Can you get blood tests done at the small clinics?

Hal65

I recently changed my diet and just want to check to make sure that I'm not nutrient deficient anywhere. Can those small clinics do the appropriate blood tests, or do I need to shell out more money at a hospital?

I'm in Pattaya by the way.

23 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

You can have them done at any clinic but most of them don't have the proper equipment to do the test so they will send it to the hospital anyway. 

The above clinic, at least for the tests I have done, does it in-house. Have a sample of blood/urine taken in the afternoon and my results are emailed to me before 8 pm. Check out the 500 baht package #4 which is very good value - kidney & liver function, CBC, lipid profile (LDL, HDL, total cholesterol, triglyceride), blood pressure/pulse, blood group AND urine analysis. That's hard to beat. If you want total and direct bilirubin, that's an extra 220 baht.

I've used a number of different clinics here, and hospitals too. This is the best of them that I've come across. I like Pattaya Lab in Naklua too, which also has some good packages, but it's too far if you live in the South of Pattaya and you need the samples in by 11 am. It doesn't matter about the time at LifeCare.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

In BKK all the small clinics send the blood to the same laboratory. It took me a while to find that out and I went straight to that laboratory it was unusual for them and they prefer to work with the clinics. So from that time on i just went to a local clinic and let the test done there and get results the next day. 

11 hours ago, tropo said:

The above clinic, at least for the tests I have done, does it in-house. Have a sample of blood/urine taken in the afternoon and my results are emailed to me before 8 pm. Check out the 500 baht package #4 which is very good value - kidney & liver function, CBC, lipid profile (LDL, HDL, total cholesterol, triglyceride), blood pressure/pulse, blood group AND urine analysis. That's hard to beat. If you want total and direct bilirubin, that's an extra 220 baht.

I've used a number of different clinics here, and hospitals too. This is the best of them that I've come across. I like Pattaya Lab in Naklua too, which also has some good packages, but it's too far if you live in the South of Pattaya and you need the samples in by 11 am. It doesn't matter about the time at LifeCare.

you get what you pay for. obviously a hospital is going to be better for pathology than a random clinic- hands down.

There are only a few blood tests commonly available that would relate to nutritional deficiencies. Most deficiencies will not readily show in a blood test.

A better approach would just be to analyze your diet.

38 minutes ago, surinteacher2016 said:

you get what you pay for. obviously a hospital is going to be better for pathology than a random clinic- hands down.

You'll find many tests can be cheaper at a public hospital if you have the patience to wait around... or go back the next day. It's not a matter of price savings, going to a private clinic, but one of convenience.   

Are you suggesting that all my tests are (obviously, as you said) inaccurate because they've been done at a private clinic? 

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There are only a few blood tests commonly available that would relate to nutritional deficiencies. Most deficiencies will not readily show in a blood test.

A better approach would just be to analyze your diet.

That's true. I checked the price list from my clinic and the only tests I can see are:

Vitamin D (25-OH): 3000

Serum Iron: 400

Ferritin: 650

Calcium in blood: 150

There probably are more than can be ordered, but they will be very expensive.

I have sampled and used too many hospitals and had many blood tests over the last six months

There is a very great disparity of prices, like double or more; and I have been in Thailand nearly ten yrs and in the past having annual medicals and blood tests

I would strongly recommend Chulalongkorn, in Bangkok and Srinagarind Hospital in KhonKaen, both large government hospitals, are very reasonably priced, and give most of the results, but not all, in a matter of hours not days,

At the moment I get the order for the blood test from Chula, and have the blood test before returning to Bangkok, to save time, this also bypasses seeing a doctor locally at Srinagarind

With any hospital the first time you go, you need to register, this can slow up the process, I now have cards from over ten !  !!

Another observation is do not ignore Sheryl's advice she is seldom wrong

Good luck

On 1/16/2017 at 1:18 PM, tropo said:

You'll find many tests can be cheaper at a public hospital if you have the patience to wait around... or go back the next day. It's not a matter of price savings, going to a private clinic, but one of convenience.   

Are you suggesting that all my tests are (obviously, as you said) inaccurate because they've been done at a private clinic? 

yes, I would question the quality / accuracy for sure for some small clinics

2 minutes ago, surinteacher2016 said:

yes, I would question the quality / accuracy for sure for some small clinics

I'd say the clinic I use is the biggest private clinic in Pattaya. They have quite an investment.

You have no reason to question results at any clinic unless you can provide evidence. Take a sample of blood and provide it to several clinics and a hospital lab and let us know what you found.

You'll find that the typical tests can easily be done in-house these days. Special tests get sent to labs in Bangkok.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, al007 said:

I have sampled and used too many hospitals and had many blood tests over the last six months

There is a very great disparity of prices, like double or more; and I have been in Thailand nearly ten yrs and in the past having annual medicals and blood tests

I would strongly recommend Chulalongkorn, in Bangkok and Srinagarind Hospital in KhonKaen, both large government hospitals, are very reasonably priced, and give most of the results, but not all, in a matter of hours not days,

At the moment I get the order for the blood test from Chula, and have the blood test before returning to Bangkok, to save time, this also bypasses seeing a doctor locally at Srinagarind

With any hospital the first time you go, you need to register, this can slow up the process, I now have cards from over ten !  !!

Another observation is do not ignore Sheryl's advice she is seldom wrong

Good luck

The OP was asking about blood testing in Pattaya. Going to BKK for a blood test is impractical, and a huge waste of time (all day @ 5-6 hours travelling time) and money.

Edited by tropo

An off topic troll post discussing another member has been removed also one reply to it.

Maybe you would like to evaluate my posting ratio vs likes and I can give you a holiday at the same time  :whistling:

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 11:45 PM, tropo said:

This is where I have all my blood tests done.

http://lifecare.siam2web.com/?cid=1208968

You'll find a full price list on there too. They are also open on Sundays.

I don't see a price list, but since the site is in Thai maybe I'm just not seeing the link.  Do you maybe have another URL?  Where are they located?

29 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I don't see a price list, but since the site is in Thai maybe I'm just not seeing the link.  Do you maybe have another URL?  Where are they located?

You missed the little English flag at top right to change language:

http://lifecare.siam2web.com/?cid=1209619

Packages:

http://lifecare.siam2web.com/?cid=1209618

16 hours ago, tropo said:

You missed the little English flag at top right to change language:

http://lifecare.siam2web.com/?cid=1209619

Packages:

http://lifecare.siam2web.com/?cid=1209618

Thanks.  There was some pop-down alert message (which was in Thai so I don't think it was from my browser?) covering the flags.  Now I can close the alert and see the flags.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...