TOT stopping phone line ADSL in Pattaya?

Guderian

39 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I tried that and all I get is a standard message:

The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.

One weird thing I don't understand is that the new internet seems to be having great difficulty completing downloads from file sharing services like Openload and Clicknupload. It gets to the end of the download, say 700 MB out of 700 MB downloaded, then just stops and thinks about it and eventually tells me that the download failed. This doesn't always happen but I'd guess around 75% of the time it does. Bit Torrents and Mega work fine.

Any ideas why the downloads seem unable to complete? I never had this problem with the old service.

Try a different address.  Maybe 192.168.0.1.

See here http://setuprouter.com/router/zte/ip-address.htm for a list of common ZTE addresses.

How many LAN ports does the wifi router/access point box has? and where does the LAN cable from the zte box plugs into on the wifi box?

Normally in a router there would be row of  4 ports and a separate WAN port for plugging into the modem/onu box.

If the wifi box is set up as access point only, whereby the routing duty and IP address is given out by the onu box, the cable between the ONU and the wifi router should be plugged into the normal LAN port (any one of the four) NOT the separate WAN port on the wifi box.

Only when the ONU is set up as bridge mode would you plug the cable from the ONU into the WAN port on the wifi router where the routing and giving out of ip address duty is done at the wifi router instead.

If it was not set up as a bridge mode yet is plugged in via the wan port, when you are connecting 'behind' the wifi router, it could makes the zte box unreachable from behind the wifi box as the both box are using NAT(network address translation) and firewalled twice

3 hours ago, doctormann said:

Try a different address.  Maybe 192.168.0.1.

See here http://setuprouter.com/router/zte/ip-address.htm for a list of common ZTE addresses.

I've tried that and get to a D-LINK login page asking for userid and password. I've no idea what they are so I can't go any further.

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

How many LAN ports does the wifi router/access point box has? and where does the LAN cable from the zte box plugs into on the wifi box?

Normally in a router there would be row of  4 ports and a separate WAN port for plugging into the modem/onu box.

If the wifi box is set up as access point only, whereby the routing duty and IP address is given out by the onu box, the cable between the ONU and the wifi router should be plugged into the normal LAN port (any one of the four) NOT the separate WAN port on the wifi box.

Only when the ONU is set up as bridge mode would you plug the cable from the ONU into the WAN port on the wifi router where the routing and giving out of ip address duty is done at the wifi router instead.

If it was not set up as a bridge mode yet is plugged in via the wan port, when you are connecting 'behind' the wifi router, it could makes the zte box unreachable from behind the wifi box as the both box are using NAT(network address translation) and firewalled twice

Thanks. I don't know much about these things but the back of the router is shown in the photo.

IMG_20170209_133057.jpg

As you say, there are four ports which must be the LAN ones, and the yellow cable from one of them is the line out to the PC (it's a desktop so doesn't have WiFi). The lone port on the left of the picture must be the WAN one and indeed that's where the ONU box connects to the router. From this and what you say I take it that it is set-up in bridge mode? Or did I miss something?

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I've tried that and get to a D-LINK login page asking for userid and password. I've no idea what they are so I can't go any further.

The default username and password for DLink routers is probably admin and admin.  Certainly used to be the case on my DLink router, now retired.

25 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That means you're logging into the black Dlink Wifi router not the ZTE fiber router.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Thanks. I don't know much about these things but the back of the router is shown in the photo.

IMG_20170209_133057.jpg

As you say, there are four ports which must be the LAN ones, and the yellow cable from one of them is the line out to the PC (it's a desktop so doesn't have WiFi). The lone port on the left of the picture must be the WAN one and indeed that's where the ONU box connects to the router. From this and what you say I take it that it is set-up in bridge mode? Or did I miss something?

It's probably set up as a bridge mode which is good, if you need to be sure, try moving and plugging the LAN cable from your PC that is currently plugged into the Dlink into the ZTE box instead, if it's set up as a bridge mode your PC shouldn't have internet,

but if your PC still works while plugged to the ZTE box that means you now have 2 nesting network in that the ZTE box is giving out IP address and doing routing, while the DLink box is also doing its own thing within the network meaning there is a 'Double NAT' which is why bittorrent or other protocol might not work

17 hours ago, digbeth said:

It's probably set up as a bridge mode which is good, if you need to be sure, try moving and plugging the LAN cable from your PC that is currently plugged into the Dlink into the ZTE box instead, if it's set up as a bridge mode your PC shouldn't have internet,

but if your PC still works while plugged to the ZTE box that means you now have 2 nesting network in that the ZTE box is giving out IP address and doing routing, while the DLink box is also doing its own thing within the network meaning there is a 'Double NAT' which is why bittorrent or other protocol might not work

Bit torrents and mega work fine, it's standard file downloads from file sharing hosts that I'm having problems with. They download but for some reason refuse to complete the job at the very end and the file is lost. I could ask TOT to come back and try to fix it but based on past experience they're not interested in problems like this.

41 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Bit torrents and mega work fine, it's standard file downloads from file sharing hosts that I'm having problems with. They download but for some reason refuse to complete the job at the very end and the file is lost. I could ask TOT to come back and try to fix it but based on past experience they're not interested in problems like this.

Are you using a download manager, like, IDM ? (Internet Download Manager) if not try a free trial and see if that fixes your problem but my guess is that you are downloading as a "free" user using just your web browser and the file sharing companies are notorious for treating free users to failed downloads 

And TOT is not going to fix "direct" download problems, since they are software based problems, nothing to do with Internet connections 

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Are you using a download manager, like, IDM ? (Internet Download Manager) if not try a free trial and see if that fixes your problem but my guess is that you are downloading as a "free" user using just your web browser and the file sharing companies are notorious for treating free users to failed downloads 

And TOT is not going to fix "direct" download problems, since they are software based problems, nothing to do with Internet connections 

It's not that simple. I never had these problems with the phone line ADSL, they started immediately I had the fibre ADSL installed so I'd say it's 99% certain that it's something to do with that. I'm using four different file hosting sites and the chance that they'd all suddenly start messing about with failed downloads on the same day when they never have before is very small. OTOH this morning 3 out of 4 downloads completed with just 1 failure so that's an improvement. And I can always use bit torrents, of course, but I prefer direct file downloads where possible. Still, I may have to change my ways.

You could try adjusting the MTU setting of your computers Ethernet adapter.

MTU to 1500  and TCP receive window to 17520

if you use windows

in the registry ( be careful check settings for your version of windows )

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters    for receive window
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NdisWan\Parameters\Protocols\0   for MTU

20 hours ago, digbeth said:

That is a good point.

TOT left me with a similar problem after they installed my fiber connection... my Dlink box was improperly bridged to my ZTE box and I had network "interrupts" due to some unknown conflicts.

You can also test for these "interrupts" by opening a cmd window on your PC and pinging a website eg. ping www.google.com.

If there are any time outs, then you have a problem.

I ended up solving the problem by disconnecting the Dlink box, plugging the LAN cable from my PC directly into the ZTE box, logging into the ZTE box at 192.168.1.1 (admin username and password will be in the paperwork that came with the box - or try admin - admin), under Network > WLAN > Basic - ensure that Wireless RF Mode is enabled.

That left me with a system that had no conflicts resulting in network "interrupts" but a reduced wifi range due to the poor broadcast signal strength of the ZTE box.

I solved that problem by running a LAN cable from the ZTE box to a TP-Link AV500 Powerline Edition 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender which plugs directly into the power socket in my computer room.

The AV500 Adapter plugs into the power sockets behind the TV's in my living room and master bedroom which have LAN cables connecting them to Android boxes connected to my TV's.

Final result: a "hard-wired" internet connection at fiber speed to my TV's and an extended WiFi range thanks to the TP-Link Extender and Adapters.

The Dlink router is no longer required.

Hope this is of use to you... first step is try the ping test to see if you have a stable connection.

22 hours ago, Encid said:

That is a good point.

TOT left me with a similar problem after they installed my fiber connection... my Dlink box was improperly bridged to my ZTE box and I had network "interrupts" due to some unknown conflicts.

You can also test for these "interrupts" by opening a cmd window on your PC and pinging a website eg. ping www.google.com.

If there are any time outs, then you have a problem.

I ended up solving the problem by disconnecting the Dlink box, plugging the LAN cable from my PC directly into the ZTE box, logging into the ZTE box at 192.168.1.1 (admin username and password will be in the paperwork that came with the box - or try admin - admin), under Network > WLAN > Basic - ensure that Wireless RF Mode is enabled.

That left me with a system that had no conflicts resulting in network "interrupts" but a reduced wifi range due to the poor broadcast signal strength of the ZTE box.

I solved that problem by running a LAN cable from the ZTE box to a TP-Link AV500 Powerline Edition 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender which plugs directly into the power socket in my computer room.

The AV500 Adapter plugs into the power sockets behind the TV's in my living room and master bedroom which have LAN cables connecting them to Android boxes connected to my TV's.

Final result: a "hard-wired" internet connection at fiber speed to my TV's and an extended WiFi range thanks to the TP-Link Extender and Adapters.

The Dlink router is no longer required.

Hope this is of use to you... first step is try the ping test to see if you have a stable connection.

That's all a bit complicated for me.

I tried the ping but for some reason the DOS window closes after 3 pings. There were no interrupts during those though.

This is a bit odd, I switch everything off when I go to bed, the PC as well as the internet boxes. This morning I switched it back on as usual, but there was no internet connection to the PC. My phone had WiFi which worked fine so TOT's internet was working. I tried rebooting the PC but that did nothing, so then I switched the D-Link router off and back on. That fixed the problem and my PC had internet access again.

Does this indicate that there's something wrong with the D-Link router? If so maybe that's what's causing the downloads to fail?

Any thoughts anybody? Thanks.

it could be that the router is confused about who has what ip address,try setting the PC ip address to use a "static" IP, in the network adapter properties
for example ip 192.168.1.50
gateway (your modem ip) 192.168.1.1
DNS 4.4.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (googles dns) or 192.168.1.1

20 hours ago, johng said:

it could be that the router is confused about who has what ip address,try setting the PC ip address to use a "static" IP, in the network adapter properties
for example ip 192.168.1.50
gateway (your modem ip) 192.168.1.1
DNS 4.4.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 (googles dns) or 192.168.1.1

Damn, 5 or 6 years ago I knew how to do this stuff but nowadays I can't remember Jack.

On 11/02/2017 at 11:55 AM, Guderian said:

That's all a bit complicated for me.

I tried the ping but for some reason the DOS window closes after 3 pings. There were no interrupts during those though.

This is a bit odd, I switch everything off when I go to bed, the PC as well as the internet boxes. This morning I switched it back on as usual, but there was no internet connection to the PC. My phone had WiFi which worked fine so TOT's internet was working. I tried rebooting the PC but that did nothing, so then I switched the D-Link router off and back on. That fixed the problem and my PC had internet access again.

Does this indicate that there's something wrong with the D-Link router? If so maybe that's what's causing the downloads to fail?

Any thoughts anybody? Thanks.

It sounds like your PC is connected by LAN cable to the Dlink router, not the XTE router.

But it's strange that your WiFi was working but the connection to the PC was not.

Open a browser tab and type in "192.168.1.1" in the address line and press enter.

Do you get a Dlink login page or a ZTE login page?

17 hours ago, Encid said:

It sounds like your PC is connected by LAN cable to the Dlink router, not the XTE router.

But it's strange that your WiFi was working but the connection to the PC was not.

Open a browser tab and type in "192.168.1.1" in the address line and press enter.

Do you get a Dlink login page or a ZTE login page?

Thai IP address isn't valid on this PC. As mentioned in an earlier post above 192.168.0.1 gets me into the D-Link router.

I'm still having problems with large downloads, four out of four failed yesterday.

Try your downloading your files via your phone (via WiFi)
if the same problem occurs it points to modem/router configuration problem.

Is your PC running Windows ?
if yes what version of Windows
search Google for information about changing MTU size.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Try your downloading your files via your phone (via WiFi)
if the same problem occurs it points to modem/router configuration problem.

Is your PC running Windows ?
if yes what version of Windows
search Google for information about changing MTU size.

It has to be a modem/router problem with the new kit as far as I can see. For years I've been using the same PC/OS (XP with SP3) setup to download files from the same hosts with hardly ever a problem. Then last week only one thing changed, the internet hardware, and the download problems started. Maybe either the ONU box or D-Link router is dodgy. The access problem I had a few days ago which was fixed by rebooting the D-Link router might point to that being ropy, but I've no idea how to find out what's wrong and I doubt that TOT will be interested, especially given that they provided all this stuff free of charge.

On 13/02/2017 at 0:20 PM, Guderian said:

Then last week only one thing changed, the internet hardware, and the download problems started.

I still think that you have a device conflict (as I did and wrote about earlier on in this topic).

The ping test would verify that for you.

I find it strange that the DOS window closes after only 3 pings.

Have you tried minimizing all other windows (or closing them) and only having the cnd window open and active?

2 hours ago, Encid said:

I still think that you have a device conflict (as I did and wrote about earlier on in this topic).

The ping test would verify that for you.

I find it strange that the DOS window closes after only 3 pings.

Have you tried minimizing all other windows (or closing them) and only having the cnd window open and active?

Yes, I've never seen the DOS window behave like that before. It's the same with everything minimised, I'll try it later on with everything closed.

15 hours ago, digbeth said:

try "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" with a -t in the end it will keep going more than three tries

That IP address just times out, but I did the ping with Google.com and it seems fine, no interrupts at all.

Ping.jpg