True Visions fined after ripping off customers over cancelled movie channels

Jonathan Fairfield

True Visions fined after ripping off customers over cancelled movie channels

2p.jpg

Image: Sanook

True Visions have been fined 5 million baht and face further sanctions after ripping off its customers when they cancelled 6 premium movie channels.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) have acted after many complaints were received from angry True customers.

The company has tried to fob off the customers with a small refund but this is not considered enough as their contract with consumers has been broken.

Suphinya Klangnarong of the NBTC will be meeting with True today to decide what compensation should be paid to consumers.

True cancelled the six channels - HBO, Cinemax, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Hit and Red By HBO - and said in a letter to consumers that they had failed to reach agreement with providers.

The NBTC said this is a breaking of contract and fined the company 5 million baht and 100,000 baht a day.

True offered 1000 points that means a reduction of 100 baht in bills but the NBTC says this is not enough. True have broken their contract that says they must give a 30 day notice of changes.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-24

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

True cancelled the six channels - HBO, Cinemax, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Hit and Red By HBO - and said in a letter to consumers that they had failed to reach agreement with providers.

The providers just don't understand Trueness...

Edited by Bluespunk

They have always been given preferential treatment,the big one was 

been allowed to run adverts,5 million THB fine is a joke,just hope more

of their customers see the light and cancel,I still hold a grudge against

them,as they never repaid my 4K THB deposit,but have never missed

them,especially now,as so much content available online.

regards worgeordie

Just now, Titan1962 said:

Anyone using ILIKEHADTV. Thinking of giving them a try.

For the cost they are OK, or you could try IFLIX Movies and Series

1 month free trial,100 THB p.m.,1000 THB per year, or if you have

an Android box,Mobdro app.many channels free, 

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Anyone using ILIKEHADTV. Thinking of giving them a try.

Been giving me a crappy experience. Buffering, and the channel resets every hour and makes me reload it. Have a couple others in mind that I am planning to test next.

In fake, corporate speak, this statement- 

means that they were too kee know mak mak (too cheap) to come up with the fees that these cable channels are asking. HBO is getting better all the time, and with the golden age of TV, they are bound to raise their fees. True is simply too cheap to pay these fees, and also too cheap to lower our fees. This is exactly what you get when you have governments completely lacking in vision, granting monopolies to satellite companies. Inane policy, by a series of administrations, that consider the well being of the population as their last priority in the world. 

More than likely the channels they replaced these with were far cheaper. The fine is not enough. It should be twenty times this amount. As always, the leaders are showing how NOT SERIOUS they are. 

Just now, johnc925 said:

The other bone I have with them is they've blocked PayPal access, presently.. what's that about?  I verified by using my DTAC acct... 

Have True blocked you Paypal access? Do you mean that you can not pay your True bill with Paypal, or can´t you log in on Internet at all?

1 hour ago, wxpwzrd said:

Wow, whole five million. That will teach them...

It will teach them that they are above the law. Any and all laws. They know the authorities are not serious, and they know that those with money, name monopoly, and influence, can get away with anything. This was agreed upon mutually. 

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Have True blocked you Paypal access? Do you mean that you can not pay your True bill with Paypal, or can´t you log in on Internet at all?

5 million baht fine is peanuts. 50 million would be more appropriate. The replacements to HBO, SONY etc. Are very poor. I will drop True soon.

5 hours ago, kotsak said:

5 million baht.. the amount they spent on their hoes in less than a week's time.. Screw them till they can feel the pinch..

I really hope the disgruntled (screwed) customers do their talking with their feet. Cancel their coverage as they have breached the contracts. And put the word out to FULLY BOYCOTT this scum. I understand that True knew this was coming for some time and still did it. Despicable greedy company.

We have dialed back our coverage to  the very basic coverage as they have paid our Mooban like many others, to ensure a monopoly by only allowing their cable service in. Time to get a dish I guess.

1 hour ago, khunano said:

Why would anyone still bother with TRUE when there is all this stuff you can download/stream on the internet nowadays!?!

Because there are better things to to with a computer. Unless you are rich and have several connected to fibre optic cable.