Chiang Mai UK Honorary Consul Ben Svasti Thomson Named as Point of Light by British PM Teresa May

webfact

Chiang Mai UK Honorary Consul Ben Svasti Thomson Named as Point of Light by British Prime Minister Teresa May

by CityNews

n2-meet-the-consuls.jpg

CityNews – Chiang Mai’s UK Honorary Consul, Ben Svasti Thomson, has been awarded the Point of Light award by British Prime Minister Teresa May, in recognition of his outstanding individual charitable dedication to improving the lives of those in need in Northern Thailand.

Capture.png

Over the last six year, Thomson has been involved and created a range of volunteering and charitable organisations including  ‘Women Against AIDS’ to educate and empower women, ‘the Mother and Child Concern Foundation’ for families affected by HIV/AIDS, ‘Grassroots’ which supports former sex workers into alternative livelihoods and ‘the Anti-Trafficking Coordination Unit’ working with Thai government agencies and civil society groups to fight trafficking and support its victims. Read more about his earlier work in this Citylife article published back in 2012.

British Prime Minister Teresa May said “Your [Ben Svasti Thomson] voluntary work in Northern Thailand has improved the lives of countless people in need – from educating and empowering women in the fight against AIDS, to working with the Thai authorities to combat trafficking. As the UK Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai you are also supporting others to volunteer too.”

Thomson responded graciously by saying “Indeed I am most honoured to receive this award, although it is totally unexpected and had never been on my radar! Of course no one works alone and I must, in turn, thank all those who have provided their support in my charity networks and in the British Embassy Bangkok.”

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/chiang-mai-uk-honorary-consul-ben-svasti-thomson-named-as-point-of-light-by-british-prime-minister-teresa-may/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-01-13

Actually, Ben does quite a lot to help U.K. nationals with they encounter problems in Chiang Mai.  The Social Work dept at Suan Dok hospital has him on their speed dial for when a Brit is admitted, seemingly without family or friends and in need of someone to help him work thru how he will pay the bill and arrange for post-discharge care.  Ben can't pay the bill himself of course, but is instrumental in getting them in touch with family and friends or other sources of assistance and in helping with other details if they are unable to make arrangements for themselves.  

You missed this portion of the article:   “I have worked with refugees, abused women and children, people living with HIV/AIDS, victims of human trafficking and, most recently, British nationals in distress,” he said.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Is this a joke post, or somebody trolling????

Point of light my a..e, old pals act working again.

No, no, just a honest mistake surely. :wink:

I think what they meant is a 'light-pointer' - commonly known as laser-pointer.

Which is ... kind of shabby imho as they go for 40.- THB up at Maesai market ... 

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

Actually, Ben does quite a lot to help U.K. nationals with they encounter problems in Chiang Mai.  The Social Work dept at Suan Dok hospital has him on their speed dial for when a Brit is admitted, seemingly without family or friends and in need of someone to help him work thru how he will pay the bill and arrange for post-discharge care.  Ben can't pay the bill himself of course, but is instrumental in getting them in touch with family and friends or other sources of assistance and in helping with other details if they are unable to make arrangements for themselves.  

You missed this portion of the article:   “I have worked with refugees, abused women and children, people living with HIV/AIDS, victims of human trafficking and, most recently, British nationals in distress,” he said.

yes i did miss it, its not in the thread post but i would assume by you mentioning it, it is the link details.

Good that as Honorary British Console in Chiang Mai Ben has also time to attend to matters involving Brits, very re-assuring.

As usual with things appertaining to  UK Government support for their nationals in Thailand the facts are well hidden apart from the Consular Fees.

Perhaps Ben could use his undoubted abilities to help sort out the Chiang Mai Immigration fiasco, being half Thai as he is.

Edited by davehowden

9 hours ago, richabb1 said:

Congratulations to Ben. 

I have never met Ben, but see no reason to do anything than congratulate him on his award and feel humbled by the amount of work he is doing to help Thai communities and British expatriates and tourists in need.