Requirements for visa exemption extension?

Hi everyone,

My visa exemption is valid until Jan 21st. That's the stamp date. I would like to extend it by paying. What are the most recent requirements? Do I need a onward ticket? I have a ticket but it won't be within 30 days, more like 35 days (long story). I also have another ticket which I won't be using due to change of plans but that's on Jan 20th so it would be ridiculous to show that I guess. Also, where should I go in Bangkok to apply for that?

PS: This is my first time in Thailand so first visa exemption and first visa extension.

Thanks a lot in advance!

There are no special requirements. You just need your passport and 1,900 baht. The good thing about applying in Bangkok is that they should not hassle you about TM-30 forms (should you not be staying in a hotel, technically they are needed). They may have you fill out the ridiculous foreigner information form (just put N/A anywhere you do not want to share that information if they do).

You need to go to Chaeng Wattana immigration office.. Usually, you can avoid the necessity to queue up for the extension by making an appointment online (http://extranet.immigration.go.th/pibics/online/queue/EXTAction.do?cmd=term) but the supporting system is down, and I understand has been for a while.

There are no special requirements. You just need your passport and 1,900 baht. The good thing about applying in Bangkok is that they should not hassle you about TM-30 forms (should you not be staying in a hotel, technically they are needed). They may have you fill out the ridiculous foreigner information form (just put N/A anywhere you do not want to share that information if they do).

You need to go to Chaeng Wattana immigration office.. Usually, you can avoid the necessity to queue up for the extension by making an appointment online (http://extranet.immigration.go.th/pibics/online/queue/EXTAction.do?cmd=term) but the supporting system is down, and I understand has been for a while.

Thank you very much! What about photos? Do they take photos there? Or where should I get anywhere else?

16 minutes ago, abcc9 said:

Thank you very much! What about photos? Do they take photos there? Or where should I get anywhere else?

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned that. You need one photo that is attached to the form you complete. You might also need a photo for the ruddy foreigner information form. You can get photos done at the complex there, but I always keep a bunch of photos handy in my wallet (the reason I did not think to mention them in my earlier post).

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned that. You need one photo that is attached to the form you complete. You might also need a photo for the ruddy foreigner information form. You can get photos done at the complex there, but I always keep a bunch of photos handy in my wallet (the reason I did not think to mention them in my earlier post).

Thank you very much again. It's a nice tip. I'll do the same

Photo, Completed extension form, Passport, copies of PP, 1900 Baht

If your flight is after the 30 days you can apply for another 7 days extension, this will be refused but they give you 7 days to leave the country, sounds serious but is not and better than being on a overstay, same process and cost as getting your 30 days

Edited by darrendsd

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

They have not had online appointments for extensions  in Bangkok for several years. The only appointments possible is for re-entry permits and it is down at this time.

just to clarify copies of passport since it is your first time.  you need a copy of the picture page, the page with the entry stamp, and the arrival card (TM6 form).  i usually put the entry stamp page and arrival card on the same page/copy.

chaeng wattana is a large complex.  you can find 7-11, banks, restaurants, etc.. on the floor below the immigration office.  you will get a queue number and you will see what number they are working with when you arrive.  they typically handle 10-15 numbers per hour.  if you are 70 and they are on 30, you have some time to walk around, etc...  you don't have to sit and wait in the area in front of the desk that will be helping you (area J or K, one does extension for visa exempt entry and the other for tourist visa, can't remember which is which but right next to each other).  it is best to arrive in the morning and hope you get processed before the lunch break around 12:00.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Photo, Completed extension form, Passport, copies of PP, 1900 Baht

If your flight is after the 30 days you can apply for another 7 days extension, this will be refused but they give you 7 days to leave the country, sounds serious but is not and better than being on a overstay, same process and cost as getting your 30 days

Thank you very much. I wasn't planning overstaying. I was considering 7 days extension or if I like to stay more, I would go to a neighbor country before extension expires and apply for a tourist visa (this way my return will be burnt I know) since I don't want to deal with extension again in 30 days.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They have not had online appointments for extensions  in Bangkok for several years. The only appointments possible is for re-entry permits and it is down at this time.

Thanks for the warning. I don't mind wasting even a whole day there as long as I get my extension.

6 hours ago, buick said:

just to clarify copies of passport since it is your first time.  you need a copy of the picture page, the page with the entry stamp, and the arrival card (TM6 form).  i usually put the entry stamp page and arrival card on the same page/copy.

chaeng wattana is a large complex.  you can find 7-11, banks, restaurants, etc.. on the floor below the immigration office.  you will get a queue number and you will see what number they are working with when you arrive.  they typically handle 10-15 numbers per hour.  if you are 70 and they are on 30, you have some time to walk around, etc...  you don't have to sit and wait in the area in front of the desk that will be helping you (area J or K, one does extension for visa exempt entry and the other for tourist visa, can't remember which is which but right next to each other).  it is best to arrive in the morning and hope you get processed before the lunch break around 12:00.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. It's really helpful since I don't know anything about the extension process. By the way, you said "arrival card" but I only have departure card since the officer took the arrival card. Did you write it wrong or do I need to do something about it?

sorry, it is 'departure card'.  none of us can give a fully accurate/detailed post these days !!!

when you enter the immigration office, you will see a counter on your right.  just walk by that counter through the next door.  that is where you will see the line for getting your number.  some people get in line at the first counter and that is really just for questions or getting a form that they forgot.

Edited by buick

sorry, it is 'departure card'.  none of us can give a fully accurate/detailed post these days !!!

when you enter the immigration office, you will see a counter on your right.  just walk by that counter through the next door.  that is where you will see the line for getting your number.  some people get in line at the first counter and that is really just for questions or getting a form that they forgot.

No problem at all and thank you very much, really! I'll be there at 1 PM and hopefully get it done today.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 year later...

My visa exempt stamp shows that it expires on 6 March. I can't make it to cheng wattana on Monday 5 March.

Can I still get the extension done on the last day?

If not I will take a flight to KL on Sunday.

Looking at my application form for a 60 day extension to my marriage visa, it asks for reason for application. Is it sufficient to say to be here 2 more month, or do I need to be more specific?

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mosha said:

Looking at my application form for a 60 day extension to my marriage visa, it asks for reason for application. Is it sufficient to say to be here 2 more month, or do I need to be more specific?

To visit your Thai wife since that is what the police order calls it.

• Like 1

I have my extension, but may be a silly question. Current visa finishes on the 7th. Do I now ignore that date, and just leave when the 60 days are up in May?

33 minutes ago, Mosha said:

Do I now ignore that date, and just leave when the 60 days are up in May?

That is when you will need to leave.

Your visas expiration date means nothing once your are in the country.

That is when you will need to leave.
Your visas expiration date means nothing once your are in the country.
Thanks, Mrs talked to the officer and I thought she was asking when I heard Burma. Stressful day, it was hot and the computers went down.

• 10 months later...

Whats the latest info regards the 30 Visa exempt extension,

Can i just go to the office in Jomtien and extend the visa exempt stamp for 1900b?

Live mainly in Cambodia now but finding myself spending more and more time in Thailand again now so thinking about moving back, so trying it out for a couple of months (already here), will be getting a ED Visa if i decide to stay longer

UK passport