Mae Sai Visa Runs Again?

12 minutes ago, Ilovechiangmai said:

New question. I arrived in Bangkok in Dec with u.s. Passport and got 30 day stay stamped on my passport. Before expiry date I flew to Kuala Lumpur for two weeks from Chiang Mai and returned here in CM on Jan7 and my new 30 day visa expires on Feb 5, I would like to stay an extra 30 days before I fly back yo the U.S. beginning of March. I have a signed two month apartment lease expiring March 5.
My questions: 1. Which is the least hassle free way to obtain a visa extension. At immigration office (near airport), what documents are needed and what is the cost? 2. Would it be better to make a border run to the Myanmar border, is an overnight stay needed, and what would be the cost? Worried!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Best to apply for the 30 day extension for a fee of 1900 bath at immigration. You would do it at the office located in the Promenada Mall.

You will need a completed TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached. Copies of your passport photo page, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

Like Joe says easier to do a 30 day extension at Chiang Mai Immigration for 1,900 baht. If you do decided to go to Mai Sai for a 30 day visa exempt there is no need for an overnight stay in Mynamar. Just walk over the bridge for an in and out stamp and back again, unless you want to go shopping in the market down the steps on the right hand side after Mynamar immigration . They will ask you if you want go shopping or just U turn and go back. A quick in and out stamp only takes 5 or 10 minutes. Then walk back to the Thai side. Mynamar charge $10 US dollars (350 baht at the money changer shop) or 500 baht for the entry. The day trip from CM and Mynamar fee may cost you slightly less. But doing an extension in CM will save you time.

2 hours ago, Ilovechiangmai said:

Thank you for any responses. Would also like experiences of others in similar situations

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Extension of stay as described by ubonjoe ^^ would be best/sure way as far as we know right now. 
30 days more for the mentioned THB 1.900 (from Feb 6th to March 7th), good thing: you could do this anytime from now at your immigration office. 

Advise here: find out beforehand if your landlady/-lord reported your stay (TM30 form or online if the latter ever works really) as required? 
'Cause if not you are most likely to run into problems attempting said extension although that 'report of a foreigners stay' is not your responsibility in the first place.
If this did NOT happen you either visit immigration together with the owner of your place - who might face a fine, up to 1.800.- THB i believe, different handling by different offices i'm afraid, i've seen amount far less but that was tea-money then, not a fine (...) - or you better make a significant curve around them at all.

In that case you would need a border-run which should be possible in Maesai. At least i was told so personally by Chiang Rai immigration office 2 weeks ago.
Problem with Maesai: it was not possible there for the last couple of years, change of rules per 01.01.'17 generally, should be possible now BUT we only have one confirmed successful 'case' so far, basically meaning not really '100%' sure about that yet ...

Costs of 2nd version:

- transport = bus Chiang Mai > Maesai busstation plus tuk-tuk to the border (about 3 km) and back about 500 to 600 THB i'd say;
- entry burma = USD 10.- (bring pretty new banknote(s) if possible) or THB 500.- which would be more expensive; if you tell them so they will stamp you in/out immediately and you just return to Thailand, you could still jump into the duty-free which used to be just opposite the burmese immigration if you want.

In case you want to stay longer they will keep your passport to pick up on your way back out (office = other side of road near duty-free) and you'll receive a printout-document with your data and photo done on the spot (webcam) instead.

Note: for this version you'd have to wait for Feb. 4th or 5th (weekend no problem at borders as opposed to immigration-offices) as the 30 day visa-exempt starts with day of entry to Thailand giving you up to March 5th or 6th respectively.

An alternative to Maesai would be Chiang Khong - friendship bridge to Laos but the necessary Lao-visa (on arrival) would cost you one photo, 35 or 36 USD plus one page in the passport and i'd guess Maesai would be cheaper and more easy to reach from Chiang Mai to begin with.

No need to worry anyway, let us know how it went, Cheers 

So I did a few (lot) of those 30 day exemptions last year. My passport is a bit messy as far as Thailand goes

I stopped cuz they were starting to ask to many questions, and it started showing in the system.

Does this mean I can do these runs again, as the 2/year limit has just been reset?

Has anyone who did a lot of visa runs last year try this yet?

6 minutes ago, leonardjones625 said:

Does this mean I can do these runs again, as the 2/year limit has just been reset?

The 2 entry rule per calendar year is only for land border crossing.

If you have already done several back to back border crossings some crossing may refuse to allow you to do the crossing.

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 2 entry rule per calendar year is only for land border crossing.

If you have already done several back to back border crossings some crossing may refuse to allow you to do the crossing.

So I am talking about the Mae Sai border run. I have not been there in a long time since they closed it (and I was rejected one time).

But it is the easiest option from Chiang Mai, so it would be great to do it again.

I did have around 4 exempts last year. Theoretically it should not be an issue, however, I am a little worried about them having an off day, and just saying no. The last time I did an exemption, something actually popped up on the screen saying I did it too many times.

But that should not happen with the calendar year reset?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, leonardjones625 said:

So I am talking about the Mae Sai border run. I have not been there in a long time since they closed it (and I was rejected one time).

As I wrote earlier in this topic I am not sure they are allowing visa exempt entries yet.

If allowed to do it you should be able to do 2 this year.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:11 AM, sanemax said:

Theres a CM > Maesai Green bus at 8 AM in the morning , costs 2-300 Baht and theres a bus back at 3.30 PM and 5.30 PM .

If you want, you can get a bus to Chiang Rai and take a mini bus from there .

I would avoid mini vans , as its quite a mountainous road and mini vans can be dangerousyes, ,...........!?!!!!

Yes.  No need to do that 8am...just take any of the numerous busses to CR and then the van right to the border....it gives you time to grab lunch and relax in CR and eliminates the songtaew from Maesai bus station to border.  It has been two years, but then they had just extended immigration hours until 830 or 900.....they really shut down early for shopping, but I was glad to get it done.  Easy to get a songtaew back to the bus station with frequent clunkers leaving to CR....I dealt with a very pretty lady in the booth, who had a great attitude, but then again, I had a valid visa from DC.  The Myanmar guys were even friendly for a big change.

BTW, there is a Greenbus agent on Suthep Soi 5.....60 meters off Suthep.  The one down by the McDonalds is gone.  It is a piece of cake and relaxing tow day trip...no need to go to arcade at dawn....and you could easily need an advance ticket for the Maesai trip,especially the one with the 1 day warriors.

Maybe someone could clarify if the CR busses still go to both stations?  That was something that kept changing.  

It's beautiful up there.....and Maesai is fine for the night, too 

They are allowing  30 day visa exempt crossings at Mai Sai again. I just wanted to pass that on in case any one has doubts. The staff there told me it  is the new rule. But limited to 2 land crossings per calendar year for a visa exempt. You are allowed 2 x in and outs from Jan 1 to Dec 31, then it resets. Not sure how they will look on t if they see lots of past stamps. I went through a lot of hassle because my daughter had 29 days overstay. They were quite nasty about that. See story at beginning of thread. But even then they had to let us in and out and give her the small overstay stamp. So we did it. They told me the visa exempts had just started again, which I had read about on here so wanted to test it. So would like everyone to know Yes they are doing them. But I don't like their agressive attitude if there's something they don't like. Also tried to make me pay 14,500 baht when my kid goes free bcos she's under 15, so not aware of their own rules. I corrected them  But yeah if your passport has no issues, should be no problem. if you are worried about many stamps go to the friendship bridge at Chiang Kong, I always found the staff there more friendly, but you'll have to pay for a full page Lao visa in US dollars. About 1,300 baht I think. But have to do it at the exchange booth before you get stamped out. 

Edited by Freespirit
spelling error
  • Like 2

Actually the last time I had trouble was at Chiang Khong. 

But that's what I'm worried about because it's a new again and unpredictable border, and I think I did 3-4 last year.

Did it very clearly state the 2 visa exempts restart Jan 1?

Also, from your story it seems like they gave a lot of trouble upon leaving...Did it seem like they were looking for an excuse to cause trouble because they don't like the new policy, etc?

Yeah been reading some posts about Chaing Khong too. I did go there last year but I was using the old style multi entry tourist visa so no problems. Some people have been questioned over too many visits to Thailand apparently but the staff are said to be nicer and more friendly than Mae Sai.

The new law about visa exempts just came in to effect in January, So I'm assuming by a calendar year they mean January to December as per the calendar.  Anyone  can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes they did seem they were looking for an excuse to make trouble. It was on a Monday morning too with the  new rule just started. Perhaps they weren't very happy about the new workload. They've had it so easy for so long.The IMO in the booth got  excited  and went to the office and called another female officer out, then another, then he called his boss. Overreacting I thought. They have obviously had it quiet with the no in and out 's allowed for a long time, and were hostile to me in the past when the in and outs were stopped. One time I was prevented from returning! so got stuck there with my daughter that time too, they eventually relented. They do for what? Show power? I've been all over Thailand and crossed many borders, only this one gives me trouble. So seemed out to get us and make a big thing of it. Very unerving and intimidating. A softer more friendly approach would have been better. After they gave us the out stamps and let us go, and we got the return in stamps no problem But it seemed they were trying to show power.

Hopefully they will have settled down a bit , but a little politeness wouldn't go amiss. Mynamar are nice, polite and friendly. What happened to Land of Smiles.

Edited by Freespirit
missed something out
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Freespirit said:

Yes they did seem they were looking for an excuse to make trouble. ...

Although you were correct the fine is waived for your daughter's overstay due to her age - it is not clear from your report that they make trouble for those for whom an overstay is not part of the equation.  Overstay is now a big red-flag that will draw the wrong type of attention.