Issan Women

JGV

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-12-16 22:40:00)

OP - I'd recommend coming to Issarn and looking for a woman. Do a tour of the major cities and go out and meet them. Of course, if you can't speak Thai, you may have problems. The way I met lots of girls(in Bangkok) was to go shopping and ask the salesgirl out.

I've only been in Isarn for about 2 1/2 years but have met some very beautiful women. I had an Isarn girlfriend about 12 years ago, who I thought was totally stunning. In hindsight, she wasn't.

I ended up with a girl from, central Thailand, which I think has the most beautiful women. But then again who is going to say that women from where their wives are from are ugly?

I'd advise you to come and look - you wouldn't want to hitch up with a beautiful girl and come here and find that she relatively ugly compared to the rest.

Hang out at one of the expat bars and you'll soon find some of their wives trying to match you up.

Good luck.

i am glad we got that sorted out then. some people just aint as eloquent as they ought'r be and opinions are like a**eholes, we all got one... etc..

but quite a few of you old (and not so old) worthies got really hot under the collar and i noted that pattaya got mentioned several times in a less than favorable context, nothing specific but alluding to being not a nice place? or the esaarn girls you find there are something to be avoided? should the OP avoid the place for any particular reason?

What are you saying? I never mentioned Pattaya.

Pattaya is not a nice place.

Esarn girls in Pattaya - well that's not a real brainer is it?

OP - yes, avoid Pattaya at all costs - it's where the prostitutes go.

Neeranam... I didn't specifically say you had mentioned Pattaya, but observed that several others have in a disparaging way. But now that I have mentioned it, you have trashed the place and the Issan girls that work there. Once again, just an observation, I take it that you lived there before?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neeranam... I didn't specifically say you had mentioned Pattaya, but observed that several others have in a disparaging way. But now that I have mentioned it, you have trashed the place and the Issan girls that work there. Once again, just an observation, I take it that you lived there before?

Never lived there, I don't like it. I've never trashed Isaan girls. I've been doing some work at a rehab./detox facility in Issarn for a couple of years and find

the whole Pattaya scene very, very sad.

I'm not going to get involved in this thread, and share my experiences, as there will be some members here who met their Issarn wives in Pattaya - they may well be the lucky 1 %. No offence intended.

The Esaan look is very boring and common , in fact they are dime a dozen where ever you go - especially in the bar scene , if that is were you go looking for you wife before moving up to Nakon Nowhere with her :D

I am sending this fool a warning for disrespectful comments.

I was going to edit his posts but it may serve us as a reminder of what a bigot's post looks like.

:o

The Esaan look is very boring and common , in fact they are dime a dozen where ever you go - especially in the bar scene , if that is were you go looking for you wife before moving up to Nakon Nowhere with her :D

I am sending this fool a warning for disrespectful comments.

I was going to edit his posts but it may serve us as a reminder of what a bigot's post looks like.

:o

He does seem to have an almighty chip there!

Back to the OP, I think you have been reading or have heard of an article of 'research' on how farang husbands may be modifying Isaan culture, specifically female habits. There are other threads on that article elsewhere on this forum but these claims don't seem to be based on any in-depth, academic study. Seems more like some media spin on some half-baked theories? I think you need to take some leads from the more reasoned posts here and do your own research, maybe meet with some farangs who have Issarn relationships, good and bad. You live in Sattahip so your nearest Isaarn 'community' will be in Pattaya. You should take everything you hear about that place, good or otherwise with a pinch of salt. Spend time 'up country' as well but always keep an open mind.

Vespa, Vespa,

You sound like a person whom is in the wrong country. If you don't particularly like Thai people & it seems the LoS itself, why are you here? ("well, I was in Paris last year and ..." is not the right answer).

Around my lovely little village (yes, mine. As the only local Aussie I am priveliged to have been adpoted by the locals) there are quite a number of stunners. A wander around Chaiyapum only enhances the sentiment.

If you have been so badly rejected by one or more Thai women, perhaps you need to look at your approach.

Vespa, how much time have you spent in Issan?

What is your version of the real Thailand?

How much Thai history do you know?

Would you be surprised to find that all of the countries in this region have links to China?

For the original op yes you can go to the bars and find any number of Issan girls, or you can skip that little number and come to Issan. find a city not over loaded with farrangs, Udon would not be my choice for what you are thinking of. Khan Kean maybe lots of university girls. NKP would be ideal, do you speak Thai? If not it might be very difficult.

As far as if they are nice, well people are people good and bad, no matter what region, the same for appearances. But life experience does effect how a person approaches life. I doubt that the bar life is an easy one and that could very well effect a person approach to life. But if you don't speak Thai that would probably be the easiest approach.

The other would be to find and use an interuputer, romance here is not the same here as the western world and sometimes some very direct conversations can get you by and lead to what you are asking for. Courtship between an Issan girl and a farrang when they don't speak the same language, is more like a business deal. You will do this and she will do that. Then with time you learn to communicate with eachother. Not easy my friend, but it can be done.

But if you do don't expect what you have seen in Pattaya, here they are actually very shy. But if your patient you can probably find a lady that suits your liking

Ray: PLEASE!!!

What have the KK uni girls done to you to deserve that treatment?

They may be country girls, but they aslo have standards... ;-)

There have been a number of reports lately about marriages between Issan women and farangs bringing prosperity to parts of Issan and the women becoming farang in their eating habits. Successly relationships they seem to be generally

I am 2 years now seperated and live alone but would like to meet and possibly reside in Issan. Where do you meet prospective wives? The bars are really risky and agencies are just money making machines so it must be personal introduction friend of a friend I guess any advice on this. I don't live in Pattaya but down in Sattahip

Constructive advice only please

John

Isaan women tend to be ugly , there are many available Thai women mixed with Chinese blood that are very attractive and unlike Issan women they do not all look alike.

Why not set your goals a little bit higher ?

I am thai woman and isaan woman. Why you say woman isaan not pretty?

Maybe you are not so handsome. if you can't be nice, go home

I don't get the interest in only Isaan women for a wife. You quote good marriages but in what way? Although I am not saying that all Isaan girls are bar girls when they obviously aren't , a relationship with an Isaan bargirl or bargirl from anywhere for that matter is going to be different to a relationship and marriage based on love, respect etc.

But maybe that is what you want is a marriage which is primarily based on money.

If not then surely look for a wife from anywhere, whether from Isaan, Thailand or anywhere!!

For those that quote Isaan women as so wonderful, may I ask why? What makes them better than women anywhere else in Thailand or the world? Or again is it because your marriage has an economic agreement?

Probably get flamed for this.......... :o

I don't get the interest in only Isaan women for a wife. You quote good marriages but in what way? Although I am not saying that all Isaan girls are bar girls when they obviously aren't , a relationship with an Isaan bargirl or bargirl from anywhere for that matter is going to be different to a relationship and marriage based on love, respect etc.

But maybe that is what you want is a marriage which is primarily based on money.

If not then surely look for a wife from anywhere, whether from Isaan, Thailand or anywhere!!

For those that quote Isaan women as so wonderful, may I ask why? What makes them better than women anywhere else in Thailand or the world? Or again is it because your marriage has an economic agreement?

Never said Isaan women were better than any where else in Thailand. Just defending them against the views of Myopic Vespa. Thailand has beautiful girls everywhere. Just so happens my wife is from Isaan and I believe she does love me.

(reaching for matches) lol

I can only suggest the Isaan request for a female partner being for one of appearances initially, everyone has their favoured 'look' for a female, and I can only assume mr OP likes the darker skinned thai lady typical of Isaan area?

If I was looking for a wife, or long term partner I too would prefer an Isaan looking lady as I too find them dangerously attractive. :o Theres something about the dark skin, almost hard faced (cue the ladyboy gags) Isaan look that I find so appealing

sure theres great women in every country, of all shapes, colours and sizes and as in these countries, there's probably women from/in Isaan who may well be bad news. Again, this is the case world wide but mr OP I guess ultimately would love a nice lady with Isaan looks and I for one can not fault him on that

Happy hunting mr OP :D

What are you saying? I never mentioned Pattaya.

Pattaya is not a nice place.

Esarn girls in Pattaya - well that's not a real brainer is it?

OP - yes, avoid Pattaya at all costs - it's where the prostitutes go.

Says more about you mate, leave Pattaya out of it. :o

News flash - ladies in the profession go to BKK, CM, Samui, Phuket also - so I guess that makes those places rather sad too. :D Pattaya is no worse than any of the other spots I mentioned, my very ill-informed lad. :D

Nothing against you Lite Beer, I was actually reffering to the OP!

Never said Isaan women were better than any where else in Thailand. Just defending them against the views of Myopic Vespa. Thailand has beautiful girls everywhere. Just so happens my wife is from Isaan and I believe she does love me.

we're flogging a dead horse (or should that be dead buffalo?) here britmav, there seems a select few who either do not like the Isaan look or have probably been had over by an Isaan lass at some point and are still adament they are 100% right :o

Isaan features on a female? :D:D:D:D:bah::bah::o;):D

Nothing against you Lite Beer, I was actually reffering to the OP!

No problem. Have a good year with a lovely lady whever she is from.

See. I have chilled out already just thinking about moving to Isaan.

:D :D :D

Right On Nok89...

I too am married to an Issan woman she is 'Suay" (That is one of those minor ethnic groups in Thailand). We have been married for 10 years and are moving back from the USA to Thailand next year. Talk about an uncut diamond....Her family thought it was more important for her to take care of the younger sibling than go to school, she left home at 15 to work as a maid, at 21 decided that it was a dead end career and went back to her village and borrowed 75000 baht (at 10%/month intrest) and started a sewing company. (paid it all back in 6 months) I met her when she tried to translate my order in a resturant as my Thai is only understood by myself at times.

She had no intrest in men, and except for the mahdoo (fortune teller) I would have never had a chance.

It took a village meeting to lay down the terms of her comming to the USA to marry. We still laugh about it, but it was:

1. I agree not to sell her

2. I agree to give her a return ticket

3. Find where they have som thum in the USA

4. Can come home each year.

and a few other restrictions.

She spoke almost no English, but was fluent in Thai, Lao, and Suay. She went to school each day while I worked, did home work 2 or 3 hours a night, and in 6 months had taught herself how to type (in English) on a computer, and was prtty good at English. She bought herself a car before she knew how to drive, and could not remember which was left or right, but she does fine now.

I had a sick mother that was in her late 80's. She was bed ridden, and my wife never thought twice about taking care of her. A lot of stuff I know I would not have wanted or like to do.

Without her I would still think that being rich is still having money in your pocket the night before payday. Now I have my home in SoCal almost paid for. We own property in the mountains above Saraburi, and in Issan, and will build a home in the mountains and buy one other near the city.

After 6 years we went to her Village outside of Surin and had a BIG Issan wedding. I even wore my Jo Koh Bahn. Brought a tremedous amount of prestige to her family. (Besides I really do like mah loomb music. )

I think the biggest thing the the Farang has to learn is to respect the values and customs of thier wife. The amount of happiness it gives them will be repaid many times over.

So are Issan women the "BEST"....well I don't know them all but mine sure is. :o

I think the biggest thing the the Farang has to learn is to respect the values and customs of thier wife. The amount of happiness it gives them will be repaid many times over.

So are Issan women the "BEST"....well I don't know them all but mine sure is. :o

Well said

Right On Nok89...

I too am married to an Issan woman she is 'Suay" (That is one of those minor ethnic groups in Thailand). We have been married for 10 years and are moving back from the USA to Thailand next year. Talk about an uncut diamond....Her family thought it was more important for her to take care of the younger sibling than go to school, she left home at 15 to work as a maid, at 21 decided that it was a dead end career and went back to her village and borrowed 75000 baht (at 10%/month intrest) and started a sewing company. (paid it all back in 6 months) I met her when she tried to translate my order in a resturant as my Thai is only understood by myself at times.

She had no intrest in men, and except for the mahdoo (fortune teller) I would have never had a chance.

It took a village meeting to lay down the terms of her comming to the USA to marry. We still laugh about it, but it was:

She spoke almost no English, but was fluent in Thai, Lao, and Suay. She went to school each day while I worked, did home work 2 or 3 hours a night, and in 6 months had taught herself how to type (in English) on a computer, and was prtty good at English. She bought herself a car before she knew how to drive, and could not remember which was left or right, but she does fine now.

I had a sick mother that was in her late 80's. She was bed ridden, and my wife never thought twice about taking care of her. A lot of stuff I know I would not have wanted or like to do.

Without her I would still think that being rich is still having money in your pocket the night before payday. Now I have my home in SoCal almost paid for. We own property in the mountains above Saraburi, and in Issan, and will build a home in the mountains and buy one other near the city.

After 6 years we went to her Village outside of Surin and had a BIG Issan wedding. I even wore my Jo Koh Bahn. Brought a tremedous amount of prestige to her family. (Besides I really do like mah loomb music. )

Your post really made me smile.

You have to find her som thum.

If you don't , she has a return ticket.

Luck to you both.

:D

have to say, a very well put story, couldn't agree more.

thanks for that..

Suay you say?

Could this be where the word originated then? suay mak mak (very beautiful)

just a thought, but could explain a lot of things... :o

Glenbat:

Well the term could fit, but the reallity is around Surin four minority groups (Khmer, Suay, Lao and Yer)

each have a unique language and customs. I have found that they do not mix much and sometimes the villages are only 1 or 2 Km from each other.

While all are required to speak "ONLY" Thai in class when they go to school, once they are home it is back to the native tongue. In my wife's village only my wife and "the crazy woman" speak English, so I am left to struggle with my Thai. When they want to tune me out of the conversation, they switch to Suay.

Since some liked my little story about my wife, the story about the "crazy woman" has alway fasinated me.

She is a very nice person now in her 40's, and speaks with a British accent. Some years ago she showed up in a taxi from Bangkok telling everybody she needed to prepare for her wedding to her farrang. She did not have the money for the taxi, but her boyfriend was comming by train to Si Sa Ket in 2 days and would pay.

If anyone remembers the song "Delta Dawn" about a lady that dressed up and went down to the train station everyday waiting for her lover to arrive....could have been about the "crazy lady". Nobody came, and after 5 days her family borrowed some money to pay the taxi driver.

Well she sort of went off the deep end, turned inside herself, and would wear the same cloths for several weeks, sort of oblivious to how she looked. Talked a lot to her self. Worked farming and got super dark. Would just sit down by a tree and cry for hours. This all happened about 10 years before I went to the village with my wife. She was better by then, but when we showed up, it set her off again. At first she struggled to remember how to speak English, and I joked a lot with her, and made her my official interperter....

She went to Pattiya, a month after we left to visit a friend that had married a farang, and tried to "steel" him. She got sent back home. Now each time we visit she is medicated and does not come out of the house. Even when we had our big wedding with a gazillion watts comming from a 10' high pile of speakers, the marching band escorting me to my wife's family home, 11 chanting monks, and a regular 3 day drunken party, she never set foot ouside her home and there are only 18 houses in the whole village and she lives across the street. When I ask about her her mother just says she is sleeping right now. Better you not bother her.

If I every ran across the farrang that did this, I would proably kick his butt and cut his achiles tendon so he would remember each step he took in life after that what is action did, how much it cost what I think was a pretty nice person.

Edited by old wanderer

Suay you say?

Could this be where the word originated then? suay mak mak (very beautiful)

just a thought, but could explain a lot of things... :o

Glenbat:

Well the term could fit, but the reallity is around Surin four minority groups (Khmer, Suay, Lao and Yer)

each have a unique language and customs. I have found that they do not mix much and sometimes the villages are only 1 or 2 Km from each other.

While all are required to speak "ONLY" Thai in class when they go to school, once they are home it is back to the native tongue. In my wife's village only my wife and "the crazy woman" speak English, so I am left to struggle with my Thai. When they want to tune me out of the conversation, they switch to Suay.

Since some liked my little story about my wife, the story about the "crazy woman" has alway fasinated me.

She is a very nice person now in her 40's, and speaks with a British accent. Some years ago she showed up in a taxi from Bangkok telling everybody she needed to prepare for her wedding to her farrang. She did not have the money for the taxi, but her boyfriend was comming by train to Si Sa Ket in 2 days and would pay.

If anyone remembers the song "Delta Dawn" about a lady that dressed up and went down to the train station everyday waiting for her lover to arrive....could have been about the "crazy lady". Nobody came, and after 5 days her family borrowed some money to pay the taxi driver.

Well she sort of went off the deep end, turned inside herself, and would wear the same cloths for several weeks, sort of oblivious to how she looked. Talked a lot to her self. Worked farming and got super dark. Would just sit down by a tree and cry for hours. This all happened about 10 years before I went to the village with my wife. She was better by then, but when we showed up, it set her off again. At first she struggled to remember how to speak English, and I joked a lot with her, and made her my official interperter....

She went to Pattiya, a month after we left to visit a friend that had married a farang, and tried to "steel" him. She got sent back home. Now each time we visit she is medicated and does not come out of the house. Even when we had our big wedding with a gazillion watts comming from a 10' high pile of speakers, the marching band escorting me to my wife's family home, 11 chanting monks, and a regular 3 day drunken party, she never set foot ouside her home and there are only 18 houses in the whole village and she lives across the street. When I ask about her her mother just says she is sleeping right now. Better you not bother her.

If I every ran across the farrang that did this, I would proably kick his butt and cut his achiles tendon so he would remember each step he took in life after that what is action did, how much it cost what I think was a pretty nice person.

What a sad story, the "crazy woman", thanks for sharing.

It shows again what makes Isaan women also special: the warm heart!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
There have been a number of reports lately about marriages between Issan women and farangs bringing prosperity to parts of Issan and the women becoming farang in their eating habits. Successly relationships they seem to be generally

I am 2 years now seperated and live alone but would like to meet and possibly reside in Issan. Where do you meet prospective wives? The bars are really risky and agencies are just money making machines so it must be personal introduction friend of a friend I guess any advice on this. I don't live in Pattaya but down in Sattahip

John

Isaan women tend to be ugly , there are many available Thai women mixed with Chinese blood that are very attractive and unlike Issan women they do not all look alike.

Why not set your goals a little bit higher ?

Your opinion is so far off course that it's ashame. Some of the nicest most beautiful women in Thailand are in Issan. Like I said it's your opinion, sorry you are so negative. You should set your goals a little higher and be more kind.

Women in generall are a finer part of life.

I have travelled fairly extensivly and in my opinion there Ugly women with fantastic minds and fantastic looking women with ugly minds.The trick is to get a partner with both.

As for vespa and his comments can you not all see hes on a wind up, just taking us for a ride.

I have travelled fairly extensivly and in my opinion there Ugly women with fantastic minds and fantastic looking women with ugly minds.The trick is to get a partner with both.

Just a point of clarification if you don't mind Stiggy. Are you recommending an ugly woman with an ugly mind :o

jack

John

stop looking and relax , they'll find you ..................

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is irrelavant.

Do not ask opinion from other people about beauty. It is relative you know. For every man thinks, no, knows that his wife is a beauty. And you might think she is not.

I suggest you go for a round-about Thailand and find your piece of soul, or settle yourself in a little corner in Issan and she will come in your way, eventualy.

And all of you here, there is no such thing as generalizing beauty of women worldwide. Your neighbour can be beautiful, your sister, your mother and it can be so in every village, town, city, country....therefore stupidity is a priority for everyone here....

Some years ago (before I got married) I would troll through Nana and Soi Cowboy for a Thai that spoke pretty good English, and had a spakling fun filled spirit. I would just hire her to travel with me as my interperter and pardner in crime. I love to go to Lao places, and just off beat places. If I would find some lady that caught my intrest, I would send her out to fetch the girl. If I came up empty handed, well she was still fun to roll around in bed with.

It was money well spent and with a local guide got to see and experience may more thing that I would have otherwise.

Never had any problems about jelousy. We agreed on a per day price, plus meals and lodging, plus a bonus if I came back after a few weeks extra happy.

Edited by old wanderer

I see this topic is over a month old but I'll still give my one baht. I love Isaan girls because like I said here in 2005, they make up for the Black women I've never had. But now I need a new Asian; one that won't end every question with "dai mai kah". You're welcome for wasting your time.