Thailand to fully open e-visa service in 2018: official

3 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Sure they will.

When Pigs fly and speak Greek.

They still haven't been able to get their 90 day computer log-in service working well yet have they.

And they started that two years ago.

I could not agree more.  Immigration just smile when I tell them I tried unsuccessfully (again) to notify my 90 day report on line for the 8th time.   It does seem to work for some people though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThaidaGwaii said:

Questions:
What exactly is an e-visa?  How long?  What kinds?
Which countries can apply for it?

There is not info about that. It has not been approved and in reality just a proposal.

Could come as quite a shock them having your whole and complete Tourist Visa history right in front of them. I wouldn't doubt for one minute it can be done. If they can do it for Visa on arrivals it can be done for all tourist visas. It's hardly a challenge linking up Embassy's and consulates to one single data base. Trying to compare getting this up and running with the 90 day report system is rather stupid as I don't believe too much time and effort was ever put it into it. The whole of the system was hacked which is why it's offline. I will take a bet that when and if it comes back, it won't be hacked so easily again.

5 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Other countries have e-visa since more then 10 years, for ex. Vietnam. Even India has it.

Yes India has it- on our trip to India in November, even though we all had e-visas it took two and a half hours to get through immigration in Delhi.

So does not always speed things up. 

8 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Yes India has it- on our trip to India in November, even though we all had e-visas it took two and a half hours to get through immigration in Delhi.

IMO, it's to save a whole heap of paperwork and time at the issuing stage rather than the arrival. If the E visa is simply sitting on the system after being granted, other than a stamp after a passport scan at the immigration desk, then there is no paperwork. I have no idea what there plan is but to me, that seems a simple way of how to work it. Simply apply online, get a yes or no, if yes, just travel and get stamped in.Obviously the airlines would need to somehow be in on it that fly into Thailand. Airlines flying in to the US are aware if UK travelers have an ESTA when flying from UK. You don't need to notify them so anything can be done if the will is there to make it happen.

4 hours ago, visarunner said:

The biggest blunder. She does not even know that MFA for visa, Immigration for admitting people into the country. 

Or they plan to change that too. Whenever I read such news I get more confused and worried.

Every bar owner will tell you that tourism is going downhill, so where are her 32Mio visitors?

The Chinese do not visit bars unless it is also a restaruant. Chiang Mai is full at present Farangs as well as chinese are visiting

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just my opinion based upon what I have seen come from the Thai bureaucracy at various ministries. Look at the requirements for a METV for example.

I was at the local office recently and saw them record details in these huge ledger books.  Not even automated.  It was like stepping back 20 years.

On 1/26/2017 at 2:12 PM, AloisAmrein said:

Other countries have e-visa since more then 10 years, for ex. Vietnam. Even India has it.

I've not been to Vietnam since November 2015, but the e-visa system I used at the time was hopeless, as you still had to get a "visa on entry" at the airport which took an hour. All it did was give you an approval notice that the airline required to allow you to travel. Two visits to the very disorganized Vietnam embassy was even more of a pain though. Anyway, UK passport holders get a 30 day stamp without all that now I believe.

We will see what they come up with, but I bet it does nothing to help the queuing time at Swampy etc.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
Moe info

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I've not been to Vietnam since November 2015, but the e-visa system I used at the time was hopeless, as you still had to get a "visa on entry" at the airport which took an hour. All it did was give you an approval notice that the airline required to allow you to travel. Two visits to the very disorganized Vietnam embassy was even more of a pain though. Anyway, UK passport holders get a 30 day stamp without all that now I believe.

We will see what they come up with, but I bet it does nothing to help the queuing time at Swampy etc.

The Vietnamese government have announced that the e-visa system will commence from 1 Feb 2017.

What you did before was not an e-visa.

You will get 15 days stamp on arrival with a UK passport.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 1/26/2017 at 4:25 PM, visarunner said:

The biggest blunder. She does not even know that MFA for visa, Immigration for admitting people into the country. 

Or they plan to change that too. Whenever I read such news I get more confused and worried.

Every bar owner will tell you that tourism is going downhill, so where are her 32Mio visitors?

The golden years of bars is over.Chinese and Indians don't go and even if they did it will be 1 bottle 3 straws.There is more to tourism than bars.

On 1/26/2017 at 7:23 PM, peterb17 said:

I went through Kolkata and they had a special counter for e-visa.1st in line.That was the quickest  queue i was in for the rest of the trip.