Returning to U.K. after 11 years

Hey guys

I'm returning to the U.K. afte 11 years of living abroad in countries such as Australia, Mexico and most recently Thailand.

I have only been back once and basically have nothing there. I have a bank account which is registered to my old address but a, basically starting from scratch.

What I'm wondering is about work, doctors etc, which is the best way to get back in the system?

Do I need to contact any departments etc who can help me integrate back in the system?

if anyone has been through this or can offer any advice that would be great.

cheers guys 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi. Depends on where your from in UK I guess but I recently returned and there are the obvious differences such as the aesthetics, whole blocks n rows of house (some old friends) gone-totally re developed and making it easy to get lost less than a few hundred yards from your old home. [emoji28] You'll probably find the 'ease of access' we easily take for granted here in UK and after a week or two, be whizzing around thriving off these truly missed luxuries. The safety on the roads is such a big plus. You will definitely feel that you've got more chance of survival on these roads and transportation. [emoji1417]The customer service aspect took a while to kick back in for me but I just think I may have been unlucky to only have dealt with moody unprofessional staff (not naming companies)[emoji18][emoji1]BUT after a few weeks u soon appreciate the 'service levels' and shortly remember just how much we Brits moan about everything![emoji23]I've learnt ; be thankful for what you've got. And finally there's the 'other' side of returning home after so long...if you've seen the movie 'The Beach' then you'll have an idea. A side that could make you easily sad and low (if you've been having numbers of affairs /girls on tap) etc. I can see how brutal the realisation could be as that's one thing that is very different back home-one could say the opposite. BUT if you were 'keeping it real[emoji4]' and weren't living too crazy a life, well I think you will fit back in in no time. [emoji1431] My tip:if you have a small friend base or have lost touch with many of your old friends etc (a lot happens in 11 years[emoji28]) I would make sure you got a couple to be there to bounce off of for your initial re location. Good luck and welcome back mate. [emoji1417][emoji1] P.S. Yes the weathers still shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You'd also be good to call inland revenue and request your National Insurance Number through the post or you can do it online. Takes about 2 weeks so may be wise to do it before. I think in most cases where you'll need proof of address they will accept this letter as 2 forms of id[emoji57] You may possibly have no mail that would be accepted or no mail at all? Nevertheless you'll find that security has tightened up require a little more than the previous "oh, I can remember my NIN-now you need proof. This also depends on your personal circumstances re employment etc. [emoji1417]Don't forget to update us on how it goes!

You will need an address, once you have sorted a place to live you need to contact your local social security office, make an appointment and they will nurse you back into the system. If you have an NI number then that makes it easier if not follow the advice above. Your work history is important as prospective employers will look for fact based history so if you can get together payslips letters of employment covering your period outside the UK this may well prove useful. Doctors, once you have an address and NI number find a surgery near and register, they will let you know if there is a complication for being out of the country.

Ok then also consider you will probably need to be in work and get references before you can rent your own place, again they will want to check previous address, so history will be important even if they do not go so far as checking abroad.

Not too daunting just a bit chicken and egg at times, good luck, the old country still holds a degree of charm and enjoyment.

As long as you've got an NI number you can work and as long as you've got money of your own you'll get by until you find work, trying to get benefits will be a problem.

As a starting points, tell the Revenue that you're back and resident, you wont have to pay back tax but the fact that you're once again resident for tax purposes will score you some points with the benefits people and the NHS, should you wish to use them.

Register with a doctor, it will help with NHS if you ned to use it. If you have a UK license, get it up to date and legal (both useful points for future benefits/NHS usage)

Many benefits are subject to the Habitual Residency Test which determines if you are or are not UK resident, as a citizen you should have no problem with it but you need to be aware it exists. Also, there's a waiting or exclusion period with some benefits based on residency.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) is designed to help people like you, go see them and listen to what they have to say.

A useful read here: http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?epslanguage=en-GB?dtrk=true

That's all I can think of right now - good luck.

Edited by chiang mai
31 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

As long as you've got an NI number you can work and as long as you've got money of your own you'll get by until you find work, trying to get benefits will be a problem.

As a starting points, tell the Revenue that you're back and resident, you wont have to pay back tax but the fact that you're once again resident for tax purposes will score you some points with the benefits people and the NHS, should you wish to use them.

Register with a doctor, it will help with NHS if you ned to use it. If you have a UK license, get it up to date and legal (both useful points for future benefits/NHS usage)

Many benefits are subject to the Habitual Residency Test which determines if you are or are not UK resident, as a citizen you should have no problem with it but you need to be aware it exists. Also, there's a waiting or exclusion period with some benefits based on residency.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) is designed to help people like you, go see them and listen to what they have to say.

A useful read here: http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?epslanguage=en-GB?dtrk=true

That's all I can think of right now - good luck.

31 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Thanks mate

ill have a good look tonight and see what I can gather.

Bridlington, used to go in hols there as a kid, family from Scunny

6 minutes ago, james24 said:

Thanks mate

ill have a good look tonight and see what I can gather.

Bridlington, used to go in hols there as a kid, family from Scunny

Scunny....salt of the earth mate, Gods country and Gods people, not like those southern woofters. :post-4641-1156694572:

Kudos, op, it won't be easy. Customer service is the one thing I was taken aback by... meaning, the politeness was palpable. After Thailand especially, you'll be bowled over by the price and choice of groceries / booze. Main thing for me getting used to was the system and the people in general being on a different planet, being content with the whole 9-5 thing. Yuck. Old friends tend to move on too.

All the best.

On 1/22/2017 at 5:30 AM, james24 said:

Thanks for all your advice guys, much appreciated 

The only concern is that I will not have an address, apart from a hostel until I can work.. .

Will be interesting to see how things go but tbh I am looking forward to it.

Keep  us  informed ,  and  good  luck .

The only concern is that I will not have an address, apart from a hostel until I can work.. .

rather you than me

If you can, leave the move until May time when there's lighter nights & warmer weather, that way it won't feel (quite) as bad moving back.

I'm sure you have your reasons for doing so, good luck, hope it all works out for you & please keep this thread updated as you get along.

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I suppose one could start by signing on the "dole"....that will lead on the other stuff.

not possible i think. i had a friend go back there a few months ago the government say they cant help him for a period of time, hes held up in a hotel that his sister is paying for,

On 1/22/2017 at 2:23 AM, 15Henlee said:

Hi. Depends on where your from in UK I guess but I recently returned and there are the obvious differences such as the aesthetics, whole blocks n rows of house (some old friends) gone-totally re developed and making it easy to get lost less than a few hundred yards from your old home. emoji28.png You'll probably find the 'ease of access' we easily take for granted here in UK and after a week or two, be whizzing around thriving off these truly missed luxuries. The safety on the roads is such a big plus. You will definitely feel that you've got more chance of survival on these roads and transportation. emoji1417.pngThe customer service aspect took a while to kick back in for me but I just think I may have been unlucky to only have dealt with moody unprofessional staff (not naming companies)emoji18.pngemoji1.pngBUT after a few weeks u soon appreciate the 'service levels' and shortly remember just how much we Brits moan about everything!emoji23.pngI've learnt ; be thankful for what you've got. And finally there's the 'other' side of returning home after so long...if you've seen the movie 'The Beach' then you'll have an idea. A side that could make you easily sad and low (if you've been having numbers of affairs /girls on tap) etc. I can see how brutal the realisation could be as that's one thing that is very different back home-one could say the opposite. BUT if you were 'keeping it realemoji4.png' and weren't living too crazy a life, well I think you will fit back in in no time. emoji1431.png My tip:if you have a small friend base or have lost touch with many of your old friends etc (a lot happens in 11 yearsemoji28.png) I would make sure you got a couple to be there to bounce off of for your initial re location. Good luck and welcome back mate. emoji1417.pngemoji1.png P.S. Yes the weathers still shit.

you also forgot to mention that after a few months of ignorant people you come into contact with you will be ready to book your flight straight back out of uk , also the usual stigma and blindfolded view that people there have in conversation with them, such as when they say to you , "oh ! you have been living in thailand have you how many ladyboys you been with " they will try to embarrass you with this because they saw a one sided blindfolded view of thailand on tv and they have never been so dont understand the laid back lifestyle here, Also they will try to embarrass you  in conversation with , " and how many little underage girls have you been hanging around with abroad " ? because they are in their tiny little one view world controlled by the BBC oh and dont forget you still have to pay your TV license (nonesense)  also scraping the ice off your car , paying the extremley expensive council tax and gas and electric bills , after 2 months you will be wishing you had never gone back hearing the one sided news drummed down your neck every night , and down at the local you will get sick of been told , " your a dirty old man for fancying a 20 year old girl at the local and better watch envious and jealous husbands who are under the thumb looking at you when you chat to the 21 year old student bargirl .  and mentioning to his also under the thumb mates that the dirty old mnan is at it again. also the amount of times you will be ripped off with car garage bills , insurance , petrol the list of rip offs is endless over there yes you will be wishing you had never gone back and miss those lazy days in the sun with your mates and the usual 21 year old girl you meet for fun times together every few days and also talking to 20 year old girls without any sterio types about telling you your a dirty old man , yes it wont be long before your at the international airport ready to fly out of the  dark, expensive, narrow minded , freezing cold fridge we call home the UK .

2 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

you also forgot to mention that after a few months of ignorant people you come into contact with you will be ready to book your flight straight back out of uk , also the usual stigma and blindfolded view that people there have in conversation with them, such as when they say to you , "oh ! you have been living in thailand have you how many ladyboys you been with " they will try to embarrass you with this because they saw a one sided blindfolded view of thailand on tv and they have never been so dont understand the laid back lifestyle here, Also they will try to embarrass you  in conversation with , " and how many little underage girls have you been hanging around with abroad " ? because they are in their tiny little one view world controlled by the BBC oh and dont forget you still have to pay your TV license (nonesense)  also scraping the ice off your car , paying the extremley expensive council tax and gas and electric bills , after 2 months you will be wishing you had never gone back hearing the one sided news drummed down your neck every night , and down at the local you will get sick of been told , " your a dirty old man for fancying a 20 year old girl at the local and better watch envious and jealous husbands who are under the thumb looking at you when you chat to the 21 year old student bargirl .  and mentioning to his also under the thumb mates that the dirty old mnan is at it again. also the amount of times you will be ripped off with car garage bills , insurance , petrol the list of rip offs is endless over there yes you will be wishing you had never gone back and miss those lazy days in the sun with your mates and the usual 21 year old girl you meet for fun times together every few days and also talking to 20 year old girls without any sterio types about telling you your a dirty old man , yes it wont be long before your at the international airport ready to fly out of the  dark, expensive, narrow minded , freezing cold fridge we call home the UK .

Agreed, very much. Sadly it might just be better to not be specific about where you've lived and instead say you've been working and living in The Far East or Asia for X years, some of the small minds in the UK can be very annoying and frustrating and you'll never change them all.

james24, what sort of work do you do, or looking for.

NI number is something that lives with you for life, register for a doc, and get on the voters register,  your old address will do for now, can do on line, also update driving licence, if you go self employed you have 3 months to register,  look at lodging with someone, its the cheapest way of living in the UK, no bills other than rent, far cheaper than the cheapest of B & B, look at  spareroom.co.uk this would give you an address to use.

all the best, I will be back in Lincoln after the cold weather over there has subsided

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

james24, what sort of work do you do, or looking for.

NI number is something that lives with you for life, register for a doc, and get on the voters register,  your old address will do for now, can do on line, also update driving licence, if you go self employed you have 3 months to register,  look at lodging with someone, its the cheapest way of living in the UK, no bills other than rent, far cheaper than the cheapest of B & B, look at  spareroom.co.uk this would give you an address to use.

all the best, I will be back in Lincoln after the cold weather over there has subsided

So around August then.

Friend of mine recently went back after about 5 years permanently  here... He initially stayed with a friend, and used that address to register with a doctor (that was his main reason for returning), and everything else fell into place from that.  He even received (a share of) the additional heating allowance....

He's now 6 month UK, 6 months T/L. 

You will need an address for updating your DL, having an old one could lead to problems.

Banks, if you want to open new one will want 2 proofs of address ( as will renting a car, unless you use a Thai licence - You will also need to get a printout reference from DVLC )

Renting a property will probably require the same.

Local café or similar for free Wi-Fi, can save you having to buy a contract, which also without an address will stop you taking a contract, thus PAYG is only option.

Do you still have an ATM card in UK which works, and when did you use it last, if more than 6 months of non usage some banks put a block on it.

If your phone unlocked? if not do it before you leave Thailand.

Its cold at moment, go and buy a cheap warm jacket for your arrival.

If traveling buy train, use thetrainline site to order in advance and cheap off peak tickets ( full fare and peak will kill you - prices like telephone numbers )

For future employment, make sure you have a good explanation for your time in Thailand, it is definitely off putting for many employers ( most) unless you have a reason for that period out of UK.

Decent pair of copy walking boots from Bangkok (cheaper than UK)

Don't forget this tax, and that tax, too many to mention, tv licence, I think you will soon regret moving back, Yes, Thailand has it's drawbacks, like roads, Immigration messing you around with lot more hoops to jump through than necessary, but the good far outweighs the bad here. But good luck anyway, you will need it.