Bangkok scrambles to install elevators for disabled at all BTS stations

webfact

Bangkok scrambles to install elevators for disabled at all BTS stations

BANGKOK, 24 January 2017 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is scrambling to install extra elevators for persons with disabilities at all BTS stations in Bangkok by the end of 2017. 

Bangkok Deputy Governor Amnuay Nimmano has disclosed that the administration's work on improving accessibility to 23 BTS Skytrain stations is incomplete at 19 stations due to delays. Initially the plan includes the installation of extra elevators for persons with disabilities at every station. 

The installation of the elevators was supposed to be completed by 24 August 2016, but officials encountered problems related construction, demolition and the transfer of various public facilities, he said. 

He went on to say that he has assigned the BMA Inspector General to inspect the causes of delays, while the Traffic and Transportation Department will prepare a plan to accelerate the construction in March, which is when the installation of extra elevators is scheduled at 4-5 stations. 

All BTS stations are expected to be installed with extra elevators for persons with disabilities by the end of 2017, said the BMA Deputy Governor.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-24

Bangkok must be a nightmare for anyone confined to a wheelchair. Negotiating an escalator in one requires the assistance of at least two people (not to mention having to reverse the escalator if leaving a station), so that pretty much puts the BTS system off limits for them. They should have elevators that are only for the use of disabled, no-one else.

1 minute ago, nisakiman said:

Bangkok must be a nightmare for anyone confined to a wheelchair. Negotiating an escalator in one requires the assistance of at least two people (not to mention having to reverse the escalator if leaving a station), so that pretty much puts the BTS system off limits for them. They should have elevators that are only for the use of disabled, no-one else.

A banner day for common sense. 

9 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

Define "disabled". Is the elderly person who moves slowly for no evident reason but in fact is suffering from arthritis "disabled" and how can you tell? What about the person who has difficult balancing when moving up and down steps? I notice the British queen, at 90, now puts her hand on a handrail when using stairs some of the time. Is she disabled? Would you deny those people the use of the elevator?

Just now, SaintLouisBlues said:

Define "disabled". Is the elderly person who moves slowly for no evident reason but in fact is suffering from arthritis "disabled" and how can you tell? What about the person who has difficult balancing when moving up and down steps? I notice the British queen, at 90, now puts her hand on a handrail when using stairs some of the time. Is she disabled? Would you deny those people the use of the elevator?

No. I use the handrail now and I can see a cane in the DISTANT future. I just celebrate the fact that I am still here to advance to that stage. To be continued at a later date. 

18 hours ago, nisakiman said:

Totally agree with you and I sympathise with disabled people in this country .

Are there any wheelchair friendly cities/towns in Thailand ? The pavements are seldom continuous with steep drop down kerbs every 20 meters or so and often the pavements are taken up by vendors goods . Come to think of it I cannot recall seeing a tourist or Thai in a wheelchair apart from the airports  . The 7-11 fuel stations on the main highways often have rest rooms designed for easy access for the disabled along with european toilets as opposed to the squat type , one of the few considerations given for the disabled . Life must be difficult here in Thailand if confided to a wheelchair with the only option is to use the streets ,   unless you know otherwise ? 

22 hours ago, nisakiman said:

I am 76 years old, pretty good health, certainly not disabled or cripple; yet climbing the stairs to the skytrain is just too much for me. Will I be allowed on the elevators ?

27 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I am 76 years old, pretty good health, certainly not disabled or cripple; yet climbing the stairs to the skytrain is just too much for me. Will I be allowed on the elevators ?

You are right, of course. I was merely thinking in terms of limiting the use of elevators to those who actually need them, rather than fit young men too lazy to take the stairs. As you and another have pointed out, one doesn't necessarily have to be disabled to need to use the elevator.

Scrambles! I just about fell off my chair. Looking across the road at Saladaeng station near the corner of Soi Thaniya there is a metal enclosure with a dormant piece of earth-moving equipment that has been there for about 2 years. Yes, 2 years. There was a flurry of activity 2 years ago, the sidewalk was torn up and enclosed and is virtually impassable and is has been so for 2 years. The story goes that the BMA and BTS are haggling over who should pay for it.  Meanwhile the misery for the disabled in Bangkok continues. Why is it that one so rarely sees a wheelchair-bound person in Bangkok? Simply because, unless they are very affluent,they are basically housebound because of the dearth of facilities for them. Sad.

24 minutes ago, JaySonic said:

Not sure the majority of citizens should gave to pay for the exclusive convenience of elevators serving a minority group ie; disabled people. 

Pretty unfair. Why should everyone suffer because of the misfortune of a few? 

You have a very selfish me me me attitude.

Maybe 1 day you will be disabled, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Then if that happens to you your attitude will change.

1 hour ago, JaySonic said:

Not sure the majority of citizens should gave to pay for the exclusive convenience of elevators serving a minority group ie; disabled people. 

Everyone suffer? In what way? Because they pay an extra baht on their train fare?

Jeez, you're a real Good Samaritan, aren't you!

I'd happily pay a bit extra if it meant that people less fortunate than me got an easier ride on the BTS system. Humanity is a virtue that should be commonplace.

2 hours ago, JaySonic said:

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

You have a very selfish me me me attitude.

Maybe 1 day you will be disabled, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Then if that happens to you your attitude will change.

5 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

Everyone suffer? In what way? Because they pay an extra baht on their train fare?

I'd happily pay a bit extra if it meant that people less fortunate than me got an easier ride on the BTS system. Humanity is a virtue that should be commonplace.

JaySonic is trolling in several topics. I suggest we stop feeding the troll. He's not even funny.

1 hour ago, nisakiman said:

Takes all kinds to make a world. A sudden misfortune can be an unkind teacher. 

3 hours ago, JaySonic said:

Did I hear a Sonic boom? They will come for you no doubt. Most of us here on TV have some milk of human kindness in our veins. Come forth brother and repent and say "I done seen de light"

2 hours ago, nisakiman said:

A baht paid today is a baht gone tomorrow. 

I dont understand why disabled people get the entitlements, when others with untreated illnesses or economic disadvantages are overlooked. This is a worldwide conundrum. Disabled people are the poster boys and girls for letting abled people feel better about themselves. And Ive had enough of pandering to these types ! 

State-sponsored care for ALL disadvantaged people ! Not just an entitled few, who make up the 'disabled' statistics

5 hours ago, JaySonic said:

Crawl back under your rock! One day you may have a misfortune..............ummm you already have a mental disability? :post-4641-1156693976:

4 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Crawl back under your rock! One day you may have a misfortune..............ummm you already have a mental disability? :post-4641-1156693976:

My point exactly. You state I have a mental disability and you tell me to crawl under a rock. Thats a bit insensitive. If I were wheelchair bound you would be faalling over to help me. 

Please show some compassion. 

5 minutes ago, JaySonic said:

My point exactly. You state I have a mental disability and you tell me to crawl under a rock. Thats a bit insensitive. If I were wheelchair bound you would be faalling over to help me. 

Please show some compassion. 

"...You state I have a mental disability..." I posed a question.

"Please show some compassion." And you have?

Maybe one day, through no fault of your own, you could be wheel chair bound. Hope you feel the same way as you espouse now.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

4 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"...You state I have a mental disability..." I posed a question.

"Please show some compassion." And you have?

No, you made a statement which ended in a question mark. Grammatically, it was not posed as a question. 

My compassion is for ALL disadvantaged people. Not simply a select few that serve to benefit from the BTS renovations. 

Edited by JaySonic

13 hours ago, JaySonic said:

My compassion is for ALL disadvantaged people. Not simply a select few that serve to benefit from the BTS renovations. 

So on that basis, you resent making life easier for one particular segment of disadvantaged people? You have a strange sense of logic....