Households face at least 350 baht/month for garbage collection and disposal

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Our 100 baht a month buys us garbage collection, street lighting and street/verge maintenance. But the garbage collection guys will only accept household waste and nothing else, anything unusual or odd, even leaves/grass trimmings incurs an additional fee. Black plastic bags of waste get thrown onto the back of a truck where the bags are ripped open and discarded, the contents sorted for what can be reclaimed and sold later and for inspection of any unauthorised waste - for an additional 300 baht a month they will take anything I put out, for me it's all good value.

But Mrs CM's family in Sukhothai are required to pay 10 baht for the truck to collect anything that is put out and they refuse to pay, as does 75% of the village, why pay when we can burn for free is the prevailing attitude. Education needed big time.

The Puu Yai in Mrs CM"s village should get out and about a bit more often and educate the ignorant.1 warning then fines and name and shame over the tannoy.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

only way it will work IS to ADD it to the electric bill,otherwise they will do what they do every day,CHUCK IT BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Or chuck it in your bin.  Here it only costs 360 baht a year.  Great value!  But people still don't want to pay.  Not just low income people either. Had a developer build an apartment with 16 rooms and they didn't provide any means for people to get rid of there garbage.  So what did the people do?  Filled my bin up to the point I couldn't use it.  Pathetic!  After raising this to the owners attention they did provide 3 wheelie bins which still in my opinion is inadequate for 16 rooms. There needs to be clear legislation as to the number of bins assigned for commercial ventures.  And all households should be forced to participate to make the service economical and efficient.  as suggested adding to the electric bill could be effective.

We just got our garbage collection fee notice from the local khet (district) office here in western Bangkok....they'll be coming around the last part of this month to collect the annual fee.  It's Bt240/year like for previous years.   The garbage truck comes two times a week and empties every how many trash cans you have out (we have two) and picks up any landscaping/tree cuttings as long as the cuttings are cut into pieces no longer than 1 meter in length.

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe the fee is 150 baht per month from what is published in Thai.  Not sure what that 200 baht fee is but suspect something other than routine household garbage.  

As the article says, 150 baht is for the collection, and 200 baht for disposal of same!

36 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Sorry, have to disagree. Maybe we live on a different planet, but we don't have an issue in our village. Local authority provides 200 lt. rubbish bin. Collection twice per week. The guys take anything placed in or beside the bin. Annual payment of 1,200 baht to village head man, with receipt. Very little, if any, rubbish in our Sois.

Just sayin.

hi MALT if you come and have a butchers at the 3blue rubbish bins not far from us,the area is covered with rubish and plastic bags thrown beside the bins,then when the binmen come to collect the rubbish it is piled up and then SET ON FIRE.

WISH I COULD POST THE PHOTO OF THIS MORNINGS BURNING.

as for mooban life and village life its almost the same,its the outside pillocks with big cars,pick-ups that wont pay and throw away.

32 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

The Puu Yai in Mrs CM"s village should get out and about a bit more often and educate the ignorant.1 warning then fines and name and shame over the tannoy.

Possibly, but somebody would need to educate the Puu Yai first!

Uptome...  

Why not ID other countries as role models best practices etc?

when you are at the rock bottom in so many infrastructure activities and management systems due to one's own cultural thinking, it's time to join the 21st century and adopt outside practices...

18 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Or chuck it in your bin.  Here it only costs 360 baht a year.  Great value!  But people still don't want to pay.  Not just low income people either. Had a developer build an apartment with 16 rooms and they didn't provide any means for people to get rid of there garbage.  So what did the people do?  Filled my bin up to the point I couldn't use it.  Pathetic!  After raising this to the owners attention they did provide 3 wheelie bins which still in my opinion is inadequate for 16 rooms. There needs to be clear legislation as to the number of bins assigned for commercial ventures.  And all households should be forced to participate to make the service economical and efficient.  as suggested adding to the electric bill could be effective.

i am lucky in a way,that i live on a mooban,but pay 1,500bht.a month community service charge,rubbish collected every day by a cleaner.

but those blue bins that are put out on the side of the road,ARE emptied one minute and FILLED the next,then its chucked by the side of them.

25 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Uptome...  

Why not ID other countries as role models best practices etc?

when you are at the rock bottom in so many infrastructure activities and management systems due to one's own cultural thinking, it's time to join the 21st century and adopt outside practices...

In my country of origin we are provided with two wheelie bins.  A green lid for general waste and a yellow one for recycling. When the truck lifts the bin if it exceeds the the crane limit it is not collected and an overweight notice is stuck to the bin. We also have green waste collections for tree cuttings etc at scheduled pre advised dates throughout the year.  These are mulched and the end product is available for purchase to be used in home gardens.  There is also a bulk collection 1 or 2 times a year to get rid of old appliances furniture etc and some people take advantage to drive around and find things they can use or even sell/recycle so that's a great idea in my opinion. The fees for this are included in the annual council taxes and all households must participate.  Don't know if it would work here but worth considering.

Our service is 20 baht a month for which we get two collections a week at a central point. People simply dump their rubbish near the bins and dogs rip open the bags etc, complete utter tip in itself. People won't pay the fee, despite having beautiful houses. Can't believe it. Felt sorry for the guy having to come around every month so I told my partner just to pay for 12 months and to be done with it. 

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In the USA municipal services such as garbage are paid for by local taxes, and such.  In Huntsville, Alabama, they charge you for garbage collection directly on your electric utility bill.  You have no option to refuse it, not pay it, etc,

Yep! This is Thailand. Not the same at all.

Yes the poor guys that collect cardboard and bottles will be out of work, they do a good job.
The corporate boys will be gathering and separating the rubbish now.

Someone high up the "chain of command" has realised that "where there is muck there is money "!

Force the little man out, get in some illegals who will work for sod all, and live in tin barracks next to the tip, levy the charge on every household and sit back and count the cash.
There will doubtless be plenty of informal fiscal opportunities in the processes of tendering for and letting the franchises for this operation...

Still very cheap. I just hope they put a big fine on littering at the same time, and enforce that hard, othervise they just told people to take away the place for trowing and trow everything where they are at the moment. Not really anything different than now.

Still very cheap. I just hope they put a big fine on littering at the same time, and enforce that hard, othervise they just told people to take away the place for trowing and trow everything where they are at the moment. Not really anything different than now.

Well ThB 350 a month is not that cheap when you earn ThB 320 a day....

300 baht a year in my village for supplying bin and disposal of waste twice a week.

Even then, 1 in 5 don't have a waste bin, so it's not uncommon to find someone else's trash bag in your bin in a morning.

Unless they levy a tax on every household for refuge collection, nothing will change. 

2 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

But we not in USA. This is TV forum.

Why does everyone on here keep comparing things with USA.

We Don't want to know.  ???

I think you miss the point, I believe gk10002000 point is that that it's another ill conceived idea which won't work, it's pointing out that there are already systems in other countries that do work, unfortunately the Thai's never seem to  think anything through, they can never see past the car in front!  You say "We Don't want to know", who is "We"! 

I think "Inthesoi" comment sums this up! 

"It's almost like garbage collection hasn't been invented on your planet yet.

Thailand can simply use the same model of operations successfully deployed by hundreds of other countries."

3 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

But we not in USA. This is TV forum.

Why does everyone on here keep comparing things with USA.

We Don't want to know.  ???

Would it be better if he had phrased it "one example that I know of.........."? At least he did not say the Trump word so try a little Jai Yen Yen :smile::smile::smile:

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I pay 1416 per month to the Juristic entity that runs my mooban.  For this my garbage is collected THREE times a week; the streets are swept 3 times weekly; all common areas trimmed and watered; communal pool and gym maintained; 24 hour security; a web site; and a monthly financial report each month by email.  I live in Bang Saray; my fees have not been raised in 11 years.  61 of 62 houses paid last year.  The committee has over 1.5 million in the bank.  This level of service has to be worth much more.  It's a shame I have to sell up to return to Europe.

Yes is called a service charge

I have no problems with this at all we only ever have one black bag a week anyway we Recycle everything we can and waste food goes to the pigs. Although I can see a lot of Villigers here opting out and burning more. As for the weighing there would be a problem there can't see how they will do that. Anyway will have to wait and see what if anything changes here.

350 bht so would cost me 150bht a month as we always sell our recycled materials pm and usualy get 200 to 225bht pm.

Edited by Deepinthailand

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In the USA municipal services such as garbage are paid for by local taxes, and such.  In Huntsville, Alabama, they charge you for garbage collection directly on your electric utility bill.  You have no option to refuse it, not pay it, etc,

Thai Government must realize a hidden resource of recycling... all products bought come in a form of Oil, Wood, or Silicon...packaged or in use..no such thing as GARBAGE... even cow dung is used in India on the land or used as fuel in cooking... in the 21st century consumers must pitch in saving the planet of recycling...make available bins for recycling.. cardboard Paper, Metals with glass as magnets can select ferrous materials, and household waste.  OMG the price and education of getting Thai's to follow what up-country people do...they do not just throw everything out in one bin..it usually is separated.  More pressure on local municipalities to provide this kin of bins...with future profits in recycling provide more bins in high dense areas... make a lottery bin..the fuller the more chances of winning the prize of funds derived from profits of recycling... a thought no such thing as Garbage it is part of the universe and earth...the earth recycles daily the air and water we breath... my thoughts hope some action is taken or made publicly in addressing the waste to be recycled...Thank you...Canadian living in Thailand... below is the term "Waste" Wikipedia should edit the term "garbage and waste"

Waste and wastes are unwanted or unusable materials. Waste is any substance which is discarded after primary use, or it is worthless, defective and of no use.

Edited by rotorbreeze