Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty in iPhone Stabbing Case

webfact

Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty in iPhone Stabbing Case

By  Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — Police submitted their case Thursday to the prosecutor’s office against two men accused of stabbing a young man to death to steal his iPhone in northern Bangkok earlier this month.

The two suspects, 26-year-old Kittikorn Wikaha, and 25-year-old Supattanachai Chansri, are charged with several offenses, including fatal armed robbery. They face the death penalty if convicted.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/01/12/prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-iphone-stabbing-case/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-12

7 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Do they actually carry out death sentences in Thailand if convicted? 

These two certainly deserve it.

They don't that is why its largely a paper tiger when people talk about the death penalty in Thailand. It just means longer jailtime. 

39 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

There are plenty on death row but I believe none have been carried out for a number of years. Lethal injection is used.

57 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

If the army had gone to arrest these scum the may of been dead by now.people keep knocking this military government but all I can see is they are cleaning up the country that is riddled with crime and corruption.

I agree to an extent, but they are being selective and keeping quiet in some cases.

2 hours ago, The man from udon said:

If the army had gone to arrest these scum the may of been dead by now.people keep knocking this military government but all I can see is they are cleaning up the country that is riddled with crime and corruption.

You're obviously not looking very hard then.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

They don't that is why its largely a paper tiger when people talk about the death penalty in Thailand. It just means longer jailtime. 

Thai style: temporarily suspended from civil life, until are things are completely rugged under the carpet.............

20 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

Obviously they don't have rich parents who can buy their way to freedom.

Well, any random rich-er connection in disguise in their connection circle will do, too, or how would you relate their several past releases from prison?

11 hours ago, Valentine said:

There are plenty on death row but I believe none have been carried out for a number of years. Lethal injection is used.

There were a couple given the death penalty in 2009 and I am fairly sure they were drug offences and their appeal to the King for clemency failed.

it is true that the death penalties have slowed down a great deal but the death penalty is still on the statute books and death sentence  prisoners convicted can be and are executed. Everything is grindingly slow in the Thai court system. The cases, the appeals, the sentences, further appeals etc

Anybody thinking, that those on the ' death row  '  have it easy are mistaken as restrictions are still upon then as prisoners awaiting death such as leg chains 24-7, segregation etc. 

Bang Kwang is tough and conditions are harsh but there again  Klong Prem is no easy option either.

12 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Only 2 in the last ten years...

The likely hood that they would be executed is slim, my thoughts are that in such cases may be there should be a sentence that would not be subject to any blanket reduction in sentence and would be "life means life", no parole, no chance of ever getting out.

5 hours ago, nottocus said:

But what about his human rights?

What about the boy's human rights who he stabbed?

He should cease to have any, the scumbag.

I doubt very much he will be out in a few years as that young victim was from a ' well to do ' family, and  as you all know in Thailand that counts.

The prosecutors are baying for blood, the file has already been sent to them. Many times the Police take the 84 days ( maximum detention allowed without charge)  so that " arrangements and accommodations " can be facilitated. Not so in this case.

This heinous crime has sparked outrage amongst the Bangkok hierarchy, the prosecutors are going to court post haste, so I think words have been whispered in many ears.

Edited by Scouse123
Double quote

On 1/12/2017 at 4:44 PM, robblok said:

Exactly so. It is political PR not a tougher stance on justice.