Military targets 2nd Road parking, pavement woes

Rimmer

Military targets 2nd Road parking, pavement woes

Col. Popanan Luangpanuwat, commander of the National Council for Peace and Order in Banglamung, and Pattaya City Council members walked Second Road from South to Central roads, eyeing changes to parking and pavement.

Col. Popanan Luangpanuwat, commander of the National Council for Peace and Order in Banglamung, and Pattaya City Council members walked Second Road from South to Central roads, eyeing changes to parking and pavement.

PATTAYA:--Having wiped out street vendors on Beach Road, speedboats at Bali Hai and various minor public-land encroachers, the army now is setting its sights on Second Road, eyeing changes to parking and pavement.

Col. Popanan Luangpanuwat, commander of the National Council for Peace and Order in Banglamung, and Pattaya City Council members walked Second Road from South to Central roads Jan. 5, rattling off suggested development ideas to Land Transport Department and police officials.

The most-obvious problem – one well-known to anyone who actually drives Second Road themselves – was the poor condition of the roadway, with its many potholes, unintended speed bumps and misaligned manhole covers.

The military boss also noted that the sois connected to Second Road are sloped, but in the wrong direction, which exacerbates flooding.

Read More: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/military-targets-2nd-road-parking-pavement-woes-161147

PATTAYA MAIL 2017-01-13

43 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Having wiped out street vendors on Beach Road, speedboats at Bali Hai and various minor public-land encroachers

Right or wrong, gotta hand it to them.  They've solved decades old problems nobody else had the juevos to solve.  I wonder if there's any way to get a few other problems on their list: 

Ladyboys with spiked heels and money problems.

Jet ski thugs...

They have not solved the songtau problem.  They are sill making travel on any road they use near impassable as they stop anywhere they want, and often two or sometimes three deep.

And Sukhumvit is still an absolute mess due to the construction.

12 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Ban all the parking of cars and motorbikes on second road and on beach road is the way to go forward.if u need to park u can park at some parking garage and pay for it.

Maybe they should build the parking garages first...

25 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Ban all the parking of cars and motorbikes on second road and on beach road is the way to go forward.if u need to park u can park at some parking garage and pay for it.

Better yet, make the beach road a walking street- no driving, including scooters and bicycles.  They can walk their bikes through that area and spare the pedestrians (they'd learn to avoid it quickly).  Then make all the perpendicular sois "no parking" for a block or two.  Open it all up to traffic for deliveries only during the wee hours.  Then you'd have a pleasant beach area instead of a mess.

27 minutes ago, impulse said:

Better yet, make the beach road a walking street- no driving, including scooters and bicycles.  They can walk their bikes through that area and spare the pedestrians (they'd learn to avoid it quickly).  Then make all the perpendicular sois "no parking" for a block or two.  Open it all up to traffic for deliveries only during the wee hours.  Then you'd have a pleasant beach area instead of a mess.

+ Lightweight tram service around the bay (Thai Airways Office - Lighthouse)

Walking St seaward side buildings to be demolished.

Edited by Enoon

32 minutes ago, impulse said:

You hit the nail on the head.

1 hour ago, WhizBang said:

They have not solved the songtau problem.  They are sill making travel on any road they use near impassable as they stop anywhere they want, and often two or sometimes three deep.

They may not have solved it but the traffic situation in Pattaya has vastly improved since the military got on the job. Thais need someone with a very strong arm overseeing them, and now it seems like they have one. I'm 100% in favour.

As for Sukumvit, traffic problems whilst digging major tunnels are to be expected. The work is nearly finished, on schedule. As far as I can see the work done should improve traffic flow around the top of Klang and towards the motorway significantly.

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

They may not have solved it but the traffic situation in Pattaya has vastly improved since the military got on the job. Thais need someone with a very strong arm overseeing them, and now it seems like they have one. I'm 100% in favour.

As for Sukumvit, traffic problems whilst digging major tunnels are to be expected. The work is nearly finished, on schedule. As far as I can see the work done should improve traffic flow around the top of Klang and towards the motorway significantly.

North bound transit time at rush hours isn't a problem now since they have almost completed the resurfacing and there's a straight-through 'fast lane' that zips one past the bus gridlock at Rubberland, through the (eventual) Klang junction and almost all the way to the Highway 7 exit ramp. Unfortunately, the south bound side is suffering from a really rough surface made worse after the recent rains that still squeezes 4 lanes down to 2 passing SSCC, Nernplubwan and Kaonoi.

But it should all be done by this time next month.

Saw painters refreshing the red and white paint on the curbs just south of Central festival. I hope they refresh all of the yellow and red and white zones; and  get all of the merchant display stands and motorcycles off the pedestrian walkways.

Edited by Banana7

4 hours ago, impulse said:

They've solved decades old problems nobody else had the juevos to solve.

I think your rushing things a bit all I can see is them eyeballing the problem. To use an American term "shovel ready" is a long way off. The Procrastination Patrol is sizing up the matter. Then comes the funding issue. Yes they are decades old problems and why are they decades old?? I think you can answer that now. 

Edited by elgordo38

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

heavily fine any shop owner that thinks about sticking a plastic chair or a badly parked motorbike to block the parking out front of their business.

Its not so much the business blocking the sidewalk with their motorbike its the clientele of the businesses motobikes that block the sidewalk. They don't parallel park but park in a manner where there is about 6 inches to walk between you and the roadway. The BIB have no desire to "come down heavy on the situation" or the situation would go away as would their revenue. The BIB are like surgeons they take a litre of blood from time to time but let the host go to be recaptured another day for another litre. You do not want to kill the golden goose. If they come down heavy and extracted a pound of flesh the golden goose would die because they would realize that the BIB really mean business and they would obey the law. Its an art form. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

I think your rushing things a bit all I can see is them eyeballing the problem. To use an American term "shovel ready" is a long way off. Procrastination is the order of the day. Then comes the funding issue. Yes they are decades old problems and why are they decades old?? I think you can answer that now. 

I was referring to the quoted section: Having wiped out street vendors on Beach Road, speedboats at Bali Hai and various minor public-land encroachers.

They're eyeballing the next step in the photo, true.  But then, Rome wasn't built in a day- and problems that took decades to intertwine themselves into everyday life take a little finesse to unwind without an all out riot.   Easy to throw the baby out with the dirty bathwater.

So far, I'm favorably impressed with the admittedly slow results.  Someone PM me if they start disappearing political foes or pulling out fingernails.  I doubt it'll happen, but it would change my opinion- and my living arrangements.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I was referring to the quoted section: Having wiped out street vendors on Beach Road, speedboats at Bali Hai and various minor public-land encroachers.

They're eyeballing the next step in the photo, true.  But then, Rome wasn't built in a day- and problems that took decades to intertwine themselves into everyday life take a little finesse to unwind without an all out riot.   Easy to throw the baby out with the dirty bathwater.

So far, I'm favorably impressed with the admittedly slow results.  Someone PM me if they start disappearing political foes or pulling out fingernails.  I doubt it'll happen, but it would change my opinion- and my living arrangements.

Sorry I was referring to the road huddle. 

2 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Sorry I was referring to the road huddle. 

You're right there.  They should have done like back home and had at least one guy on the road crew in the photo working a shovel. 

Edited by impulse

Pity the colonel apparently didn't get up to my part of Pattaya Second Road.  In my opinion the sidewalks are in much worse shape than the road.  As I have mentioned before, some sections have no sidewalks at all and other are very narrow--barely 60 centimeters wide.  This is a major, major Pattaya road with lots of tourist and local pedestrians--ridiculous to have to walk in the road. I'm actually happy the road is bumpy--in places it acts to slow the traffic down a bit.  Hope the colonel decides to ban all parking and widen the sidewalks on both sides of the road--and make the sidewalks wide enough for some trees, too.

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

some sections have no sidewalks at all and other are very narrow--barely 60 centimeters wide.  

60 cm wide and not as bumpy as the road?   I think that's considered the scooter taxi path, isn't it?

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Unless they were to build another road (Road 2A) they would have to make 2nd Road two-way or force south bound traffic to use 3rd Road.

Edit In:

Second road is bad enough now, you have to look both ways when crossing, it would be hell if it were made 2Way, you would end up with not only motorbikes using the pavements (sidewalks), but cars, vans, lorries and busses using the pavements too :shock1:

Edited by Basil B

While at it on the Jomtien beach road there also on the shop/restaurant side of the beach road ban all parking of cars bikes then enlarge the sidewalks and ad trees benches.Cars need go to designated parking areas.it will make the trafic flow much better and  the beachroad will have a much more natural look.

13 hours ago, WhizBang said:

The large coaches do the same and block the road and pavements, have to get those Chinese into the Chinese owned shopping centres!

Was thinking the same the other night walking down 2nd to get to The Walking St, does every square metre have to be occupied by T-Shirt and other junk sellers!

13 hours ago, impulse said:

60 cm wide and not as bumpy as the road?   I think that's considered the scooter taxi path, isn't it?

I guess the saving grace is the sidewalks in that area are so narrow it's difficult for a motorcycle to ride on them--plus all the taxis parked illegally with their doors open blocking the sidewalk.

<deleted>.......and what about the markets along South Pattaya Road? 

And what about the market near the junction 2nd Road and Central Road.

Nah, instead they're bothered with parking along 2nd Road......bye bye taxi-meters, motorbike taxis.....!

Why not shut down all entrances to Pattaya, North, Klaang and Tai and make it one big vehicle-free area......just like DreamWorld where electric powered songtaews will tour tourists around?