White House says media delegitimizing Trump, won't 'take it'

webfact

White House says media delegitimizing Trump, won't 'take it'

REUTERS

r1.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump hands Chief of Staff Reince Priebus (R) an executive order that directs agencies to ease the burden of Obamacare, after signing it in the Oval Office in Washington, U.S. January 20, 2017. Also pictured is White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter (C). REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House vowed on Sunday to fight the news media "tooth and nail" over what officials see as unfair attacks on President Donald Trump, setting a tone that could ratchet up a traditionally adversarial relationship to a new level of rancor.

A day after the Republican president used his first visit to CIA headquarters on Saturday to accuse the media of underestimating the crowds at his inauguration, White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus expressed indignation at the reports and referred to them as "attacks."

"The point is not the crowd size. The point is the attacks and the attempt to delegitimize this president in one day. And we're not going to sit around and take it," Priebus said on "Fox News Sunday."

Priebus complained about a press pool report that said the bust of Martin Luther King Jr had been removed from the Oval Office. The report on Friday night was quickly corrected but Trump called out the reporter by name at the Central Intelligence Agency on Saturday, as did spokesman Sean Spicer later in the day.

"We're going to fight back tooth and nail every day and twice on Sunday," Priebus said.

The chief of staff also repeated Spicer's accusations that the media manipulated photographs of the National Mall to show smaller crowds at Friday's inauguration.

Aerial photographs showed the crowds for Trump's inauguration were smaller than in 2009, when Barack Obama, the nation's first black president, was sworn in.

The unexpectedly high turnout for Saturday's Woman's March on Washington outpaced the inauguration turnout. The Washington subway system reported 275,000 rides of as of 11 a.m. (1600 GMT) on Saturday.

The subway system said 193,000 users had entered the system by 11 a.m. on Friday, compared with 513,000 at that time during Obama's 2009 inauguration.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Andrea Ricci and Jeffrey Benkoe)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-23

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, NumbNut said:

I have a request. Could the right-leaning TV folks please describe to me what a 'snowflake' is?

Just trying to work out to which side this handle is best suited... 

Thank you kind sirs!

From the Urban dictionary: link

An overly sensitive person, incapable of dealing with any opinions that differ from their own. These people can often be seen congregating in "safe zones" on college campuses.
Those social justice warriors are just a bunch of snowflakes.

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

From the Urban dictionary: link

An overly sensitive person, incapable of dealing with any opinions that differ from their own. These people can often be seen congregating in "safe zones" on college campuses.
Those social justice warriors are just a bunch of snowflakes.

An overly sensitive person, incapable of dealing with any opinions that differ from their own... kinda like POTUS?

Thanks canuckamuck, answered my question. :thumbsup:

Edited by NumbNut

Well get ready for that to change I reckon.

Nothing describes the new POTUS better then 'snowflake', it's perfect!

And his 'safe zone' is the White House, where he can hide away and ignore the press asking those pesky questions that he doesn't want to answer. Be lucky if he grants the press an interview in the next six months.

Yep, snowflake is not only perfect, it's EXACT!

15 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Seems to me that the media is fomenting the grounds for a revolution. Completely different treatment of this president than any other, totally adversarial and coordinated. Right from the moment Trump began to rise as a nominee.

Completely different treatment for good reasons.  He's a liar and so are his staff.  Congrats to the media for keeping up the pressure on these guys.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/22/opinions/alternative-facts-lies-obeidallah-opinion/index.html

Dear team Trump,'alternative facts' are lies

It's truly hilarious that the Trump team, so vocally opposed to political correctness, is now being PC in describing a lie. Sorry, Kellyanne, I'm not buying it. "Alternative facts," as NBC's Chuck Todd so accurately put it in response to you on the air, "are not facts, they're falsehoods!"

The future under these guys doesn't look bright.

20 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Seems to me that the media is fomenting the grounds for a revolution. Completely different treatment of this president than any other, totally adversarial and coordinated. Right from the moment Trump began to rise as a nominee.

All true. The media have often been dishonest about the new president and distorted the facts. However, I wish that he would pick his battles more carefully. There are instances where he is wrong about things and will not admit it.

He may be correct about the most watched inauguration in history, but it is pretty obvious that it was on TV and electronic devices, not on the steets in Washington DC.

All true. The media have often been dishonest about the new president and distorted the facts. However, I wish that he would pick his battles more carefully. There are instances where he is wrong about things and will not admit it.
He may be correct about the most watched inauguration in history, but it is pretty obvious that it was on TV and electronic devices, not on the steets in Washington DC.

All the media have done is reported about his words. The media have not distorted facts, only called him out on his fact distortions.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

28 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Completely different treatment for good reasons.  He's a liar and so are his staff.  Congrats to the media for keeping up the pressure on these guys.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/22/opinions/alternative-facts-lies-obeidallah-opinion/index.html

The future under these guys doesn't look bright.

You realize that it is not even Monday morning on his first week in office yet. At this stage When it was Obama's turn, the media was certain that they had just witnessed the rise of America's messiah. Which of course was also completely biased and inaccurate, considering the man had done nothing yet except ride the hype train and beat Hilary. Which Trump has also done.

Perhaps a few months in office will begin to bring a few facts about what the Donald will actually do. More likely it will require years.

Edited by canuckamuck

17 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

UG, are you going to support this liar unconditionally?

What do you make of the statement "alternative facts"?

The story on the MLK bust being removed, when proven to be false, was retracted and admitted to. Why can't the Trump team do the same?

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

It is not the media he is at war with, it is facts he is fighting. Has been since the start of his campaign, and this won't change. A potentially very dangerous development, he'll try to make his truth THE truth.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

This is a very astute post.

11 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

UG, are you going to support this liar unconditionally?

How can you come to this conclusion when I called him on a dishonest remark in the very post that you quoted? So many enemies in the press and elsewhere, are just out to get the guy and not concerned about being truthful about how they do it.

1 minute ago, Ulysses G. said:

How can you come to this conclusion when I called him on a dishonest remark in the very post that you quoted? So many enemies in the press and elsewhere, are just out to get the guy and not concerned about being truthful about how they do it.

Yes, sorry about that. Still bleary eyed.

24 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

You realize that it is not even Monday morning on his first week in office yet. At this stage When it was Obama's turn, the media was certain that they had just witnessed the rise of America's messiah. Which of course was also completely biased and inaccurate, considering the man had done nothing yet except ride the hype train and beat Hilary. Which Trump has also done.

Perhaps a few months in office will begin to bring a few facts about what the Donald will actually do. More likely it will require years.

There's no comparing Obama and Trump.  Apples and oranges.  Trump has made his bed, he's now got to deal with it.  And it doesn't look good.  First week in office and his press secretary has already started with the lies. 

But yes, Trump needs more time to see how things will really shape up.  Sadly, it's not looking good.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

There's no comparing Obama and Trump.  Apples and oranges.  Trump has made his bed, he's now got to deal with it.  And it doesn't look good.  First week in office and his press secretary has already started with the lies. 

But yes, Trump needs more time to see how things will really shape up.  Sadly, it's not looking good.

How can you say there is no comparison? I am talking about attitudes towards a new president during the inauguration. You can switch Obama with any other president and you will still not see what we are seeing here. 

This is unprecedented adversarial media. America is being worked.

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

How can you say there is no comparison? I am talking about attitudes towards a new president during the inauguration. You can switch Obama with any other president and you will still not see what we are seeing here. 

This is unprecedented adversarial media. America is being worked.

Trump lies.  Obama did not.  Trump is a salesman.  Obama was a statesman.  Apples and oranges.  Trump like throughout the whole campaign, showed disrespect to many including the media.  He's reaping what he sowed.  Sadly, he's getting what he deserves.

P.S. As I've said before, I didn't vote for either Trump or Hillary.  I don't like either.  As was the case with a majority of Americans.

58 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

The media has not been dishonest about Trump.  It's just that Trump doesn't like to be challenged.  Which they do.  It's a great reason to have free and independent media. 

23 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

You mean like him admitting that Russia was doing the hacking.

After denying it adamantly?  Calling the intelligence community all sorts of horrible things, along with the press?  He had no choice.  They boxed him in and he had to admit he was wrong.  Must have been tough for that huge ego of his. LOL

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

After denying it adamantly?  

That makes it even more revealing. He is not beyond changing his opinions or his policies when convinced that he was wrong. There are plenty of politicians who refuse to do that and his detracters should be giving him credit instead of trying to make political points.

Edited by Ulysses G.

11 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Trump lies.  Obama did not.  Trump is a salesman.  Obama was a statesman.  Apples and oranges.  Trump like throughout the whole campaign, showed disrespect to many including the media.  He's reaping what he sowed.  Sadly, he's getting what he deserves.

P.S. As I've said before, I didn't vote for either Trump or Hillary.  I don't like either.  As was the case with a majority of Americans.

I generally don't harp on a point someone is determined to ignore, but I am not talking about the differences between their characters, obviously they are very different. I am talking the change in decorum of the media for this historical event.  It is a red flag for what could be some very hard times forthcoming in America. I am talking about The useful idiots who are now frothing at the mouths for civil disobedience. Manipulated by the MSM. 

Edited by canuckamuck