ft trawler yacht, for 12 yrs,and met immigration officials the world over, and generally they were all far far worse than here in Thailand, in the USA they had some of the rudest and most unfriendly I have ever met

My opinions are my property and I know how immigration upsets many TV people, but I vote very strongly in FAVOR OF THAI IMMIGRATION

I also believe we make some of our luck, yes we need it, but we can influence it

Next time when I am mad at immigration ! I will reread my own post and look carefully in the mirror

Incidentally I do not tip immigration officials, but if they did something beyond their normal duty yes I would

• Like 2