Thonburi-Namtok train delayed after a paper box with a bomb inside placed on the track of the River Kwai bridge

webfact

A Thonburi-Namtok train delayed after a paper box with a bomb inside placed on the track of the River Kwai bridge

836_Train.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Thonburi-Namtok train was delayed for an hour after a paper box with a bomb inside was placed on the track of the River Kwai  bridge in Kanchanaburi province yesterday.

The train was stopped a distance from the bridge as explosive ordnance disposal and local police walked to inspect the box

It was later found to be an old M26 hand grenade, but was still life.

EOD then removed the box from the track and took it out for destroy.

The clearing of the River Kwai bridge delayed the train service by an hour.

Police said they believed the owner if the grenade left the box on the track to avoid being searched.

They ruled out it was an attempt to sabotage the rail track as it was only a hand grenade.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/a-thonburi-namtok-train-delayed-after-a-paper-box-with-a-bomb-inside-placed-on-the-track-of-the-river-kwai-bridge/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-20

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The train was stopped a distance from the bridge as explosive ordnance disposal and local police walked to inspect the box

It was later found to be an old M26 hand grenade, but was still life.

Could have reduced the 1 hour delay by:

• Stand on the side of the bridge
  • Check the river is clear of boats and swimmers
  • Hold grenade, squeezing the safety leaver with one hand
  • Pull the safety pin out with the other hand
  • Throw in to river (remember to let go when throwing)

Edited by Basil B

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Provided it explodes in the river!  Although the M26 is quoted to have a 4-5 second fuse I would be very reluctant to pull the pin from something if I didn't know for sure what the fuse length was.  Especially as shorter fuses can be used in the anti personnel booby trap mode when instantaneous detonation is required.  There is also no immediate information on the age or condition of the grenade that may also have affected the time delay. Standard procedure is ensure it is safe to move, take it away and carry out a controlled explosion in a safe location.  Seems like they did a reasonable job; although they did lose the chance of a few free fish from the, 'hopefully', underwater detonation.

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

Grenade dont explode ?????

8 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Is it too much to you to explain why you say " Grenades don't explode"------------ I think there's a lot of people think they do --------- Without any sarcasm please

Missing:

What if?

Just to clarify:
Throw the hand grenade or the pin into river ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

Ever heard about that old weapons and military equipment might malfunction? Would you want to be the one standing with the old granade in your hand at that time?
There is a procedure to do things, because it has to do with protocol regarding peoples safety with adressing cases like the one described.

As for another thing: It will be extremly diffucult to not let go when throwing. Basically mean that you not throw it at all. hmmmm???

they have their own protocol to follow.

35 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Is it too much to you to explain why you say " Grenades don't explode"------------ I think there's a lot of people think they do --------- Without any sarcasm please

Once the soldier throws the grenade, the safety lever releases, the striker throws the safety lever away from the grenade body as it rotates to detonate the primer. The primer explodes and ignites the fuse (sometimes called the delay element). The fuse burns down to the detonator, which explodes the main charge.

On the other hand (no pun intended)....might be a good idea to keep it and check for fingerprints,

1 hour ago, biplanebluey said:

What the hell are you talking about ????????????????

If they follow your advice and they throw the grenade into the river and it doesnt explode as many dont because of rust. You then have a live grenade in a river where people fish, swim and live next to. Do you think your advice is wise ? Or do you not think what they did is the correct way to handle the situation, the same way its done in the rest of the world.

9 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If they follow your advice and they throw the grenade into the river and it doesnt explode as many dont because of rust. You then have a live grenade in a river where people fish, swim and live next to. Do you think your advice is wise ? Or do you not think what they did is the correct way to handle the situation, the same way its done in the rest of the world.

Oh I get it...you are saying he is very responsible for leaving it on the track rather than throwing it into the River where it would most likely sink into the mud at the bottom and never go off. No worries...I follow your thinking...phew!!!

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Oh I get it...you are saying he is very responsible for leaving it on the track rather than throwing it into the River where it would most likely sink into the mud at the bottom and never go off. No worries...I follow your thinking...phew!!!

What are you talking about? I am for the use of international standard procedure when an explosive device are found the area is cordoned off and an explosive expert make the device save. What the other guy said was they should have thrown it into the river which is stupid and dangerous. Geez at least read what the conversation is about before you jump in boots and all.

14 hours ago, George Graham said:

Kinda clever comment but it comes from the film. Read the biography of "Twosie" it's much more interesting - and true.

I believe it's called "the man behind the bridge".... and is a history that corrects the misconceptions (falsehoods) created by the movie.... 

toosei's grand daughter also wrote a book about this great man.... both were written after this humble heros death, per his wishes, as he didn't want to become embroiled in the circus of public life and media attention.

I have collated  all the names of the op's that recommend ways of exploding this device.You all seem very well in the know about explosives.

I have this day sent the names to the Thai anti terrorist squad,the DSI,and that other place,'inactive post' I am sure they will be pleased to visit you all.

No need to thank me,gentlemen.:ph34r:

On 2017/1/20 at 4:17 AM, kotsak said:

The spirit of Colonel Nicholson is still roaming the area..

You need to say a bit on Colonel Nicholson. My kids only know a Colonel who sells fried chicken everywhere. Did he sell fried chicken in Thailand too, this Colonel Nicholson?

1 minute ago, madusa said:

You need to say a bit on Colonel Nicholson. My kids only know a Colonel who sells fried chicken everywhere. Did he sell fried chicken in Thailand too, this Colonel Nicholson?

Hes a fictitious character, poorly imitating the real senior officer of the day.... unlike the colonel of finger licking fame.... so don't confuse your kids by adding fiction to fact. ?

16 hours ago, farcanell said:

Hes a fictitious character, poorly imitating the real senior officer of the day.... unlike the colonel of finger licking fame.... so don't confuse your kids by adding fiction to fact. ?

Oh, that's no good, he is a wvnker, I was hoping to hear some story on this Colonel Nicholson. Another disappointment. If I file up disappointment it would fill up my small bed room with boxes full of them.

Edited by madusa
to add more sentence