SURVEY: Death Penalty -- Good or Bad?

Scott

SURVEY: Do You Believe the Use of the Death Penalty is Warranted?  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, transam said:

So you think humans are different to other creatures on our planet, why is that, or your thoughts....?

You've answered your own question. We are different precisely because we can conceptualise how we are different to other creatures and articulate those differences

2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

You've answered your own question. We are different precisely because we can conceptualise how we are different to other creatures and articulate those differences

But it seems humans are very different....We have humans tying folks hands behind their back and sawing their heads off with a knife on mass, because of what.....?..

9 minutes ago, transam said:

But it seems humans are very different....We have humans tying folks hands behind their back and sawing their heads off with a knife on mass, because of what.....?..

"on mass"? What does that mean? Is this a reference to religion (also a peculiarly human endeavor)?

3 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

"on mass"? What does that mean? Is this a reference to religion (also a peculiarly human endeavor)?

Do you want a video, do you want to see humans killing humans cos they ain't got a beard or smoke a fag....It's different humans doing THEIR human stuff.....

with DNA and absolute guilt established trash such as child rapists is a no-brainer for me and I'd happily pull the trigger

BTW for those who say 'it is not a deterrent' I don't care - they deserve it - it's that plain and simple and takes out another piece of garbage that could, potentially, rape another child etc.

Edited by LannaGuy

8 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Until you have a completely reliable judicial system, the death penalty must be off the table.

I'd suggest you read up on John Christie.

They hung the wrong man for murders he committed.

this is such a SORE subject for which i agree with,BUT HOW CAN YOU TRUST THIS COUNTRY.

so i am with CHICOG on this.

On 15/01/2017 at 1:47 PM, otherstuff1957 said:

I have no philosophical objection to the death penalty, but I voted no because justice systems are imperfect and I would rather see 100 criminals who deserve the death penalty live, rather than one innocent person die.

On 15/01/2017 at 2:12 PM, Jiminy Cricket said:

When a soul loses its human body prematurely, as in the case of execution, it does not progress beyond the first range of conscious beyond the physical, but is reborn into another human body  bringing with it its exact same emotional and mental characteristics.  So the same brute is back on earth. 

Absolute rubbish.

On 1/15/2017 at 0:43 PM, ThaidaGwaii said:

I disagree with the death penalty.  Just like war, it gives the impression, the righteous justification, that killing human beings is OK.  It is not.  Buddha said so, Jesus said so, and many other great spiritual world leaders.  I think Thai people need to ask themselves, considering it is a "buddhist" country, why life is regarded to be so insignificant in their culture.  Looking at the amount of murders, people killed on the road, deadly accident and the list goes on, why it is just so normal in their culture.  It sure isn't in mine, Canada, and we also do not have the death penalty.  Then you have the way Thai people kill every animal roaming free, including their neighbor's dog sometimes, shows clearly how in a bad state Thailand is theses days regarding the value of all life.
The justice system is known everywhere to be potentially corrupt, often makes judicial mistakes and even have cases of people being framed by the government.  Many innocent people have been in jail, some on death row.
And for the people who actually have killed someone, the penalty should equal the circumstances.  But ultimately, everyone should have the opportunity for redemption, pay their debt to society, fix their karma before they die.  There will be plenty of reckoning after they die!

Buddha said that thinking of, or agreeing to bad actions, like killing human, stealing, greed and anger for example, is equally as bad as actually doing it for your soul.  So for the people who agrees in the death penalty, you have work to do...

Quite an in depth answer. I think living on the planet is not a right but a privilege. We should not harm our fellow man or be a burden to him. Once we become a burden forfeiture should be in order. Taking a life is a serious thing yet many do it over and over again with no remorse. Do they deserve a seat at the table? hmm. 

On 15/01/2017 at 0:15 PM, possum1931 said:

The death penalty is only justified if guilt is 100% certain, you cannot execute anybody because the prosecuting lawyer is a lot better and experienced than the defence lawyer, is there any way that any court can be 100% certain of an alleged killers guilt? If a terrorist is caught in the act by more than one person, or by someones DNA, is that 100% certain of guilt? If it is then I say yes, execute them.

I agree  with  you on this one.  So many people  that where not guilty  have been executed.   Saying sorry doesn't  cut it! 

Execution is  justified ONLY when the perpetrator is a killer that is caught red-handed IMO.

Martin Bryant ( Tasmania ) or  Anders Breivik ( Norway )  will always be broken machines costing everyone as long as they live...

The dead penalty is not good for two reasons:

1- Just a short time ago you could read about a man who was on deadrow for 25y and now found to be innocent. Ok he lost many years but still can have some time to try to have some great years with his head up high. 

2- it's an easy way out for the murderer if been excecuted quickly. The family and friends Always get life sentence.

So better to trow them in a pit, feed them now and then and make sure they will be reminded about their crime their whole life.

As humans we are not master upon life and death. Therefore we should not put ourselfs in a position pretending that we are. Please accept the omission of any details about costs of imprisonment or on the other hand the cruelty in the procedure of the death penalty in the discussion. If humans make themselves master upon life or death or trust in their ability to judge over the life and death of another human they are overestimating themselves, which makes them susceptible for fallacy. - The only situation that may justify the killing is urgent self defence. If there are alternative possibilities of self defense, like imprisonment, humans are better of in protecting themselves either way from the malness of the perpertator and their own defiency. Don´t let yourself get trapped in the crime by imitating it´s evilness.

On 15/1/2017 at 7:54 AM, snowgard said:

It give a lot of cases where it is 100% clear. Like the last iphone murder in BKK. And for clear cases like this DEATH PENALTY!!!
And done it in the next days and not after 20 years.

And what if the person is found to be insane and therefore not guilty?

On 15/01/2017 at 0:24 PM, petermik said:

Try telling that to a family that has had their young daughter/son brutally sexually assaulted and murdered to satisfy someones sick lust........there have been numerous cases where the evidence is overwhelming and even the perpetrator  has admitted guilt....HANG them I say :sad:

and if guilt is established  beyond all doubt and especially if premeditated there is no just cause why the death sentence should not be imposed . Can you imagine the torture for the parents of their much loved murdered child , who suffered the crime as described above , having to sit through a court case and hearing all the horrid details . It will change the  lives of many people ,its not just about the deceased . 

I would give the opportunity to the parents to carry out the execution , or even better , leave them in a cell with him alone prior to the execution with the odds in their favour . An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth .

Why the do gooders want to keep murderers alive and pay big prison bills for the rest of their lives is difficult to understand .

2 hours ago, humqdpf said:

And what if the person is found to be insane and therefore not guilty?

I would give a shit on it!!! Him murdered someone, so him get what him ask for!!! Insane or not, is this a excuse for you?

Who will be his next victim? A prisoner, a guard, a nurse, ...??? Death penalty and everyone is save about him. And him not cost a lot of money from the taxpayers.

Edited by snowgard