Lawyer for Wills...Price?

luther

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The statutory heirs comes into play when there is no will. Having a will with designated beneficiaries precludes distribution to statutory heirs by Thai Civil Code. 

Yes, that makes complete sense. Why, then, did the VFW publish this:

Whether the wife left a Will or not, the house shares shall go to her statutory heirs.

I think it's becoming clearer that the VFW got a bad vibe. I only brought it up to ask all the folks here, who have gotten legal help with their Wills, whether or not they were asked to include disinheritance clauses, in the situation where their Will leaves everything to spouse/significant other. I can only surmise that, no, such a clause has never been required, at least from the folks reading this thread. Chiang mai -- I know you had satisfactory experience with your lawyer in the prep of your/wife's Wills. Any disinheritance clauses in your situation?

Sorry to keep banging for information here. And, jonwilly, glad you know the procedures your executor will go thru, when you croak. Just really curious as to why you won't share them here. Or, maybe you never asked......?

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I think it's becoming clearer that the VFW got a bad vibe. I only brought it up to ask all the folks here, who have gotten legal help with their Wills, whether or not they were asked to include disinheritance clauses, in the situation where their Will leaves everything to spouse/significant other. I can only surmise that, no, such a clause has never been required, at least from the folks reading this thread. Chiang mai -- I know you had satisfactory experience with your lawyer in the prep of your/wife's Wills. Any disinheritance clauses in your situation?

Sorry to keep banging for information here. And, jonwilly, glad you know the procedures your executor will go thru, when you croak. Just really curious as to why you won't share them here. Or, maybe you never asked......?

Yes. The VFW statement is incorrect

The statutory heirs comes into play when there is no will. Having a will with designated beneficiaries precludes distribution to statutory heirs by Thai Civil Code. 

Whether the wife left a Will or not, the house shares shall go to her statutory heirs.

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

See a Thai Lawyer or stop reading all that folks post on Thai Visa.

john

Or stop reading YOUR posts implying that only a Thai lawyer can have all the knowledge and expertise and that the experiences of others have no value or merit. 

If a person is not comfortable preparing a will without a Thai lawyer by all means engage a lawyer. Others are quite capable of executing a will without a lawyer; you have no cause to criticize those that can and do.