Prudential - I cancelled my policies...

onlycw

Hi,

I sent them a photo with my signature and passport, stating that I want to cancel my policies due to having left Thailand.

I never claimed one Baht. What can I expect? A partial refund?

They are not responding...

You need to read the policy document or member's handbook. It will explain what the rules are regarding partial refund.

Whether or not you ever had a claim has no bearing on it. The issue is whether the policy allows for pro-rated refund of premiums in the event of cancellation by the insured and if so, under what terms.

Most do allow this but require notice X number of days in advance, and they often will not process the refund until a certain time period has passed .

IF your policy does have such provisions  this, then you should call to confirm they received your cancellation notice.

2 hours ago, onlycw said:

Health and life insurance, 2 policies. 

In general:

health insurance will give a refund for the unused part of the year, minus administration fees.

life insurance will depend what kind of policy it is. If classic life insurance (pay premium now, get money when you die) quite often there is no refund.

As Sheryl said, you have to read the policies for the rights you as a policy holder have, also the procedure to claim a refund will be explained.

Here in the USA I recently canceled my Florida Blue Cross policy since I  joined a a company that had medical coverage.  While the documentation on how to cancel the policy was wrong and incomplete, and I had to speak to 6 agents one dy, constantly being transferred, and I ended up having to FAX in a form and letter, neither of which is what is called out in the cancelation instructions, and I also physically mailed in the same thing even though that is not in the official documentation, the policy was canceled and even though I had paid for two months in advance as I always do, the policy was properly canceled 66 days in and I got a refund check in the mail.  I am fairly confident that the law requires a refund, but the trick is getting the policy canceled.