Mae Sai Visa Runs Again?

I'm trying to confirm whether Thai Immigration is now allowing tourists to do a land border crossing and re-entry without a pre-existing Thai visa.

Have read one or two messages on FB groups indicating this is now permitted.  

Also read a posting indicating that immigration will now allow a maximum of two visa exemptions for land border crossings per year.  This would also include Mae Sai.

Can anyone confirm that this is true or relate a personal experience that they successfully got a stamp at this border in 2017?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Most crossings allow crossings for a new visa exempt entries. Only one out of 4 crossing to Myanmar allow one and that is the Ranong crossing.

It is a national rule that only 2 visa exempt entries are allowed per calendar year.

Mae Sai does not allow a crossing for a new visa exempt entry. If you had a visa for Myanmar they would allow it.

This was posted in the Chaing Rai forum by Jollyhangmon.

Folks, Chiang Rai immigration office just told me Maesai/Tachilek crossing would accept (returns on) visa-exempt again with the general limit of 2 per year but 30 days also for those passport-holders again who only got 15 days via land-crossing for the last couple of years.

Now, i'm aware of the general 2-per-year limit as well as the return of the 30 days duration but can anyone already confirm that for Maesai particularly as they seem to always come up with their own specific 'rules'?

Thanks! 

The post is the last one # 1125 posted on Wednesday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That would be this post.

Until I see a post that somebody was able to do one I will stick to the info I have posted.

Yeah, basically same question I posted.

According to the latest from Thai Immigration, should be allowed a border crossing and visa exemption.  Even with word from Chiang Rai immigation officials, I still would like a confirmation from someone who's been there this year, allowed to cross out/in, and got their stamp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a national rule that only 2 visa exempt entries are allowed per calendar year.

You forgot to add, that only applies to land border crossings, unlimited at airports :smile:

Edited by sanemax

27 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You forgot to add, that only applies to land border crossings, unlimited at airports :smile:

Just so someone doesn't wind up having a very bad day - they are not "unlimited" at airports.  There is no "only 2" hard-limit, as has been instituted at the border - but people are being questioned, warned, and denied for "over-using" visa-exempt entries at airports.  There is no written-rule, so no one knows how many trips to Thailand, of what duration, and what other unknown factors might result in a refusal of entry.  For the best odds on this entry-gamble, have 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks and show it "helpfully" upon the initiation of questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I had three visa exemptions (all at airports) last year and on the third one the immigration officer told me that four was the max.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chadimus said:

I had three visa exemptions (all at airports) last year and on the third one the immigration officer told me that four was the max.

If you want to know about certain visas, immigration allows this, or immigration does not allow that. The best thing to do to save a lot of hassle, is find out if the immigration office you are intending to use will do what you are looking for, as they all make up their own rules, and the best place to do that is here on this forum.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 4:34 PM, possum1931 said:

If you want to know about certain visas, immigration allows this, or immigration does not allow that. The best thing to do to save a lot of hassle, is find out if the immigration office you are intending to use will do what you are looking for, as they all make up their own rules, and the best place to do that is here on this forum.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

I intend to get a visa exemption at the Mae Sai border.  I'm asking if that's possible in 2017 now that they have adjusted the rules again to allow for 2 land border crossings per year.  Does this includ Mae Sai?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chadimus said:

I intend to get a visa exemption at the Mae Sai border.  I'm asking if that's possible in 2017 now that they have adjusted the rules again to allow for 2 land border crossings per year.  Does this includ Mae Sai?

You could try to do a crossing at Mae Sai and if successful report back here to let us know you did it. You might be the first one to let us know it is now possible.

The 2 entry rule will apply at Mae Sai and any other land border crossing that allows a border hop for a new visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

I am also interested in this and want to know, as I plan to try it early week. But it would be handy to know in advance, as i tried it a couple of years back and the immigration staff at the out booth leaving Thailand didn't tell me it wasn't allowed, then when I went to come back in I was stopped and told no you can't come back in! I protested and a dispute followed. I argued the point that their staff were wrong in not telling me before I went through. The lady boss there, then went and grilled her staff at the exit booth and came back and said they were wrong and I was right so stamped me back in, but made a note on the computer to say I must fly out in 30 days. So not wanting this to happen again I would ask first at the exit booth that you will definetely be allowed back in before you go out. It was scary being stuck in no mans land for an hour with no Mynamar visa or any clothes etc to stay there., luckily I was allowed back into Thailand. It's a stupid rule and I would have had to call the British embassy for assistance. This time I will try it again, but ask first and if the answer is "No cannot", I have a back up plan to try the bridge at Chiang Khong. Only downside is it will cost more for the Laos visa and use a full page in my passport.

Yes it's true Mai Sai are now allowing visa exempt 30 day entries. But word of warning, make sure you or

anyone with you do not have any overstay!  I went yesterday with my teenage daughter. We were detained

for 2 hours at the booth because my daughter had 29 days overstay, and they wouldn't let us exit. They

said it was serious. They asked why she had overstay. I said she had school tests last time her extension was

due. I thought no harm she's under 15 years so no fine, no problem. I'll just tell them on my next trip out

and clear her overstay. It's just a small stamp in her passport. NO!  first they wanted me to pay 14,500

baht fine for her. I said no she's under 15 years it doesn't apply. So he asked how old she was, I replied

13 years (Sip Sam bee). He then asked the same question 3 more times. My daughter's quite smart so

then said  "dad why he keeps asking because he has my passport open and it it says how old I am in

there right?" I said yes. Anyway then he tells us step aside and wait. After serving everyone else until

the que has gone (about 15 minutes), he goes and gets a female officer to come talk . She says you

can't send your daughter to school on a tourist visa. Oh I said, I didn't know that. Then they say say

they must call their boss. He comes and says it's serious and he must call his boss. None of them

speak English so it's difficult talking. So I ask what happens now. He says he will help me this time

by giving my daughter the small overstay stamp and the exit stamps to go over the bridge to Mynamar,

so we can get the 30 day exempt stamps on return. But I must go Chiang Rai immigration next day

and report to his boss. He  asked me why I didn't go to CR immigration before because they can give

my daughter an  ED visa there! I know this is not true, I have applied at the school and even the Thai

immigration website says you must get documents from the school and letters from government

agencies and then apply for the visa at the Thai consulate in Laos. i know this because  I have started

the process already but they didn't believe me.  Before going through to Mynamar I was then told do not

let you daughter overstay more than 90 days or she will be barred from Thailand for 10 years! But on the

poster it says this does not apply to kids under 15! Staff trying to show power maybe? Anyway the point I

am trying to make here is we were made to feel like criminals and it was a bad experience. They are very strict

at Mai Sai so I advise not to go there if you have any overstay.  My daughter is half Thai, with a Thai birth certificate and an expired Thai passport, but still they give her a hard time! Although it's good news they will now allow 2 visa exempt stamps per calendar year at this crossing,  my experiences here have always been bad ones. On the other hand Mynamar immigration were very friendly, polite and pleasant to deal with. On coming back through  we were stamped back and the girl didn't even talk

We were not made to feel welcome. I hope you have a better experience.

• Like 2

@Freespirit unlucky. I am pretty sure the officials were just looking for a way to pressure you into parting with some cash. It has probably been slim pickings for them in recent years.

I am quite surprised you have your daughter in Thailand on a foreign passport if she has dual nationality, but I have heard of others in that situation, so I guess you have your reasons.

5 hours ago, Freespirit said:

Yes it's true Mai Sai are now allowing visa exempt 30 day entries. But word of warning, make sure you or

anyone with you do not have any overstay!  I went yesterday with my teenage daughter. We were detained

for 2 hours at the booth because my daughter had 29 days overstay, and they wouldn't let us exit.

Just further proof that the fact that children under the age of 15 not paying overstay fines does not exempt them from needing to maintain a valid permit to stay from a visa or exempt entry or extension of stay.

For the banning of children it is under the age of 18 not 15.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Freespirit said:

for 2 hours at the booth because my daughter had 29 days overstay, and they wouldn't let us exit. They

said it was serious. They asked why she had overstay. I said she had school tests last time her extension was

due. I thought no harm she's under 15 years so no fine, no problem. I'll just tell them on my next trip out

and clear her overstay. It's just a small stamp in her passport. NO!  first they wanted me to pay 14,500

baht fine for her. I said no she's under 15 years it doesn't apply. So he asked how old she was, I replied

13 years (Sip Sam bee). He then asked the same question 3 more times. My daughter's quite smart so

then said  "dad why he keeps asking because he has my passport open and it it says how old I am in

there right?" I said yes. Anyway then he tells us step aside and wait. After serving everyone else until

the que has gone (about 15 minutes), he goes and gets a female officer to come talk . She says you

can't send your daughter to school on a tourist visa. Oh I said, I didn't know that. Then they say say

they must call their boss. He comes and says it's serious and he must call his boss. None of them

speak English so it's difficult talking. So I ask what happens now. He says he will help me this time

by giving my daughter the small overstay stamp and the exit stamps to go over the bridge to Mynamar,

so we can get the 30 day exempt stamps on return. But I must go Chiang Rai immigration next day

and report to his boss. He  asked me why I didn't go to CR immigration before because they can give

my daughter an  ED visa there! I know this is not true, I have applied at the school and even the Thai

immigration website says you must get documents from the school and letters from government

agencies and then apply for the visa at the Thai consulate in Laos. i know this because  I have started

the process already but they didn't believe me.  Before going through to Mynamar I was then told do not

let you daughter overstay more than 90 days or she will be barred from Thailand for 10 years! But on the

poster it says this does not apply to kids under 15! Staff trying to show power maybe? Anyway the point I

am trying to make here is we were made to feel like criminals and it was a bad experience. They are very strict

at Mai Sai so I advise not to go there if you have any overstay.  My daughter is half Thai, with a Thai birth certificate and an expired Thai passport, but still they give her a hard time! Although it's good news they will now allow 2 visa exempt stamps per calendar year at this crossing,  my experiences here have always been bad ones. On the other hand Mynamar immigration were very friendly, polite and pleasant to deal with. On coming back through  we were stamped back and the girl didn't even talk

We were not made to feel welcome. I hope you have a better experience.

Why not report the IO including badge number to CR Main office, there is nothing to loose , for you.

• Like 1

I plan to go  CR Immigration head office this afternoon as I was told to do by the boss at Mai Sai. he said ask to see the boss there. I will tell my story exactly as it happened and even have copies of my posts here. I will also be in touch with "other" Thai authorities in BKK. While I cannot find anything that says a Thai/Farang child cannot go school while waiting for an ED visa, I need this cleared up as my daughter cannot go school. due to this new development. Does anyone know the rules on this, as I have never heard of any problems regarding this before. Or is it something just created by Mai Sai immigration? Thai welfare tell me she has to go school,  Mai Sai immigration say no. How many frarang children go school without an ED visa? For your info it's an International school recognised by Thai authorities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Freespirit said:

I plan to go  CR Immigration head office this afternoon as I was told to do by the boss at Mai Sai. he said ask to see the boss there. I will tell my story exactly as it happened and even have copies of my posts here. I will also be in touch with "other" Thai authorities in BKK. While I cannot find anything that says a Thai/Farang child cannot go school while waiting for an ED visa, I need this cleared up as my daughter cannot go school. due to this new development. Does anyone know the rules on this, as I have never heard of any problems regarding this before. Or is it something just created by Mai Sai immigration? Thai welfare tell me she has to go school,  Mai Sai immigration say no. How many frarang children go school without an ED visa? For your info it's an International school recognised by Thai authorities.

why is your daughter not staying on her Thai Passport aniway???everything would be solved straight away, one would guess?

Edited by thetruth revealer

7 minutes ago, Freespirit said:

There is no requirement to have a non-ed visa to attend school. Many people attend school with tourist visas. The only reason to get the non-ed visa and/or extension are to stay here.

Your child could get a one year extension at immigration as a returning Thai national. She could get that with her exempt entry. Immigration might accept her expired Thai passport as proof she is Thai.

• Like 1

Truth revealer,, my daughters Thai mother walked away when she was 1 year old, saying she didn't want a baby and couldn't cope. I have bought my daughter up alone for the last 12 years as a single dad. I think I do a good job and have been commended by the Thai welfare.

I first brought her into Thailand on her original Thai passport. This expired after 5 years. I went to the passport office in BKK to renew it, and they said  no, the original mother must come sign, so it was refused. So you see a single farang Dad with a Thai child has to encounter lots of beurocracy in Thailand, often with head in the sand "sorry cannot" attitude. Right now Thai welfare and the school are trying to get a Thai ID card for my daughter, with welfare saying the last resort will be to go to the Thai courts and get them to authorise it. It makes me want to write to Mr Prayut and say help all these half farang kids who are also Thai's to get their ID  and passports. What happened to Thai Rak Thai.?

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You should be able to get legal custody of your child either at an Amphoe or through a family court based upon her mother abandoning her. You could then get her a Thai passport without the mother's consent.

Would any Thai citizen not be allowed to enter Thailand even on a expired Passport???