Relatives scream blue murder after pick-up driver fails to let ambulance pass

webfact

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

Exactly same in UK. On the main bridge through town, every single vehicle will pull up over the pavement and the central reservation to let them pass. It is a combination of education, manners, empathy, respect, nous and not wanting get a huge fine and/or look a complete prat for not doing so. If an ambulance scraped a car, the ambulance would just carry on and get the person to hospital with any insurance issues sorted out later - common sense. If a car refused to move because of a scrape or whatever, aside from being manhandled and moved by a member of public or the ambulance driver, the cops would be on them in a heartbeat. If a person died because of this act, they would likely end up in court on a manslaughter charge and be taken apart in the media.

Thailand needs a public information campaign on all sorts of behavior, teaching them that they must move out of the way of ambulances should certainly be at the top of the list.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be a simple remember Pass a law fining people who do not move and inforce it 1000 should be enough

Now have some police follow ambulance for a period of time pulling over people that do not move

Also run an ad campaign educating people that it may be your grandmother in the ambulance that is dying

1 hour ago, Cockwomble said:

Somchaism at it's finest.

Yes.  Put a huge percentage, (perhaps even the majority) of Thais behind a steering wheel and the  "ME FIRST AT ALL AND ANY COST" attitude comes to the fore.  Those so afflicted, have to pass everything on the road regardless of visibility or traffic coming the other way.  Minivans & pickup trucks seem to be the worst.   The thought of making way for another vehicle, any vehicle, is an affront to their manhood (or Thaihood), I am not sure which.  At best it is selfish immaturity.  At worst it is potential suicide and potential manslaughter.    

When I am driving I always try to keep a "safe" distance between myself and the vehicle in front.  This is almost universally seen by following drivers as space to pass and squeeze into, forcing me to bite my lip and drop back to create a safe zone again.  The frequently means that a minute or two later it happens again.  If I am heading to a supermarket or major parking area I frequently recognize vehicles who have passed me dangerously a while earlier only just disgorging their driver and passengers.    To tell them that they just traded on minute on the road for potential death of how many people would be pointless.  I am sure the reply would be a smirk and "So what?  I still got here before you!!"    

I always watch out for the guys with wide tires and big exhaust tail pipes.  I am sure it is linked to a complex about the size of their own tailpipes!  Their sexual ego makes them a potential deadly risk on the road.  Same as back home really, but here, because of lack of driver education and MEANINGFUL enforcement, it is a problem of plague proportions.

I can think of something worse than not pulling over for an ambulance...leaving the scene of an accident, especially when someone has been hurt. If all you're going to do is fine someone 400 baht for not pulling over for an ambulance or a slap on the hand for leaving the scene of accident then nothing is ever going to change. 

It is what it is...THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD TO DRIVE and it ain't going to change. 

24 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

So they just use sirens when no needed. Sounds like some retraining is in order.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes and i see it all the time, they use those lights for fun it seems..also police and other emergency cars from which i have no idea who they are.

Once i had police with wailing lights behind me (no sirens) while i was waiting for a red light. I moved so they could pass but they didn't take the spot i gave them.

Also there are stoplights in BKK which EVERYBODY ignores, when i stop there the other drivers will all horn at me....

The usage of emergency lights in Thailand is totally uncontrolled....even restaurants and streetvendors have them wailing at their shops. Motobikes installed them, cars use them as their brakelights.....not strange that people don't pay attention to them.

And especially the police and ambulance should know how and when to use them....but they don't!! TIT where nobody is trained to do their job professionally.

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

That video of Germans reacting to an ambulance siren should be played on TV every day, no words are necessary.

It is also an argument about increments and the power of critical mass. Work slowly towards change it will gather momentum and direct itself. Just needs vision and commitment. 

I once was on the San Francisco Bay Bridge in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic when an ambulance came through with its sirens ringing. I was amazed at how all the drivers figured out a way to squeeze themselves into the smallest nooks to let the ambulance pass.  

It had nothing to do with laws, or police, or the government. It was just decent, thoughtful people cooperating and realizing what is good for themselves. 

Yes I get out of the way of all public service vehicles wherever I am driving and yes it must become a habit here too. It's not a difficult thing to learn is it?

On the other hand I see ambulances and police cars stuck in traffic that seem to be waiting along with the rest of us. That is, there seems to be scope for driver training across the spectrum.

Judging by the fact that the pickup driver offered to pay the police fine for the both of them, I have the impression that he might now realized what a mistake he made and may feel quilty.

Too late now sunshine. 

don't ya feel like you just want to plant one on him, i sure as hell do, i see this every day from my condo, at rama 4  // sukhumvit road traffic lights. ambulancs from suk hospital, just sat there sirens wailing, not one vehicle even trying to make room for a pass.

Edited by mercman24

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Last month my neighbour died at home (cancer). Ambulance came with wailing lights, left the lights on while loading her in and left with lights on into BKK-traffic.

wanted to keep her fresh for organ  harvesting.............. you dont know

Making way for an ambulance is one of my main markers of a civilized society

Thailand comes low down the list,though the sickening rhetoric goes on and on about how caring Thai society is

When will schools ,temples and citizen leaders address this shameful issue?

I once seen it in Pattay where a VIP convoy was due to pass. An Ambulance with blaring sirens trying to go through towards BPH just 500 meters away from the hospital.

A policeman posted at the traffic light jumps in front of the ambulance and slams with something on the windscreen .

The convoy was still minutes away.

Would probably be given a ticket for pulling over. Just like driving with lights on. Thais have no idea of driving safety. It's not genetic. My TW got her first drivers license in Texas at 25. She's 65 now without an accident or ticket in US. It's the training and law enforcement at issue.
I want to see it 5 years from now when new cars have automatic braking for front end avoidance. Somchi will not be able to tailgate 5 feet off your rear bumper. What will they do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, teatree said:

Compare and contrast with Thailand:

How Germans React to Ambulance Siren

Wow- look at all that clear road I can drive on and race the ambulance  says Somchai.

I think thai ambulance driver needs to have speakers so they can tell drivers to get out of the way by speaking. I've seen emergency crews (firetrucks) do so and police who use the speaker to get to emergencies. It is very effective and people do move over right away.

It will still take a long for drivers to move over themselves, it comes with the education, education is not improving anytime soon.