Ten university students ‘involved in more police entrance exam cheating’

rooster59

Ten university students ‘involved in more police entrance exam cheating’

By KITTIPONG MANEERIT
THE SUNDAY NATION

MORE cases of alleged cheating in the police entrance exam were found at Provincial Police Region 1 with at least 10 university students involved, Provincial Police Region 1 chief Lt-General Charnthep Sesawet revealed yesterday.

The alleged cheating was found to have used the same method as previous cases at the Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) and Provincial Police Region 7– with university students who took the test allegedly showing the correct answers to other applicants |for a fee, Charnthep said.

The investigation was ongoing, Charnthep said, and his office would submit a report on its |findings to the Royal Thai Police tomorrow.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304135

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-15

Frankly, I'm surprise that they're surprise at the level of cheating that is

going on, why study when you can buy the answers? and as they start their

law enforcement career as a cheater, what kind of a policeman they will

turn out to be?......

The exams are there to maintain the facade of meritocracy, but since many positions are paid for and arranged in advance, they're probably seen as an unnecessary inconvenience by both departments and applicants. This is the root of the problem, but it seems like these investigations are only going to scratch the surface.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

They are going to pass a report to the RTP on monday  :cheesy:

That will be a total waste of time, sending a report about corruption to the most corrupt organisation in the country.

Surely doing that will be a big waste of time.

Not necessarily. I suspect the report will be more about how they got caught and why they got caught and will most likely give recommendations on how not to get caught in the future.

1 hour ago, debate101 said:

The exams are there to maintain the facade of meritocracy, but since many positions are paid for and arranged in advance, they're probably seen as an unnecessary inconvenience by both departments and applicants. This is the root of the problem, but it seems like these investigations are only going to scratch the surface.

I am sure that is part of it. That's top down view. I prefer the bottom up pov which is Thais just do not know independent, self directed learning. They are traumatised having to produce their own work and even at university level they emerge from 15 years of copying and synthesising knowledge pieces none of which as any definite origins or ownership. Basic values of autonomous learning, resilience and pride in self discovery needs to be put back into education. To me that speaks to a host of broader issues. 

Edited by optad

Lots being made of action against the 'cheats' i.e. those university students. But perhaps unsurprisingly nothing about the other benificaries and paymasters behind the cheatera action. Those police who paid for the services of the students and are more to blame than the students. I wonder if those police remember the oath they swore to king, crown and country as they handed over their money. These are the people who need public shaming punishment. 

"...The alleged cheating was found to have used the same method as previous cases at the Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) and Provincial Police Region 7..."

Citing the bleedin' obvious - why change something that has been the modus operandi for "assisted" entry into the RTP since Chakthip was a dek noi ???

Whatever could have possessed these guys to do this (he asks rhetorically).

cheating.png

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Frankly, I'm surprise that they're surprise at the level of cheating that is

going on, why study when you can buy the answers? and as they start their

law enforcement career as a cheater, what kind of a policeman they will

turn out to be?......

The same as the ones we've got already.

4 hours ago, optad said:

I am sure that is part of it. That's top down view. I prefer the bottom up pov which is Thais just do not know independent, self directed learning. They are traumatised having to produce their own work and even at university level they emerge from 15 years of copying and synthesising knowledge pieces none of which as any definite origins or ownership. Basic values of autonomous learning, resilience and pride in self discovery needs to be put back into education. To me that speaks to a host of broader issues. 

Okay, then who is going to put them "back" into education? Do you have information that they were ever there in the first place? Seems to me like the global economic competition would motivate people to want to develop these skills and that schools would respond to this public demand by adjusting their teaching methodology and objectives, but since there is no public control now over local or national government, and therefore local or national education, it isn't going to happen.

The elites are going to ring their hands and go on and on about "Thailand 4.0" and critical thinking, but it will continue to be mainly the ones who can afford to study abroad or at high-end international schools that are actually able to achieve this shift in perspective (and only some will). We'll have a few top students take home awards at international robotics or science competitions to cover up for the vast shortcomings of the education of the rest, and that will be that.

Edited by debate101

I hated doing exams at school.  If I didn't get 95/100 or better it used to affect me deeply.  I would be withdrawn and sullen for days after getting the results.  I am guessing Thai students suffer the same way!  :saai: