Man killed by crocodile in Australia's Northern Territory

webfact

Man killed by crocodile in Australia's Northern Territory

A man has been killed by a crocodile at a river crossing in Australia's Northern Territory.

The man, 47, was wading across Cahill's Crossing near Kakadu National Park when he was taken by the 3.3m (11ft) reptile, police said.

Two women made it across the river before realising the man was missing. His body was found 2km (1.2 miles) downstream on Thursday night, police said. The crocodile was shot and killed.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38685967

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-01-20

18 minutes ago, optad said:

BBC is fascinated by these stories.

True, they do seem to be eh. If you live in the countryside in Oz it is a bit different from your average tube commute I suppose though.

So sad to hear this story but I read he was a local from a remote community which means he was indigenous and he knew the local dangers. Hard to feel much sympathy for someone for someone in this position.

No crocs were I'm from but there certainly were snakes about. There used to be a few different ways to walk to school in my hometown, with one option being a nice but long walk along the river. Lots of animal and bird life around, it was a nice walk if you weren't in a hurry. There were also snakes though, mostly harmless tree snakes but sometimes poisonous black and brown snakes. Black and brown snakes are very mostly timid though, so you don't see them that often but you do hear them as they try to get away from you. So long as you leave them alone you're alright.

Wouldn't see (or more often hear) them everyday but they were there.

Great post. Family has a farm near Goulbourn. Hardly top end but there are plenty of snakes. They don't bother me so much but still gotta be careful. Had a brown just before Xmas chase me 200m from a grading tool i was putting on the tractor. Big flacker and fast. 

Sad about that fella crossing the river. Seems like he should have known better. I sensed he must have been indig but the croc population is exploding up there. I do have sympathy nn for him. Just bad luck. Story was a bit weird in the finding of the body. Usually you have to find the croc first.  

BBC is fascinated by these stories.

Hardly. It's just, well, news. Since nothing much newsworthy comes out of that part of the world, it makes a change when something like this does happen.

What is kind of sad, apart from the guy dying of course, is the killing of the croc. Hardly it's fault for doing what it was designed to do on its turf.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Everything that swims, flies or crawls in Australia can kill you.

Even the sheila's.

Hmmm, on second thought, let me rephrase that... ESPECIALLY the Sheila's! Ssshhh... don't wake them up.

16 minutes ago, optad said:

Great post. Family has a farm near Goulbourn. Hardly top end but there are plenty of snakes. They don't bother me so much but still gotta be careful. Had a brown just before Xmas chase me 200m from a grading tool i was putting on the tractor. Big flacker and fast. 

Sad about that fella crossing the river. Seems like he should have known better. I sensed he must have been indig but the croc population is exploding up there. I do have sympathy nn for him. Just bad luck. Story was a bit weird in the finding of the body. Usually you have to find the croc first.  

Yes, it is sad he died, it's always tragic when someone dies a preventable death, but if a local doesn't respect the dangers he knows are present how can we expect tourists and backpackers to?

4 minutes ago, NumbNut said:

Yes, it is sad he died, it's always tragic when someone dies a preventable death, but if a local doesn't respect the dangers he knows are present how can we expect tourists and backpackers to?

Crocs can have the tourists cum backpackers.!!! Everyone gotta eat, even the BBC.

^^^ Good call optad. Those backpackers would be extra crunchy if they've still got their backpacks on too eh. 

What a way to go though! Doesn't bare thinking about does it. Do you recall about a decade or so ago that American model who was having a few drinks with her freinds ON THE FREAKING JETTY (!!!) and a bloody croc took her. Right off the goddamn jetty! She wasn't even in the water eh!

She was a bit of a honey too if I recall.

Seriously, if you weren't dead you'd buy a lottery ticket wouldn't you...

Cahill Crossing on the East Allgator river.... the " border " to Arnhem Land is quite a spooky place. Steep banks and maybe 30-40 kilometres from the sea but still tidal. Can see a standing wave forming at the concrete causeway. Many crocodiles in the vicinity.

one of the guys I worked with lost his life to a croc there ... fishing on the causeway... washed off. Swam to the bank while his teenage son was reaching down with a stick from a tree to help his dad climb the bank.

Tourists watching and videotaping.

croc took his head clean off and the swam away with the body.

that was in 85 or 86 or thereabouts 

Edited by Flinstone
Fat fingers causing typo

19 hours ago, Vipercatcher said:

Bad call NumbNut!!! Her name was Ginger Meadows.  It was near Kings Cascade Waterfall,  Prince Regent river in the Kimberley. 1987, 30 years ago. She was actually swimming when taken and no where near a jetty!

Fair enough Vipercatcher, thanks for the correction. If she was in the water when she was taken it's not so much of a mystery then. Still, so sad to hear of a young life ended like that, tragic.

I do recall hearing about a croc attack though when a female of some description was taken off a jetty somewhere in Oz. I remember thinking at the time just what chance do you have eh?

Do you have any info regarding this? Haven't turned up anything on google.