Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

21 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

When I pay to enter a national park it goes to the national park and enables them to run the park without increasing fees for Thais, that is directly subsidising the poor.

Including the Dr in the Merc in your rear view mirror who pays THB 20 to your 400?

Give your head a wobble!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Of course it's still racist (I'd use a less emotive term maybe opportunism), just aimed at a wider group, although it doesn't really bother me. For the small vendors looking to support a family on a pittance and knowing it's going to support the local community rather than a big national/ multinational means an extra 50/ 100 baht here or there makes little difference to me. I try to use small local shops to some degree for this reason. They are accepting me in their community, and it's a small price to pay.
If I need to make a bigger purchase, I suss it out first and then send my wife or friend on their own.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You think it is still racist to charge tourists less in Japan and Switzerland?  Why, it has nothing to do with race, much like the case of Thailand, it is all about nationality.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Including the Dr in the Merc in your rear view mirror who pays THB 20 to your 400?

Give your head a wobble!

It is just a feasible way to do it, on a case by case basis would not be, was that really too difficult to work out all on your own?

22 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Lived here for 30 years, never once been asked to pay a different price than the locals. If you smile, treat them with respect, and wear a clean collared shirt at all times, they will treat you as one of their own.  

;-)

Where I like to go the clean collared shirt would be your downfall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shawn0000 said:

It is just a feasible way to do it, on a case by case basis would not be, was that really too difficult to work out all on your own?

Give your head another wobble & look up the word 'banter'.

Why are you such an apologist re all things Thai?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Give your head another wobble & look up the word 'banter'.

Why are you such an apologist re all things Thai?

I am not, what makes you think you would know whether I was or not based on my views surrounding one single issue?

40 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Lived here for 30 years, never once been asked to pay a different price than the locals. If you smile, treat them with respect, and wear a clean collared shirt at all times, they will treat you as one of their own.  

;-)

I have not lived in Thailand quite as long as you and conduct/dress myself in a respectable manner but still get charged at institutional sites at the non-Thai rate.  Please tell us how you have done it?  I have seen only a few collared shirts in the village I live. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I am not, what makes you think you would know whether I was or not based on my views surrounding one single issue?

Because in half a dozen or more threads this week you've locked in like a rugby prop & always for the home side...

They on the other hand wouldn't p*ss on you if you were on fire!

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Because in half a dozen or more threads this week you've locked in like a rugby prop & always for the home side...

They on the other hand wouldn't p*ss on you if you were on fire!

What is your connection to Thailand and why on earth do you have one if your outlook is so overtly negative?  What a bizarre person you are!

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:48 PM, Oxx said:

Of course, the government leads the way with dual pricing for tourist attractions.  The little people (and some not so little people) are only following their government's glorious example.

When my wife and step daughter first arrived in the UK we, of course, visited all the usual attractions; some government owned, some private.

Of course some, such as many museums, are free; but where we had to pay, such as the Tower of London, my wife was amazed that I had to pay the same admission price as her.

She said "It's your country, your culture. Why do you have to pay the same as me, a foreigner?"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

When my wife and step daughter first arrived in the UK we, of course, visited all the usual attractions; some government owned, some private.

Of course some, such as many museums, are free; but where we had to pay, such as the Tower of London, my wife was amazed that I had to pay the same admission price as her.

She said "It's your country, your culture. Why do you have to pay the same as me, a foreigner?"

That's kind of bitter-sweet.  "I want you all to go to your window now and shout at the top of your voice I'm A Human Being Goddammit, and I'm not going to take it anymore".

On 1/13/2017 at 6:42 PM, fruitman said:

Also the westerners who have been in Thailand liked that soooo much that they all go elsewhere now for holidays....

Well, if they open their eyes they will probably be dual-priced wherever else they go for vacation. Two- or even multi-tier pricing is common throughout the developing world.  It seems locals the world over think that way, "Why should the rich foreigner not pay extra for his goods?"

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, ezflip said:

Anyone who says that foreigner should pay more since they have more money is basically saying that it is ok to scam people.

Since when is it ever ok to scam people? Be it 10 baht or 100 baht or 1000baht... a scam is a scam.

Better to walk away and give your business to honest people.

If it was purely an economic misconception that farangs have more money why does the Thai driving the brand new Mercedes pay less than the farang tourist when entering Khao Kheow or Safari World?

• Like 1

I asked a question regarding Switzerland and Japan, your answer began with "of course it is still racist".

Maybe was not clear when I bracketed opportunism. If I had to survive for a day on the price of a few of bottles of beer I'm pretty sure I would be opportunistic, which to some could be classed as racist. Different argument of course for some of the bigger organisations, but they tend to have single non negotiable pricing anyway. Always worth a haggle anyway.

• Like 1

They'd do it to the rich Thais too if they could.

Unfortunately they can't as they know they'd be beaten to death and the rich Thai that did it would never be charged. 

they can do it to farang as farang can't do anything about it other than get all pissy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

What is your connection to Thailand and why on earth do you have one if your outlook is so overtly negative?  What a bizarre person you are!

Negative? I love it here and am as happy as a pig in sh*t :)

Edited by evadgib

13 minutes ago, stevemac said:

I find the same mix as back home in uk, some who'll rip you off at every opportunity and some who would give really generously. If they can't give anything else they'll give their time. When I had my housewarming they provided all of the food except the expensive meat and fish, plus their time and effort. All the seating, shelter, singers dancers and dj were paid for by different people in the village.
The saying you reap what you sow comes to mind.
Been in the same village for over 10 years now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Me too. My wife is an absolute saint and our day to day life very enjoyable. 16 years and not a single argument. For 3 years I thought I'd gone deaf! :)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If it was purely an economic misconception that farangs have more money why does the Thai driving the brand new Mercedes pay less than the farang tourist when entering Khao Kheow or Safari World?

They don't, they are Thai, they put more than the foreigner price in the donations box.