Rao Tum Dai: Thai could be world's new english, Prayuth says

snoop1130

Rao Tum Dai: Thai could be world's new english, Prayuth says

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

201701111338349-20061002145931-696x469.j

Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha with his standee Wednesday at the Government House in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Thai could supersede English as the dominant world language – at least in the opinion of junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha.

After awarding trophies to youths Thursday at the Government House,  Prayuth gave an address encouraging children to embrace their language, which he assured could one day become the world’s common language.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/01/12/rao-tum-dai-thai-could-be-world-new-english-prayuth-says/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-1-12

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but, "huh!".

English is spoken all over the world as first, second and even third languages.

Thai is spoken in, well, Thailand.

Our illustrious leader has finally lost the plot.

This sort of thinking is anti-intellectual and even somewhat dangerous. False hope, misdirection. Thais are already so late to the game. Such poor command of English.

Look at the energy China is putting into English.  But even the Chinese know despite one billion speakers, it can't be the world's lingua franca. But, 70m Thai many largely uneducated will deliver Thai as the new world language.

This observation is so wrong I bet if Thai kids could study and need only ONE language, it would be English.

Pure folly. Good luck General and good luck getting free military training from US and EU in Thai.

22 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm sorry, but, "huh!".

English is spoken all over the world as first, second and even third languages.

Thai is spoken in, well, Thailand.

Our illustrious leader has finally lost the plot.

What do you mean " finally" .............he never had it to start with, wouldnt know a plot if it  sat in his  lap........comical really but deep down extremely disturbing

Slowly, very slowly, it starts dawning on me that this man actually might be delusional and is in urgent need of a good psycho therapist.

Before Thai has even the slightest chance of becoming the dominant global language, I foresee much higher probabilities for Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Basque, Aafrikans or even Swahili.

What he should have done as a half-way sensible leader was to encourage those kids to strive improving their English language skills. Instead, he flogs the nationalistic Thai-language horse, making those kids believe that all they'll need for successful future careers are 44 Thai letters and 5 tone pitches. Pathetic, really. 

Edited by Misterwhisper
additions

"...Thai could supersede English as the dominant world language – at least in the opinion of junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha..."

Surely, the usual Khaosod English translator is on holidays, and the stand-in doesn't have the same grasp of the language.

But, if this is not the case, then all that is left in Prayut's defence is, - well, you simply can't defend the indefensible. In which case, all one can do is refer to a quote (allegedly attributed to a genuine leader of a country):

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"

As if there was ever any doubt !!!

I'm as biased about English as he is about Thai but being fairly fluent in Spanish and a few other languages to lesser degrees, Thai, which I'm taking classes for now, does strike me as a caveman-esque sort of language.