Riding motorcycles on Bangkok's sidewalks is illegal

webfact

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

What hypocrisy! So many pedestrians in the road, crossing it at the wrong places etc etc. And who gets the blame when they are hit....jonny motorbike rider. Now that the vendors are mostly moved out the BMA should put bike lanes on the sidewalks, and make sure the pedestrians stick to their side...or else. 

when do Thai drivers. stop to let anyone cross NEVER they have no road sense

19 hours ago, clifric said:

Quote 'city police will face transfer for negligence of duty, he said' - this is the problem in the Land of Smiles - there is no deterrent in the form of punishment of Police for neglect of duty nor worthwhile deterrent for law breakers. Inactive posts appear to be positions in the RTP as very few take any action of consequence. Having said that, I live here of my own volition and accept that Thailand is different; why should I criticise a country where I pay no taxes, have no mandate and enjoy the climate, the food and the relative peace.

"why should I criticise a country where I pay no taxes, have no mandate and enjoy the climate, the food and the relative peace". Whether you pay taxes or not, you should be allowed to walk on public pavements without having your safety compromised.

While you are in Thailand, whether you are on holiday or not, you are contributing to their economy, and are entitled to be safe when walking on the pavements.

1 hour ago, lamecn said:

Where I live on Phattanakan Rd.,motorcycles drive 20 m on the sidewalk to avoid a detour of 3.2 km to make a U-turn. Excessive fuel consumption and air pollution! Better road planning could make a difference!

Could it? If there is a pavement, these empty headed morons will still use it.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

They're only just catching on to this? Really?

So now we're 'sharing' the pavement with motorcyclists, as opposed to the motorcyclists forcing their way through pedestrians who have the right of way - the only ones with right of way, as far as motorcyclists are concerned.

And these signs are the BMA's latest bid to deal with the problem? I'm sure that even the ignorant motorcyclists are well aware that it is illegal. If not, time for a crash course in road law and a suspended licence until they pass a fresh test. Fat chance of any of it happening, however, especially when even the BiB ride their motorcycles on the pavement.

Either the BMA addresses it helmeted-head-on, with maximum fines for every single rider caught, including the BiB (that'll fill the coffers), or simply stop wasting time and energy it can ill afford.

This could be stopped very quickly and easily, send a pair of coppers out to patrol the pavements, give out on the spot fines, if the MC riders cannot pay them, confiscate the bike by taking the keys and keeping them, leaving the bike at the nearest safe place until the fine is paid.  Most of all, give the coppers a small cut of the fines they collect. Problem solved.

The story on this in "the other paper" says that the tessakit  city inspectors do not have the power to fine people on the spot for riding or parking on the footpath, only take them to the city office ....so how do those oh so vigilant tessakit on anti litter duty on lower Sukhumwit manage to do it ?

20 hours ago, webfact said:

BMA deputy governor Pol Lt Gen Amnuay Nimmano said from recent survey of traffic on sidewalks, it showed that they are now widely used by motorcycles instead of roads.

You needed a survey to tell you that incredible. Now kick it up a notch and remove all the motorbikes parked on the sidewalk. Enough of the warnings hand out tickets and load em on the back of a pickup and let them claim them at the police station after a hefty fine is paid. Take the gloves off. There is so much of this happening you could have a special flying squad occupied full time on this project. 

Just now, mike324 said:

The best solution is to install fake cops on the sidewalk :cheesy:, remember those smart cops with video cameras - I wonder what happen to them.

Good idea I think they were made of plastic. Dust em off and set em up. Should fool most drivers as the RTP are slow calculated movers. 

9 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Good idea I think they were made of plastic. Dust em off and set em up. Should fool most drivers as the RTP are slow calculated movers. 

they should rotate the fake cops with real ones on different days, thats actually a good solution, cops gets some time of and motorists will never know when the real one will be there, hence sticking to the pavement ...lol

21 hours ago, clifric said:

Quote 'city police will face transfer for negligence of duty, he said' - this is the problem in the Land of Smiles - there is no deterrent in the form of punishment of Police for neglect of duty nor worthwhile deterrent for law breakers. Inactive posts appear to be positions in the RTP as very few take any action of consequence. Having said that, I live here of my own volition and accept that Thailand is different; why should I criticise a country where I pay no taxes, have no mandate and enjoy the climate, the food and the relative peace.

So the 7% we all pay is really not a Tax ??

23 hours ago, Oceanbat said:

I live here for work and pay a lot of taxes of which I don't really seem to see any benefit from. Motorcycles on the sidewalk really gees me up especially as they don't ride slowly and are a danger to my children. I therefore feel quite ok criticizing the country and people that think this is ok.

OB

Yes and interestingly enough removing the vendors lets it happen. 

They ride on the footpath because the drivers are starting to block the motorbikes from filtering like they used to. 

Well placed obstructions blocking bikes and not pedestrians. 

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

Put some kind of barrier that only allows people on foot to use and of course wheel chairs but not motorcycles.

won't work, what if someone is on a wheelchair or stroller? I know most sidewalk are not usable with wheel chairs to begin with....but I've seen many people use it with strollers, especially tourists

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Great article on this in the Bangkok Post today.  Can't put a link here, but look for "policing pavements no easy task." 

Interesting that it says for districts receiving more than 2 complaints, action will be taken against the officials in charge of that area.  So, have your wife call in and complain!  I'd be nice if anybody who knows that number can post it here.

In theory, yes. In practice I bet no one answers it.....

2 hours ago, KenKadz said:

Mandating that the police impound the motorcycles and sell them at auction might be a deterrent.

And an incentive for the police to do their jobs.

They do not wish to kill the geese that lay the golden eggs. Small extractions at various times and the gift keeps on giving and making the same mistakes. To fowl a swoop and all the giving would stop. 

3 hours ago, mike324 said:

won't work, what if someone is on a wheelchair or stroller? I know most sidewalk are not usable with wheel chairs to begin with....but I've seen many people use it with strollers, especially tourists

Sure it will work with gates.

28 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Sure it will work with gates.

If you can get a wheelchair through it, you can get a motorcycle through it.

This whole issue has never been a problem for me, I just step aside for a second and then they are gone. There are far worse immovable problems/dangers on Thai sidewalks than the (very rare for me) occasional passing motorist.

Archived