DIY car repair

twozeds

hi…just wondered if anyone can help me out…. I have an old run-a-bout car… nothing special old honda…. I've noticed recently a couple of scabs on her with rust underneath. My question is are there any places in or around Pattaya/Jomtien to get a small tub of body filler, some rust treatment and maybe a touch up paint stick? ( if they still make them lol its been a while)…. Theres only a couple of small postage size scabs but would like to treat the rust underneath main priority…if i can't find touch up paint I will use some old gloss white paint i have at home that i use for outside doors etc…its an old car but if i can get another couple of years out of her happy days….many thanks in advance 

Ah, DIY car repairs. When I first started driving (late 60s), DIY was the norm. I'm not a mechanic, but I did everything myself. Engine transplants (from the breaker's yard), bodywork, whatever. Of course in those days cars were much simpler. A Haynes manual, and anything was possible. These days, modern cars are a nightmare. Plug them into a computer and then pay big bucks for a (maybe) expert to fix the problem. And of course, these days, the problem is usually electronic. The mechanics are much better than when I was young. No mandatory oil leaks now. Just 'blue screen of death' issues, generally 

If I could buy a car with 2016 mechanicals, but without all the computer control units, electric windows, sensors and all the other gumph they bolt on, I'd buy it in a flash. Something where you can lift the bonnet and actually know what it is you're looking at, and if it's not working properly, fix it.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

OBD II code scanners available everywhere - even have ones with fone apps. No need to feel intimidated with new technology. You learned to use a computer - scanners nothing more than that.

And some OBD 2 gadgets even come with their own tub of Bondo.

Ahh I see you are in Pattaya/Jomtien  you can find the   Eco Putty most times in Amorn  basement of Tukcom sometimes out of stock

if you go to Na-Jomtien  heading south on Sukhumvit road just past the Ambassador City hotel ( hotel on your right )

on the left is a large "hardware house" store  ( the sign on front says SKG or some variation SGK  don't know why they wont update the sign)

There is a Thai watsudu on Sukhumvit road same side as the big Macro store and a bit further south

If its just a small patch to fill I would go with the epoxy putty as the bodyfiller  was only available in large tins and doesn't last once opened.

Epoxy sticks to much everything very well so be careful  clean up spills before it dries with lots of washing up liquid and little water.

if you wet your hands you can use it like putty and  use a wet finger smooth the finish to almost mirror like finish very little sanding might be needed

Edited by johng

On 1/24/2017 at 0:38 AM, nisakiman said:

Ah, DIY car repairs. When I first started driving (late 60s), DIY was the norm. I'm not a mechanic, but I did everything myself. Engine transplants (from the breaker's yard), bodywork, whatever. Of course in those days cars were much simpler. A Haynes manual, and anything was possible. These days, modern cars are a nightmare. Plug them into a computer and then pay big bucks for a (maybe) expert to fix the problem. And of course, these days, the problem is usually electronic. The mechanics are much better than when I was young. No mandatory oil leaks now. Just 'blue screen of death' issues, generally 

If I could buy a car with 2016 mechanicals, but without all the computer control units, electric windows, sensors and all the other gumph they bolt on, I'd buy it in a flash. Something where you can lift the bonnet and actually know what it is you're looking at, and if it's not working properly, fix it.

" hi…just wondered if anyone can help me out "

I agree with your sentiments, BUT, I can't find any advice or help in your post.

Just sayin.

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 1:40 PM, johng said:

if you go to Na-Jomtien  heading south on Sukhumvit road just past the Ambassador City hotel ( hotel on your right )

on the left is a large "hardware house" store  ( the sign on front says SKG or some variation SGK  don't know why they wont update the sign)

SCG

Edited by steve187

13 hours ago, steve187 said:

SCG

Yes I think you're correct that was the original store  then they extended backwards from the road and added a Namchai (gone now) and the Hardware House store to the same building,  there is even a small Hardware House sign on the roof  visible from the road when heading south might have always been there I just didn't notice it.