SURVEY: Death Penalty -- Good or Bad?

Scott

SURVEY: Do You Believe the Use of the Death Penalty is Warranted?  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some may remember a vid posted here of a guy who probably didn't know he was on CCTV talking sin sot with a bird....He wasn't happy with the demand and pulled out a 9mm and shot the bird in the head, dead,  then shot the mother and danced down the street....Yes he was captured on film.......This is 100% proof of murder..The guy should be sent to have a word with his maker...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The death penalty was in North America any way in Canada in the 50's and part of the 60's than the prison cells began to get crowded.

Any how if a mistake is made so be it it will be two for one.

Hanging sholud be brought back none of that injection solution it is too soft not to forget a killer is like a beast he deserve to be rid off as a beast.

I am a staunch conservative (US) voted no this is one area I differ from most on our side of the aisle.

The death penalty has not proved to be a deterrent, has led to many mistaken executions and travesties of justice, is not applied fairly and puts US in the same league with tyrannies like China, Iran, Saudi,etc.  

I believe death is "justified" in many cases but it just is not working out.

Edited by Dipterocarp

3 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

I am a staunch conservative (US) voted no this is one area I differ from most on our side of the aisle.

The death penalty has not proved to be a deterrent, has led to many mistaken executions and travesties of justice, is not applied fairly and puts US in the same league with tyrannies like China, Iran, Saudi,etc.  

I believe death is "justified" in many cases but it just is not working out.

For individual cases it is...Plus the family of those taken can rest...

Yeah, Dylann Roof. Premeditated mass murder pretending to be a worshipper. No remorse, no question of guilt. Execution won't bring back his victims (some family members don't even want execution). Just make him a martyr to the scum sucking KKK types in US and around the world what is probably what he wants

I say life  in a concrete cell on nutraloaf only recreation allowed should be digging ditches/rock breaking.

Edited by Dipterocarp

3 hours ago, ThaidaGwaii said:

People get framed with so called "total proof".  There is no such thing.

So the Yorkshire ripper is not 100% guilty?? Myra Hindley and Ian Brady are not 100%guilty??? Charles Manson  is not 100%guilty. Of course in some cases there is total proof. Time to wake up. 

Having said that I do not belive in the death penalty.

3 hours ago, gintis0604 said:

Countries with a justice like Thailand should of course not have death penalty. 

But in Thailand like most laws, the death penalty is given but not enforced. 2 executed in 2009 and prior to that was 2003 (which is believed to test the 'new' lethal injection).

There are some 350 people on death row!!

4 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Allow me to add that even ignoring ethical considerations, it is proven that the capital punishment is not a deterrent. Further, there are cases where the court is wrong in its verdict and this comes to light. How can one correct the wrong? The innocent person is dead!

I would think it is a deterrent for sane people but not for those who are mentally unbalanced/disturbed.

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Every questions cannot be answered simply  by yes or no. 

My main problem is the possible miscarriage of justice, what a nightmare. 

Yes, exactly. Too many people are convicted of crimes and are later found to be innocent. And I'm talking about in western countries where there at least exists the possibility that a conviction might be overturned.

In some countries that routinely use the death penalty, there's probably an even greater number of people wrongly incarcerated either due to incompetence or corruption.

2 hours ago, Jiminy Cricket said:

When a soul loses its human body prematurely, as in the case of execution, it does not progress beyond the first range of conscious beyond the physical, but is reborn into another human body  bringing with it its exact same emotional and mental characteristics.  So the same brute is back on earth. 

oh dear................how  long have you had this  problem?

5 hours ago, Altalake said:

Ny dad and g'dad were both judges. When I was a kid I asked them both What if an innocent man/woman was executed. Their answer was that the police (in the UK I stress) very seldom prosecute an "innocent" person. So tho' he or she might not be guilty of that particular crime, he or she was guilty of something else.

I am not sure of that nowadays. But with DNA......????

I am sure you all know that to execute someone in e.g. the USA costs much more than a life sentence in gaol when all is said and done. 

As an overburdened taxpayer I guess I would come down on the side of the death penalty. I am not my brothers keeper. An eye for an eye comes to mind and looking at Christianity record in the past maybe my definition of death is not so bad after all. Europe and a lot of the world ran red in blood trying to bring Christianity to the masses. The masses of course fought back and increased the carnage. Everything has a price I guess.

The death penalty debate will go on, no matter what we say here. In the US, about 60% of the states have the death penalty. In those states the appeal system for death row inmates can last a lifetime; only when every possible appeal has been denied do they execute them. Still innocent people are executed.

Deal with it; if more people wanted to do away with the death penalty, it might be done. 

16 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Every questions cannot be answered simply  by yes or no. 

My main problem is the possible miscarriage of justice, what a nightmare. 

THIS is true!!  And police, investigators and prosecutors who fail in their duties to carry out a completely fair and IMPARTIAL, non-prejudicial investigation and prosecution, and to follow-up on exculpatory leads and share exculpatory evidence (as is already required) should be SEVERELY punished (NOT with a mere reprimand or dismissal!).  In the US, police are strongly incentivized to get their "collars", and prosecutors their convictions regardless.  It's NOT a reason to abolish the death penalty; it IS a reason to get a death grip on those whose duties involve justice rather than convictions.  (And the abuse happens not just at the capital crime level; look up "civil forfeiture" to see how LE more frequently abuses its role.)

But the poll shows that a clear majority "get it" as far as the death penalty is concerned. 'A very good thing.

Edited by hawker9000

There is NO way of ever establishing that the death penalty is not a deterrent to people committing capital crime, just as there is NO way of ever establishing that it is a deterrent, and neither proposition has ever been proven, except, perhaps, in the minds of those who take a strong position.

That murders continue to occur is not proof of anything.  

Without capital punishment, murders may increase, or may not.

With capital punishment, murders may decrease, or may not.

Comparing statistics between countries that do have capital punishment with countries that do not is not valid, with too many variables in the mix, class distinction, economic conditions, gun ownership, drug trade, and dozens more.

Adding to the confusion is that capital crimes are increasing in many/most countries, but that's largely due to population increases.  

We will never know whether it is, or is not, a deterrent......ever!

That is, of course, unless people come forward and say that they committed a murder because they knew they weren't going to be executed, or that they didn't commit a murder because they knew they would be executed, and that's never going to happen.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I don't have any problem with police/army shooting to kill terrorists caught in the act or when fired upon/threatened with a firearm. What I have a problem with, is taking an unarmed person, keeping them shackled and locked up sometimes for years, then taking them by force, still shackled to an execution chamber and cold bloodedly killed. Awful.

12 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

I don't have any problem with police/army shooting to kill terrorists caught in the act or when fired upon/threatened with a firearm. What I have a problem with, is taking an unarmed person, keeping them shackled and locked up sometimes for years, then taking them by force, still shackled to an execution chamber and cold bloodedly killed. Awful.

As stated I'm against the death penalty however.

If said person had raped and killed your wife would you feel the same way. I know I wouldn't.  

20 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Allow me to add that even ignoring ethical considerations, it is proven that the capital punishment is not a deterrent. Further, there are cases where the court is wrong in its verdict and this comes to light. How can one correct the wrong? The innocent person is dead!

Well it sure does stop re-offending by that offender.   :-)

29 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

As stated I'm against the death penalty however.

If said person had raped and killed your wife would you feel the same way. I know I wouldn't.  

That would be revenge. Not to be confused with justice. 

Nothing wrong with wanting revenge.

21 hours ago, petermik said:

Try telling that to a family that has had their young daughter/son brutally sexually assaulted and murdered to satisfy someones sick lust........there have been numerous cases where the evidence is overwhelming and even the perpetrator  has admitted guilt....HANG them I say :sad:

The feelings of the victim or victim's family do not come into it. We have developed rigorous legal procedures/rules ('innocent until proven guilty', unanimity among jurors, etc.) over the centuries to ensure that justice ('blind') is as objective as possible. It's impossible for victims and their families to be objective. Victim impact statements have their place in gauging the severity and effect of a crime, but that's as far as it should go.    

For serious crimes such as mass murder, repeated cases of rape, child abuse and such like, and provided there is no doubt the person did the crime, then I am in total agreement with the death sentence.

However, knowing how crazy countries are getting theses days some places will probably start imposing it for political crimes, racism, homophobic, discrimination against different religions etc, and there is no super world power to put this in check.

1 hour ago, Tallviking said:

Which is more "humane"

Putting somone at "Bangkok Hilton" for life with no possibilities of parrol och executing them after the court verdict ?

A bullet only cost about 100 baht, imprisonment for life costs?????  Hundreds of Thousands of Baht?????

The death penalty in Thailand Ha ha What about the lady who was put on death row and let out on bail next day Bet she is not in Thailand any more I have never seen in my whole entire life somebody put on death row and get bail next day Oh this is better than watching watching a good comedy