"Don't know whether to laugh or cry" Ubon woman wins the lottery as German husband lies on his deathbed

webfact

"Don't know whether to laugh or cry" Ubon woman wins the lottery as German husband lies on his deathbed

1pp.jpg

Picture: Thairath

UBON RATCHATHANI: -- An Ubon Ratchathani woman has won six million baht in the lottery but has mixed feelings about her win.

Her German husband is seriously ill with kidney disease.

"I don't know how much longer he has got," said 38 year old Chonthida Lawan after her surprise windfall yesterday.

Chonthida was at her local police station in Phiboon Mangsaharn district where she showed her ticket and reported her win before she goes to collect, reports Thairath.

She told police there that her husband had given her 300 baht and said to go and buy lottery tickets for her birthday which falls on  this coming Friday.

She decided to get pairs of tickets with the final numbers of 57 and 75. Her winning pair of tickets in the government lottery was number 145157.

"I don't know whether to be happy or sad," she told police.

She used the Thai word "thukkhalap" that refers to gaining a windfall by suffering.

Thairath said they had tried to contact the woman but had been unable to.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-18

59 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

I hope the German has a brother who is in his will and gets his 50%.........

like that would ever happen......

or maybe his 2nd wife........

A brother cannot get anything if there is a wife and/or children. AND: It is HER lottery win.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

She must be insane telling the local police she has just won six million on the lottery.

you go to the police to file a report in order to validate that its your ticket..in case it ever gets stolen or lost...everyone who has won in the past has done the same thing..In fact the lottery office may also require a copy of the report...No Big Deal

3 hours ago, anotheruser said:

She could spend the money on her husband's hospital bills.

Or more likely, harvest his good organs,  sell them, and add to her riches. 

I've lived here so long, I'm not sure if I'm being cynical or just observant. 

Never knew that Lottery winners had to go to the police first. My God do they even have their grubby mits in these winnings? Must one pay a cut to them when they win. would those scumbags never let anyone out of their sight knowing they have come into  that much money without sharing. Someone please tell me I am wrong.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Never knew that Lottery winners had to go to the police first. My God do they even have their grubby mits in these winnings? Must one pay a cut to them when they win. would those scumbags never let anyone out of their sight knowing they have come into  that much money without sharing. Someone please tell me I am wrong.

you go to the police to file a report in order to validate that its your ticket..in case it ever gets stolen or lost...everyone who has won in the past has done the same thing..In fact the lottery office may also require a copy of the report...No Big Deal

15 minutes ago, Lingba said:

When I win as a foreigner, will that ensure I can pick up the winnings?