Immigration chief declares Phuket Airport queues are ‘no more’

webfact

Immigration chief declares Phuket Airport queues are ‘no more’

Yutthawat Lekmak

1484650437_1-org.jpg

Immigration Bureau Chief Lt Gen Nathathorn Prousoontorn today (Jan 17) declared the long queues at Phuket Airport to clear immigration were over. Photo: Yutthawat Lekmak

PHUKET: -- The chief of the Immigration Bureau of Thailand, Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn Prousoontorn, today (Jan 17) declared there will be no more long queues to clear immigration at Phuket International Airport.

However, he called for patience and understanding as immigration officers had to check each travellers details very carefully for security reasons.

Gen Nathathorn landed at Phuket Airport this morning to be welcomed by Immigration Division 6 Chief Maj Gen Jessada Yaisuin, Immigration Division 6 Deputy Chief Col Nattapakin Kwanchaiyapruk, Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kantawat Pongsathabodi and a healthy contingent of immigration officers stationed in Phuket.

“As you know, Immigration officers have been slow in checking passports of foreigners. This is because they are solving the problem of people using fake passports or using other people’s passports as they have similar facial features,” Gen Nathathorn said.

“This has resulted in longer queues of passengers waiting to clear immigration. Immigration officers are doing their job as quickly and effectively as possible right now, but security remains their top priority.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-chief-declares-phuket-airport-queues-are-no-more-60666.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-18

3 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

They need to remove the baggage scanners on entry to the airport.  There is absolutely no need for this at all.  If there was, every airport in the world would do the same.  

I think there is a great need for the baggage scanners at the entry point.  At least any bomb should not make it into the general check-in area.  As witnessed by explosions in other countries airports through 2016.

8 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I think there is a great need for the baggage scanners at the entry point.  At least any bomb should not make it into the general check-in area.  As witnessed by explosions in other countries airports through 2016.

Agreed, it has worked in other international airports - even Don Mueang gets a bit congested at peak times but the queues still move.

For Phuket International departures, there are only several entry doors up there - but they really need to run two belts at each door efficiently to make it move better.

Bit of a moot point though, once the internal scanners (post check-in, once they go inside the airport on the main conveyors) get installed and certified, they will remove the ones at the entry doors, or so I recall reading somewhere in the last couple of months?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Gen Nathathorn landed at Phuket Airport this morning to be welcomed by Immigration Division 6 Chief Maj Gen Jessada Yaisuin, Immigration Division 6 Deputy Chief Col Nattapakin Kwanchaiyapruk, Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kantawat Pongsathabodi and a healthy contingent of immigration officers stationed in Phuket.

Photo op. Two bigwigs glad handing each other flashes popping great public relations story to be released to all international newspapers immediately. All is forgiven yu all come back now yu hear!!

The officials think we have the same mentality as other Thais. That we should believe what any authority figure says (or at least pretend to).

They haven't a clue that they make themselves look exceedingly foolish in our eyes when they spout demonstratively untrue statements.

Woe betide anyone who contradicts them to their face.

Edited by KarenBravo

6 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

They need to remove the baggage scanners on entry to the airport.  There is absolutely no need for this at all.  If there was, every airport in the world would do the same.  

I agree...a total waste of time  not to mention, they have no idea what they are looking for...completely ridiculous

And with a short press release, just like magic, the queues were "no more."  :smile:

This guy is old school.  He obviously hasn't heard of You Tube, Facebook, Trip advisor etc etc that can easily discredit his already incredible press statement. 

"using other people’s passports as they have similar facial features,” - why not implement the use of fingerprint scans, like Malaysia has been doing for some time now?

Give me a article saying

"The last month no one had to wait more then 20 minutes in immigration queue at Phuket airport"

And you will have readers respect, if you don't have a lot of online post's telling it is BS and the queue is still 1h or more. :thumbsup:

My last travel off Phuket for a 1.5 hr flight to Penang from new terminal

1, Almost a 2 hr taxi ride from Rawai to airport

2,Side walk x ray 50 minutes moderate line 3 Muslim woman in charge totally  in the weeds unable to swiftly lift and inspect the baggage

3, Malaysia air check in 1.5 hr long snaking line only 2 terminals working staff  looked in training and confused

4,Passport/lmmigration 1hr 2 small lines sloooow at least 15 minutes per  passport  6 termlnals in service

So for a 1.5hr flight it took me 5.5 hrs to get to my departure gate

Be Warned give yourself  plenty of time when Leaving Phuket

Edited by glassdude007

Not sure why, but after initial scan of bags outside, had a guy ask me to open again before getting into check in queue.  He did a visual check and sent me on my way.  My flight was to Singapore on Tiger..   Same same my friend on Jetstar to Singapore.  Only Singapore or other destinations as well?

18 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

Many airports in the world do the same.

Unfortunately, as someone already said, these baggage "inspections" are often not very serious.

13 hours ago, glassdude007 said:

My last travel off Phuket for a 1.5 hr flight to Penang from new terminal

1, Almost a 2 hr taxi ride from Rawai to airport

2,Side walk x ray 50 minutes moderate line 3 Muslim woman in charge totally  in the weeds unable to swiftly lift and inspect the baggage

3, Malaysia air check in 1.5 hr long snaking line only 2 terminals working staff  looked in training and confused

4,Passport/lmmigration 1hr 2 small lines sloooow at least 15 minutes per  passport  6 termlnals in service

So for a 1.5hr flight it took me 5.5 hrs to get to my departure gate

Be Warned give yourself  plenty of time when Leaving Phuket

As someone who travels frequently out of the new terminal on various airlines, including Malaysian, I can't help but question your timings here.

2 hours from Rawai sounds extreme - what time of day?  

And what does " 3 Muslim woman in charge totally  in the weeds" mean?  Cannot for the life of me decipher this part.

Regardless - it is the airport timings I don't quite believe. 

Especially the Malaysia Air check in counter.  90 minutes? Really?

In closing, Malaysia Airlines does not fly from Phuket to Penang....

23 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Many airports in the world do the same.

Unfortunately, as someone already said, these baggage "inspections" are often not very serious.

The new Phuket International terminal has not yet had the internal baggage screening system completed yet. (there were some media reports on this in the past couple of months)

Hence the pre-screening on the kerb (no room inside & insufficient equipment to put the x-ray screening in front of each check-in row inside the terminal.

If there was, every airport in the world would do the same.  

Don Mueang Airport - International Terminal - pre-screens all baggage on entry in to the airport.  One of many international airports that do so.  Nothing unusual here, it just seems to be a pain when it is on the kerbside at Phuket before you actually get inside.

3 minutes ago, mojojojo74 said:

What I don't understand is why it often takes more than an hour in queue to LEAVE Thailand. It seems to take them about 5 minutes per person. Why so long when you are LEAVING?

Why should the process take any less time when departing?