Tip Box at Immigration - Against the law

ThaiCitizen

Its not those kinds of tips they are after - you are all so cynical, all you think about is money. What they are really after is either the winner of the 4.20 at Kempton Park tomorrow or helpful suggestions about running and improving the office.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2017 at 0:27 PM, possum1931 said:

This is a very good story, and I agree with most of it, if not all, but when you say you vote very strongly in FAVOUR OF THAI IMMIGRATION, do you mean the officers personally? If so, I agree with you, but I do not think us expats, get a good deal here in Thailand, not being allowed to own your house is very unfair, and there are too many unnecessary hoops to jump through. Just my opinion.

If expats were allowed to own houses. What do you  think would happen to the price of houses and land in Thailand? Most Thais would no longer be able to afford to buy there own homes.  Thailand is such a small country.  Not even the size of the state of Texas. It wouldn't take long for Thailand to be owned by foreign interest.

Sad I see this thread, has reduced to a slanging match, not uncommon on TV

I wonder in todays world can we have a button to press to remove the negative brigade

Well no , it reminds me how good it is to stay positive

Another beautiful sunny day

3 hours ago, kowpot said:

If expats were allowed to own houses. What do you  think would happen to the price of houses and land in Thailand? Most Thais would no longer be able to afford to buy there own homes.  Thailand is such a small country.  Not even the size of the state of Texas. It wouldn't take long for Thailand to be owned by foreign interest.

I do not agree with that at all, they could restrict the size of the house, and the land, Thailand is similar in size and population to the UK and France, not that small a country.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I do not agree with that at all, they could restrict the size of the house, and the land, Thailand is similar in size and population to the UK and France, not that small a country.

If you think being able to fly from one end of the country north to south   in  90 minutes or less is not a small country,  just what is a small country to you?

20 minutes ago, kowpot said:

If you think being able to fly from one end of the country north to south   in  90 minutes or less is not a small country,  just what is a small country to you?

Too many to mention, ask yourself "what is a large country? America, Australia? Now we are going off topic, but the point is there is no reason for Thailand not to allow non Thais to own their houses, and a small piece of land, just enough to go with the house.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Too many to mention, ask yourself "what is a large country? America, Australia? Now we are going off topic, but the point is there is no reason for Thailand not to allow non Thais to own their houses, and a small piece of land, just enough to go with the house.

Thaksin didn't call his party "Thailand for the Thais" by accident

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/01/2017 at 9:22 AM, UTH001 said:

Udon Thani staff openly and strongly ask for a tip when doing 90 days reporting...

I've only just spotted this topic, owing to someone recently adding a post to it.

Regarding Udon immigration. Yes, over a year ago (about the time of your post) I too was asked by the (then) guy doing 90 day reporting for a tip - by him rattling the box at me.

Extremely rude I felt, but trying to take what I thought was a Thai approach to it, I smiled, lied, and said I didn't have any cash on me as I hadn't yet been to the ATM.

To which the IO responded by saying that even twenty Baht would be OK. I still smiled and said I didn't even have that much on me.

I hasten to add that the IO doing the 90 reporting more recently - Khun Prasit - is not the IO who demanded a tip.

Khun Prasit is the exact opposite - he is polite, speaks good English, very straightforward and helpful, and always smiles.

I hope he stays at Udon immigration. for a long time to come. He's a credit to the service.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 1:14 PM, csabo said:

You are right sir! The words are synonymous. We should flood the box with little folded pieces of paper with hand written "tips" on them. For example: "stop taking money for free services" or "in general do your job with a smile not a scowl" or "news flash: we are not all wanted for crimes in our home country". The "tip" box would be gone before lunch.

Just get a piece of paper and write on it "never eat yellow snow" and fold it up in a 20thb note and drop it in the tip box as you are leaving

• 4 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 9:29 AM, bluesofa said:

I've only just spotted this topic, owing to someone recently adding a post to it.

Regarding Udon immigration. Yes, over a year ago (about the time of your post) I too was asked by the (then) guy doing 90 day reporting for a tip - by him rattling the box at me.

Extremely rude I felt, but trying to take what I thought was a Thai approach to it, I smiled, lied, and said I didn't have any cash on me as I hadn't yet been to the ATM.

To which the IO responded by saying that even twenty Baht would be OK. I still smiled and said I didn't even have that much on me.

I hasten to add that the IO doing the 90 reporting more recently - Khun Prasit - is not the IO who demanded a tip.

Khun Prasit is the exact opposite - he is polite, speaks good English, very straightforward and helpful, and always smiles.

I hope he stays at Udon immigration. for a long time to come. He's a credit to the service.

I have a good friend who has been paying 2000 baht to Udon Than I immigration every 90 days.

He said he was made pay this after losing his temper and refusing to pay a tip of 100 baht.

What would people here recommend he do?

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I have a good friend who has been paying 2000 baht to Udon Than I immigration every 90 days.

He said he was made pay this after losing his temper and refusing to pay a tip of 100 baht.

Don't lose his temper and don't be so gullible?

That's why I lied to the IO saying I hadn't been to the ATM and didn't even had one Baht on me. Refusing point blank won't help.

On 1/16/2017 at 10:35 AM, kowpot said:

If expats were allowed to buy houses, most expats couldn't afford them, either.  They'd be bidding against millions and millions of Chinese, looking for a place to hide their ill gotten gains.  (And a nearby bug-out contingency when SHTF)

Just ask Australia...

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Don't lose his temper and don't be so gullible?

That's why I lied to the IO saying I hadn't been to the ATM and didn't even had one Baht on me. Refusing point blank won't help.

Could be an answer. However, he is being cheated. I wonder who the right people to complain to are.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

If expats were allowed to buy houses, most expats couldn't afford them, either.  They'd be bidding against millions and millions of Chinese, looking for a place to hide their ill gotten gains.  (And a nearby bug-out contingency when SHTF)

Just ask Australia...

The reason the law was implemented in the first place was to stop Japanese buying Bangkok.

Just now, Neeranam said:

Could be an answer. However, he is being cheated. I wonder who the right people to complain to are.

Perhaps dialling 1111 to complain about government services might help?

There's a mobile phone app covering that number as well, but the last time I looked it was only in Thai. It may have changed now.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps dialling 1111 to complain about government services might help?

There's a mobile phone app covering that number as well, but the last time I looked it was only in Thai. It may have changed now.

I am a bilingual complainer :cheesy:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

For 90 reports?  File online or by post, of course. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So did his refusal take the form of demanding change of 100 THB for some service which only cost 1,900 THB like an annual extension (although you state that he has been making these 2,000 THB payments every 90 days)? What I always do these days is to pay for my annual retirement extensions in exact cash to avoid the risk of a similar situation arising.

BTW I spotted a tip box for the first time at Rayong Immigration when I applied for my latest retirement extension there 3 months ago. It seemed to be stuffed full of 100 THB notes, although I was not cajoled into stuffing a further one into it.